Need help with the Pioneer PL-330

jncunha

Hi.

I recently got my Pioneer PL-330 turntable fixed and I need some help on how to adjust my tonearm.

The whole stylus head was changed at Pioneer assistance but I think they didn't change it for the original. How do I know how much weight should I use in my tonearm? I really can't know what cartridge I got.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick reply. It doesn't have the Audio-Technica symbol on the front but generally, yes it looks like that one.

That probably makes it an example of the cartridge I linked to but with a generic stylus or perhaps some off-brand version of the CN5625AL that Audio-Technica made for some other company. Either way, the tracking force should be as indicated in the link, or between 1.5 and 3.0 grams.

John

Ok. Thank you very much. I have some old records from my father and I don't want to wear them out due to wrong tonearm weight.
Just another question, is this turntable any good? Or is it a low-end from Pioneer? I have this connected to the Pioneer SA-530 amp.

John should be back in a short while.

The Pioneer PL-330 may be similar to the Pioneer PL-2 sold in North America. :music:
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-2.shtml

I'm never far away! ;)

Earl, I think you're right about the PL-2. That would make it, by Pioneer standards, lowish but not bottom of the line. That said, even Pioneer's lower tables were pretty good. They certainly won't jeopardize the OP's records and, actually, the tonearm on that series of turntables is quite good.

I think the amp is also one that we didn't see here but it looks to be a good medium powered amp.

John

Almost 30 years ago when my father bought this stereo system from Pioneer people were very poor in Portugal. I think it took him like a whole working year to get these modules paid. I know it's not awesome buy it has sentimental value for me :). By the way the speaker are 2 Pioneer CS-565 and they actually sound very good even when I'm playing a old vinyl considerably loud.

In the link you gave me, where can I find the recommended tracking force? I can only find the 1.5-3.0 grams you talked about. Not an exact value.

Thank you for the replies.

Almost 30 years ago when my father bought this stereo system from Pioneer people were very poor in Portugal. I think it took him like a whole working year to get these modules paid. I know it's not awesome buy it has sentimental value for me :). By the way the speaker are 2 Pioneer CS-565 and they actually sound very good even when I'm playing a old vinyl considerably loud.

In the link you gave me, where can I find the recommended tracking force? I can only find the 1.5-3.0 grams you talked about. Not an exact value.

Thank you for the replies.

Pioneer components from that time were among the best. Even the lower end ones were good, perhaps with less power or fewer features but quite good. The fact that they still work at thirty years of age is a testament to that.

As for the tracking force, you won't find a firm value, only a range as you've seen. Anywhere within that range would be okay but we typically find that a stylus works best somewhere above the mid-point in that range. In this case, probably between 2.25 and 2.5 grams.

John

Mine is set for 2.2 grams so I think it's good right :)? What about the anti-skate? Should I try to point it for about 2.2 too? The scale is not very detailed so I'll have to eyeball it...

Mine is set for 2.2 grams so I think it's good right :)? What about the anti-skate? Should I try to point it for about 2.2 too? The scale is not very detailed so I'll have to eyeball it...

2.2 grams with the anti-skate set to the same is probably fine. Once you form an impression of the sound you're getting, you might want to try id a little heavier and see how you like it..... but that's just fine tuning. You're okay where you are.

What are you using as a scale and how are you using it?

John

I've followed Pioneer manuals:

- Remove the stylus cover;
- Set the arm-elevation level down;
- Release the arm clamp and move the tonearm between the rest and the platter;
- Try to get horizontal balance with the weight;
- Set the scale to zero without moving the weight;
- And then I adjusted to the 2.2 grams I have now;
- After that I tried to put the anti-skate to somewhat between 2 and 2.5;

I don't have any digital scale at home so I just followed the instructions... I know it's not that accurate but it was all I had :p...

I've followed Pioneer manuals:

- Remove the stylus cover;
- Set the arm-elevation level down;
- Release the arm clamp and move the tonearm between the rest and the platter;
- Try to get horizontal balance with the weight;
- Set the scale to zero without moving the weight;
- And then I adjusted to the 2.2 grams I have now;
- After that I tried to put the anti-skate to somewhat between 2 and 2.5;

I don't have any digital scale at home so I just followed the instructions... I know it's not that accurate but it was all I had :p...

You should be fine. Floating the arm like that to zero it and then dialing in the weight you want is surprisingly accurate. I use a digital scale only because it's quicker and easier.

John

After some time listening to music with my turntable I notice that, for example, in Van Morrison albums that his voice is a bit higher in pitch in comparison to the ones I listen in Spotify for example. Can this be related to the weight of the tonearm or the anti-skate?

After some time listening to music with my turntable I notice that, for example, in Van Morrison albums that his voice is a bit higher in pitch in comparison to the ones I listen in Spotify for example. Can this be related to the weight of the tonearm or the anti-skate?

No, the increased pitch would result from an increase in the rotational speed of the platter. There may be two speed controls inside the turntable. You can fine tune the speed of the turntable by adjusting these with the aid of a strobe disc.

If your table is essentially the same as the PL-2, you should be in luck but some simple belt drives are regulated entirely by the mains current alone. With those, the only way to regulate the speed is by experimenting with belts of slightly different lengths, widths or thicknesses.

John

I'm guessing that the problem is with the belt. Probably, in Pioneer assistance they didn't put the original belt and the thickness of this one is changing the angular velocity at which the platter is rotating.
If my turntable is like the PL-2 (which I do not know) how can I fine tune the speed? What's a strobe disc? :p

I'm guessing that the problem is with the belt. Probably, in Pioneer assistance they didn't put the original belt and the thickness of this one is changing the angular velocity at which the platter is rotating.
If my turntable is like the PL-2 (which I do not know) how can I fine tune the speed? What's a strobe disc? :p

Adjusting the speed may require opening the turntable up and locating the two variable resistors that regulate the two speeds. Then it's a simple matter of adjusting them with a screwdriver. Some turntables actually have a pair of little holes, sometimes located under the platter and sometimes on the bottom and usually marked "33" and "45". These allow you to insert a small screwdriver into the "guts" of the turntable to adjust the speed controls without disassembly.

The adjustment is best done with a strobe disc. Make small adjustments to the variable resistors and then, using the strobe disc, check the speed after each small adjustment.

Here's more or less what a strobe disc looks like.

images

A strobe disc will have several rings of dots or hash marks, typically one for each speed and sometimes an additional set, the two sets being for the two mains frequencies used around the world, ie: 50 CPS and 60 CPS. You can read about how to use them and also download printable strobe discs here.

http://www.vinylengine.com/strobe-discs.shtml

John

I know this series pretty well and for the PL-2 and most likely the PL330 you can adjust speed without opening up the unit. There are two access ports near the motor capstan (small round bronze item that is directly attached to the motor) that the belt loops over. A fine blade standard screwdriver will fit inside the port and you can adjust the speed accordingly. If you have any difficulty at all shoot me a PM and I"ll walk you through it.

Back
Top Bottom