Need some outside the box thinking...

hawkand3

I've wracked my brain and cannot, for the life of me, come up with a solution to the following problem:

I've got a CR-2020 that I'm basically using as a pre-amp. In my current setup, I can't find a way to utilize my headphones because no matter what I do, I always end up with "sound" that's audible through my speakers.

Setup is as follows: CR-2020 pre-outs => Rythmik F12 subwoofer (high pass RCA jacks) => Kenwood M2A power amp => Klipsch KG4's

If I plug my headphones into the CR-2020, then I get no sound from my headphones (because they Yammy amp is not being used) and I continue to get sound from my sub/speakers. If I plug my headphones into the M2A and turn the speaker dial to "off" then I get sound to my headphones and NOT to the Klipsch's, but still do from the sub.

I understand why all that is true; however, my question is: does anyone have a similar set up that has found a way to easily switch to an environment where no sound is played through the sub/speakers and is only delivered to headphones?

I highly doubt there is, but thought I'd politely ask in hopes I don't have to ditch my "silent partner" headphones forever. I'm so satisfied with my current sound that I will forsake the luxury of headphones, if I can't find an efficient solution on those rare occasions where discretion is needed. Here's to hoping :beerchug:

Couple the CR-2020 back to the power amplifier with the coupler/decoupler rear panel switch. But maintain the pre-out interconnect going to the Rythmik/ Kenwood.

Last edited:
The pre-out jacks are always "hot" on the 2020. The 2020 power amp now has just the headphones for a load.And no load when the headphones are unplugged. Which is no problem for a SS amplifier.

Last edited:
Good Saturday morning avionic, and thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I've tried that. Yes I can hear the music through my headphones, but I also continue to hear music from my speakers/sub as well. Kind of defeats the purpose of headphones for me :(

Thanks again for the reply though...

If the pre out are always hot then you'll need to use a switch. There are a number of different versions to be had. Below is a link to one example.

http://www.showmecables.com/product/2-way-audio-video-input-selector-switch.aspx

There are 2-way, 3-way, 4-way, or more. You'd plug the pre outs into one of the pair of inputs, then the output jacks would go to the sub. When you wanted headphones you'd just select the unused input of the switch box.

Last edited:
If the pre out are always hot then you'll need to use a switch. There are a number of different versions to be had. Below is a link to one example.

http://www.showmecables.com/product/2-way-audio-video-input-selector-switch.aspx

There are 2-way, 3-way, 4-way, or more. You'd plug the pre outs into one of the pair of inputs, then the output jacks would go to the sub. When you wanted headphones you'd just select the unused input of the switch box.

That's a good idea whoareu. I wonder how the "box" would affect the signal going to the two amps? signal to noise, interference, etc.

Hmmm, I might give that a shot just to see if my ears could hear a difference in the signal.

Back
Top Bottom