Need strong opinions on the Marantz 2270 please

I got into the Marantz hobby because I had purchased a 2270 and loved the sound. But as I bought more receivers, I found I like the sound of the 2325 and, particularly, the 2275 better. That doesn't mean the 2270 sounds bad as many in this thread have opined. I still love the sound, but I rarely listen to the 2270. Even so, I won't be getting rid of it. As someone said, it is iconic and I know I would have seller's remorse if I sold it.

Last edited:
I owned a 2270 for about 24 hours. I bought one took it home and hated it. I really, really wanted to love it. My brother had a 2230 that I loved, to my ears the 2230 sounded better than the 2270.

I feel that way as well. I always went back to the 2230. There was something about the 2270 that just did not click with me too.

And don't knock the Sony's. They were some pretty darn good audio. It was only the name that keep them off the audiophile's top ten list.

There were other great brands that flew low under the radar. Ever try an Optonica - excellent gear.

So Marantz enthusiasts agree with this assessment 6 years later? Fisher tube receivers sound better?

Last edited:
Blind test is the only answer I suppose.
I have read hundred of user reviews for example about Sansui vs Marantz vs Pioneer etc. I can only tell that the "beauty" is in the "ear" of the beholder.

I wish I could sit here and pretend I have that sophisticated of a listening ear. I don’t. As prior writer stated, you need to hear both. That being said the 2270 is not my favorite Marantz either but I do own it.

This is like asking which one of you kids you love best..
Love my 2270, 2275, 2325, 2330. The 2010 may sound better than all of them. :biggrin:

Last edited:
The 2010 may sound better than all of them. :biggrin:
Funny that you have mentioned 2010. Because in my rig the little 2010 have special status and is not really objective because it comes with symphathy that is so powerless to others and some kind of cute-small. :jump:

ive got the opportunity to trade my fully restored Fisher 400 for a fully restored and cosmetically mint Marantz 2270. I'm simply in need of a little more power and the Marantz is beautiful but I need opinion ls on the pros and cons of the Marantz. I love the sound stage of the Fisher honestly but again, I'd like to hear some honest opinions about the 2270. I need help making a decision like a kid really, lol.
Get some efficient speakers and you won’t need more power ! Also the preamp section in the marantz 2270 sucks And the tube preamp
Section of the fisher is waaaaay better !

I owned a 2270 for about 24 hours. I bought one from Pacific Stereo, took it home and hated it. It sounded very "transistorized" to my ears. I really, really wanted to love it. I lusted over it for years before buying it. I still love the way it looks and feels. But not the sound. My brother had a 2230 that I loved, to my ears the 2230 sounded better than the 2270. I took it back and traded it for a Sony STR-7065. The Sony sounded better to me. I must be the only guy to feel this way.
The 2270 is a nice enough sounding amp (typicalMarantz sound) but it is overrated and way over priced in the market. Have seen fools buy these 70 watt units, with issues, for $1200-$1500! Lets get real and serious folks. Vintage amplifiers are neat to have at the right price/value point but heck even a 50 watt Rega Brio will eat it for lunch in terms of sound quality.

Back
Top Bottom