Need some help with new room

Hoxtongue

Thanks in advance, moving shortly and I'm setting up a multi purpose room that will be for my office/listening.

As you could see the room is 12x12' and has a 14' high ceiling.

My desk is 4 feet wide x 2 feet deep.
I have one single rack (component width)
2 x HPM 100's
Kallax shelf that's approx 4 1/2 wide x 12" deep

Looking for some idea's on placement, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5222.jpg
    IMG_5222.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 79
As you enter the room, rack to the right or left near the window, speakers in front of the windows so you have a view looking out when listening.

As you enter the room, rack to the right or left near the window, speakers in front of the windows so you have a view looking out when listening.
Thanks for the quick reply, was always trying to have the rack in between my speakers, this was helpful.

Thanks for the quick reply, was always trying to have the rack in between my speakers, this was helpful.

Of course if Video is involved then this won't work as the tv would be in front of the windows. But I was envisioning this as a listening/reading rm only.

Yeah, always try gear rack etc off to a side first I feel. Of course you end up with one wall entirely dedicated to just the speakers and that is not always possible. But if a dedicated listening room, try it. The 45 angle corners may be a good thing.

What a luxury! You have plenty of space and headroom. Love it--and the bay window setup is very cool. I have 4 of those Katallax units around the walls of my studio. They look great and provide a study surface for my amp, TT, disc player, as well as room for about 1000 records. You can stack them if needed, especially with a 14' ceiling. My turntable is on a floating surface that sits on top of one of the Katallax. I have a desk that has built-in rack spaces which is a great setup for a small room. Got it from this place:

https://www.soundconstructionsupply.com

Have fun. You have a perfect layout with a crapper right next door! I'm more than a little bit envious:biggrin:

Placing a rack full of gear between the speakers has a tendency to negatively effect the soundstage and imaging. IMO/E placing the gear in a rack on a side wall is preferable.

Speakers in front of the windows.
Rack on either side.
Try your desk in back, to the right as you enter. Work chair behind the desk against the back wall. Listening chair in front of the desk.

Yeah, always try gear rack etc off to a side first I feel. Of course you end up with one wall entirely dedicated to just the speakers and that is not always possible. But if a dedicated listening room, try it. The 45 angle corners may be a good thing.
Thanks for the suggestions, getting anxious to get set up.

Speakers in front of the windows.
Rack on either side.
Try your desk in back, to the right as you enter. Work chair behind the desk against the back wall. Listening chair in front of the desk.
I was looking at possibly using my desk chair, but really want a dedicated comfortable chair. Hoping I have enough room once all is in there.

What a luxury! You have plenty of space and headroom. Love it--and the bay window setup is very cool. I have 4 of those Katallax units around the walls of my studio. They look great and provide a study surface for my amp, TT, disc player, as well as room for about 1000 records. You can stack them if needed, especially with a 14' ceiling. My turntable is on a floating surface that sits on top of one of the Katallax. I have a desk that has built-in rack spaces which is a great setup for a small room. Got it from this place:

https://www.soundconstructionsupply.com

Have fun. You have a perfect layout with a crapper right next door! I'm more than a little bit envious:biggrin:
Excellent, thanks for the link, was thinking the headroom may have been a negative, hoping it helps.

Placing a rack full of gear between the speakers has a tendency to negatively effect the soundstage and imaging. IMO/E placing the gear in a rack on a side wall is preferable.
Don't disagree unless the speakers are placed far enough away from front wall. I've heard some really good sounds in HPs Room #2 over the years using different systesm which resembles the one here in question. Here are Magnepan 20.1s:

20.1.jpg

I agree wholeheartedly with rack to the side, and empty space betwen the speakers. I see a lot of setups with a ton of gear filling the center space, and I always wonder what their sound stage is like.
It would be great to have a nice view out the windows while yer listening, but all that highly reflective glass would probably have a big negative affect on the sound. So, you'd probably need some kind of window treatment. Maybe some see-thru sheers?
Just a thought.

Dave

I agree wholeheartedly with rack to the side, and empty space betwen the speakers. I see a lot of setups with a ton of gear filling the center space, and I always wonder what their sound stage is like.
It would be great to have a nice view out the windows while yer listening, but all that highly reflective glass would probably have a big negative affect on the sound. So, you'd probably need some kind of window treatment. Maybe some see-thru sheers?
Just a thought.

Dave
Thanks, yes seeing it will my office I'm also getting some material roller blinds that will block harsh light and also help with the glass.

Don't disagree unless the speakers are placed far enough away from front wall. I've heard some really good sounds in HPs Room #2 over the years using different systesm which resembles the one here in question. Here are Magnepan 20.1s:

20.1.jpg
Beautiful equipment!

Hoxtongue,
How is your room coming along?
It's turning out ok, still working on setting it up, but it was a little smaller than anticipated once I got my desk in. But still managed to get a couple of systems in there!

Attachments

• IMG_9118.JPG
    IMG_9118.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2585.JPG
    IMG_2585.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3603.JPG
    IMG_3603.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom