Need speaker grille wood/pressboard

I am still working on getting my KLH 6 in top shape. I haven't recapped, but they sound great, to me. I had to replace both tweeters, and I went with the Advent Legacy II. They protrude just enough that I am considering putting 1/8" strips around the perimeter of the speaker to get the grille cloth off the cone of the tweeters.

Alas, the pressboard, although totally useable, is cracked on each side of the woofer opening (barely an inch of material, no wonder.) So, where can I find these things, or material to make new ones? Trust m, I've been searching, but everything is the same ole capacitor talk. (when I do capacitors, if ever, I am putting those banana jacks on the back!)

Thanks for the help.

Oh, another thing. I sealed the woofer surrounds, and the one is perfect. When I push it in, it slowly comes back out. The other has a leak... but I feel the air coming from under the brass mount, itself. Can I use some sort of sealant on the recess so there's no leak? Something that would dry and remain soft that the woofer can sit into. Thanks!

High Density Fiberboard, sometimes called "masonite" may be a better bet for your application. It's more flexible and can withstand the rigors of the occasional grill removal better than the comparatively brittle particle board. Contrary to intuition, you may want to use something lighter duty for retention as it really doesn't take much to hold on to a speaker grill. If your present grills are held on with the industrial velcro where one side is solid plastic, you may consider the lighter duty cloth velcro. When you go whipping those babies off to pose for your audio buddies, it won't stress the frame as much.

ADDENDUM: The picture below is not of the finished product, which is covered with grill cloth. I wanted the open top for the noise to go squirting out the top (it makes a difference), but I didn't want to a hammock for the worthless four-leggers that the kids brought home before they moved out. So I did the storm drain thing.

Top_Grate.JPG

Last edited:
I was looking at a picture of a KLH-6 and noticed that there's no room at all at the woofer's widest point. If you're an ambitious sort, you may think of recessing that woofer so your grill frame could at least extend over the mounting flange of the woofer.
Either that, or have your retention mechanism on some sort of standoffs to raise the grill above the drivers.

Either that, or have your retention mechanism on some sort of standoffs to raise the grill above the drivers.

That's the easiest, cheapest, and most common-sense fix. You will only need another 1/8"-1/4" extra standoff. Use some contact cement (follow the instructions to the letter) to adhere the standoffs and the velcro, and you'll be in business in minutes.

Good call, Porkloin!

GeeDeeEmm

The woofer is recessed to where it is flush with the front surface... Only thing is if I put a trips around, I won't be able to take it out! So, I'm going to cut squares and attach normal velcro to those, thus raiding the grille 1/8" off the front. I got rubber foam weather stripping I'm going to see what I can manage for under the lip of the woofer. The 2x4 sheet of board was $5 and I can make 4 grilles (provided I mess some up.) I only have a hand saw, dremel and cutting bits, so it's probably going to be a shit show.

The woofer is recessed to where it is flush with the front surface... Only thing is if I put a trips around, I won't be able to take it out! So, I'm going to cut squares and attach normal velcro to those, thus raiding the grille 1/8" off the front. I got rubber foam weather stripping I'm going to see what I can manage for under the lip of the woofer. The 2x4 sheet of board was $5 and I can make 4 grilles (provided I mess some up.) I only have a hand saw, dremel and cutting bits, so it's probably going to be a shit show.
If you have a straightedge (and even better, a way to clamp it to the board) and a good utility knife, you could score it a couple dozen times on each side until it's clean through - should get you a better edge than hacksaw or dremel

You got it! I used my Leatherman. Similar to scoring and snapping sheet rock without the paper. Used a dremel bit to cut the holes and to sand the edges. Rtv adhesive for the cloth. I'll share some progress photos. I finished one, and have the board ready for the 2nd but I'm gonna tackle the woofer leak first.

Last edited:
So, I originally traced the circles for the tweeter cut-outs, but measured for the Advent tweets. duh. I didn't need the 3/16" foam because the original ring was there, but half was inside the cabinet resulting in the leak I had. I used scrap pieces of the laminate wood to make risers for the new grille. the tweeter cone now rests 1/8" under the cloth. I used RVT adhesive for the cloth, and I'm oretty proud of my corner job :) Thanks for the help. I'm currently trying to get these fisher xp-7 for $15 off craiglist, but I can't get a return call. .... I would love these. I need another pair for my NAD amp. ..View media item 10261View media item 10262View media item 10263View media item 10264View media item 10265View media item 10266View media item 10267View media item 10268View media item 10269

Back
Top Bottom