Need help with my home stereo 2 channel set-up with crossover please!

Brewcity1

Hey guru's,

I think I need some help with setting up my home stereo. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to crossovers...so I want to make sure I set everything up correctly.
I am using it strictly for a 2 speaker music listening system.
Here are the components:

Rotel RCD 951 cd player
Audio by VAN ALSTINE Transcendence Three FET- Tube Preamplifier
DAHLQUIST DQ-LP1 Variable Low-Pass Filter/Crossover
Hafler DH-200 Power Amp
MILLER AND KREISEL VX-7 Mark II Powered Subwoofer (25-50hz range I think)
Klipsch KSF 10.5 speakers (Sensitivity: 95 dB @ 1 watt/1 meter Bandwidth: 36 Hz-20 kHz±3 dB Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms Crossover Frequency: 2.2 kHz Power Handling: 100 watts maximum continuous (400 watts peak)

I believe that the above components should be hooked up in the order that they are listed...Rotel to the Pre-Amp...pre amp out to the Crossover...High Frequency Outs to the Hafler Power Amp... Low Frequency Outs to the M&K Subwoofer...then from Hafler Power Amp speaker posts, I wire to my Klipsch speakers.

Is this set up the correct way of doing things?
If so...what is the cross over setting supposed to be set to? It is pictured below.
Or do I just play around until I get the optimal bass sound?

Thank you SO SO SO much for the help...I Truly appreciate it.

Take care!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

IME setting the low pass crossover at the -3dB point of the mains is a good place to start.

IME setting the low pass crossover at the -3dB point of the mains is a good place to start.

Thank you...but can you elaborate a bit...I am not sure what that means, sorry. How does that translate as a frequency setting on the crossover?
The speakers specs are: Bandwidth: 36 Hz-20 kHz±3 dB...so do I set the low pass frequency setting on the front of the crossover around 40Hz?

Thanks so much for the help with this.

Exactly! Start there (40Hz) and tweak as necessary. Remember, if you can hear that you're using a subwoofer it's too loud. You should be able to tell you're using a subwoofer only by the collapsed soundstage when you turn it off.

FWIW: I'm using a low pass frequency of ~50Hz for my main speakers and subs. Magneplanars are notoriously deficient in the low bass area.

Exactly! Start there (40Hz) and tweak as necessary. Remember, if you can hear that you're using a subwoofer it's too loud. You should be able to tell you're using a subwoofer only by the collapsed soundstage when you turn it off.

Sweet...thank you very much for all the help!! I truly appreciate it. I am learning so much from this forum!

You can play around with it a bit, too. You can't really hurt anything that way.

You may also find moving the sub around makes a big difference. Kind of off topic, but one of the best ideas I've seen is to put the sub at your listening point, and listen from various points in the room where you might place the sub. When you find a good one, trade places.

Welcome to AK!

You can play around with it a bit, too. You can't really hurt anything that way.

You may also find moving the sub around makes a big difference. Kind of off topic, but one of the best ideas I've seen is to put the sub at your listening point, and listen from various points in the room where you might place the sub. When you find a good one, trade places.

Welcome to AK!

That's usually called the subwoofer crawl.

Why aren't you using the M&K electronics? You may have to switch phase on the sub, I don't remember if there is a switch on the DQ crossover. You will hear the difference right away.

Why aren't you using the M&K electronics? You may have to switch phase on the sub, I don't remember if there is a switch on the DQ crossover. You will hear the difference right away.

This is a good point...but my M&K sub does not have a phase switch...so I am not sure what to do about that. Any idea's?

Ah, switch the wires going to it? Or away from it (to the speakers).

I assumed it was a passive sub or I would have asked this question earlier. M&K did make some passive subs - I have one.

Ah, switch the wires going to it? Or away from it (to the speakers).

I assumed it was a passive sub or I would have asked this question earlier. M&K did make some passive subs - I have one.

Well...I just rectified the situation, as I happened to stumble upon two Monitor Audio Radius 360HD Subwoofers...which do have the phase switch.
I am going to incorporate them both into my set up, and sell the M&K.
So do I assume that I put the phase on 180 for both subs? Or 180 and 0 on each, or what? Any idea?

Thank you ALL for the help with this...I really do appreciate it. :beerchug:

First we assume that your mains are in phase. when you have it right with the sub working try it both ways, you will hear when it is right. There is no hard and fast rule here, it can change with different amps due to the number of stages. I would start with both at 180. Does the M&K have an amp and crossover setting knob, and gain.

First we assume that your mains are in phase. when you have it right with the sub working try it both ways, you will hear when it is right. There is no hard and fast rule here, it can change with different amps due to the number of stages. I would start with both at 180.

wonderful....thank you. I will set them both at 180, and play around a bit.
Thank you again for all the help and advice. I love this forum!! :rockon: You are all so helpful and willing to educate. Thanks!

Remember, if you can hear that you're using a subwoofer it's too loud. You should be able to tell you're using a subwoofer only by the collapsed soundstage when you turn it off..
You should feel your sub. Windows should rattle, plaster should crack, and your heart should beat in time with the music.
Anything less and you're missing out.

Back
Top Bottom