Need help finding active crossovers for home audio use

z-adamson

Addicted Member
Lots out there for pro and car audio.

Can't find much else.

What are manufacturers and venders for active crossovers for home audio?

2 way, 24db per octave, rca ins and outs, adjustable crossover point starting at 100hz or lower.

Two good brands that come to mind are First Watt and Marchand.

If you want one on the cheap, there's always Behringer but they are op amp based.
Interesting looking stuff, definitely like what I see, but thousands of dollars on a crossover just aint happening.

Hmm, might just stick to the pro audio stuff.

And at one point I said I would never again buy anything that said Behringer on it. I am sticking to that oath.

There are a number of manufacturers of electronic crossovers. Add Bryston, DBX, Art and even Peavey. Do a Google search for "electronic crossover".

FWIW: I have
Paradigm X-30
Behringer CX-2310
DBX-223
The Behringer and DBX are "Pro audio" stuff.

Last edited:
And at one point I said I would never again buy anything that said Behringer on it. I am sticking to that oath.

That's certainly your call, but unfortunate.

Something like the DCX2496 works pretty well and you will not find more flexibility, nor bigger, better bang for the buck.

There is also the MiniDSP 2x4 that will do all you want and more and at less cost than DCX2496. However, it's a different sort of thing requiring a computer to make changes and in the times I've used both, the MiniDSP seems to be slighly noiser in the system.

Ashly Audio XR2001. Edit: and XR1001 or even XR4001

Last edited:
The dBX DriveRack PA is quite affordable, especially used. I've heard that the Behringer sounds better though.

I used a Rane AC22B active crossover for a while before I got a First Watt. Those can be had fairly cheap (I think I paid $125 on eBay).

The dBX DriveRack PA is quite affordable, especially used. I've heard that the Behringer sounds better though.
It does. I have both. I don't want to use the overused phrase "night and day" but maybe "dusk and dawn" applies here. The DCX is just way more transparent. Both require XLRs so they are not an option for the OP. I first heard one in the Sanders electrostatics room at 2014 RMAF, where I was blown away and decided to give one a try. It is due for an update (4 way stereo, HDMI or even Toslink input, simpler remote solution and higher but rates would be awesome).

I'm using miniDSP's nanoAVR HDA, which wouldn't be the product for you (no RCA in), but the interface is similar to the 2x4, and I've found it to be intuitive and has all the controls I need for PEQ, xover, delay, and gain adjustment. Lots of online tutorials and help. I can't speak to it's comparative sound quality.

I use a Rane AC23...got a decent unit on ebay...for ~$75
I am very happy with it at the moment, the only down side is that is comes with an external power supply.
Rane is now producing the AC23S that uses universal power 100-240VAC

UPDATE: this qualifies as "pro audio" stuff not really "home audio".
But IMHO Pro Audio stuff can be more straightforward....and less "voodoo-physics and marketing" like some home audio brands if you know what I mean.

AC23S.PNG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom