Needed Mc2205 faceplate...

macman007

Mcintosh..Made In USA
My MC2205 arrived today......faceplate left lower slightly bent and all glass shattered. Fortunatly, the knobs had been removed for shipping so no shaft or internal damage...and a few odd bulbs. Even the diffuser survived. Basically, I need the glass, the end caps, upper and lower bezels, inner left and right bezels, endcap screws, illumination bulbs and the powerguard normal/limit bulbs. Pretty much the whole kit and kabootle. Its covered and will be payed for so I just need the parts to get it back to normal. It even works , just looks like doo doo. I will post pics tomorrow.

Thanks to all,

Artie :uzi:

Artie,

Sounds like a phone call to Mc parts is indicated. I think the 2205 glass is pretty expensive - like $140 - $150. And, I'm pretty sure the old style end caps with the polished front face are no longer available. Dunno about the top and bottom bezels.

Sounds like your amp was shipped from Timbuktu in a paper bag. :worried:

Murray

sorry to hear about your 2205. I had one came to me that way (UPS) a few years back and at the time, Audio Classics was the only place that has a replacement glass. It was not cheap. I sold the unit instead of fixing since I was able to get another 2205 locally. Their web site shows they have one for $150.00. You might have to try to fix the rest of the parts.

good luck

Silas

Imagine how I felt when I opened the box....The only good thing is the shipper is a good friend of my wifes. We were going to go to Jersey to pick it up from her friend but we didnt have time so we had her ship it. She had it professionaly packaged by Mail Boxes Etc. The C32 and the cabinets and all the other accessories were in 2 other boxes that were packed well enough to survive a nuclear holocost. The third box with the amp was packaged single box small bubble wrap with a 3/4 inch sheet of styro top and bottom, not the sides. Needless to say, her reciept for the packing indicates she payed for double boxing all items and she provided a list of instructions to be followed to the letter. Two of the boxes were done as requested. Suffice it to say the person that packed this one was fired on the spot and M B E is accepting full resposibility as packer. Well, at least i wont have to worry about faceplate bubbles for a while. The C32 is pristine. So WAS the amp. Hard to find them as nice as these are these days. Until the Bozos at the circus got a hold of 'em, that is....

Artie

:dammit: :bash: :puke2:

I have said it before and will say it again, unless you buy original packing from McIntosh the amps will be damaged. We no longer supply any trim pieces on the older amps, only the glass.
A new box is about $75.00 from us. No shipper I know of will honor a claim on one of our amps packed in non-factory packing.
Sorry to hear the bad news..

Ron-C

macman007 said:
Well, at least i wont have to worry about faceplate bubbles for a while.
Artie
:dammit: :bash: :puke2:

Well, at least you found some humour in it...I think if I ever bought a piece like that, I will drive..I think the weight is just too much for almost any packing...imagine 85 lbs of amp, dropping thru conveyor belts..even with padding galore, that is a lot of kinetic energy to dissipate.

and also...mandatory for these heavy amps to be shipped with glass removed/

sorry about the damage, but wit patience it will be restored! :thmbsp:

This is the reason i have not sold my 2205 which sits sadly unused..

WhiteSE said:
Well, at least you found some humour in it...I think if I ever bought a piece like that, I will
Sell it! :rofl:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Carl

My addition to the misery is that of the 2 McAmps that I had shipped to me, both arrived with busted glass. One had major damage to one of the end caps such that it wasn't salvageable.

Murray

Ron,

I purchased a MC207 new from a dealer in Florida. It arrived at my house in Los Gatos (about 30 minutes south of you) and it was packaged in the factory double boxes with all the correct foam inserts. The faceplate was smashed around each knob. The amp had a declared value of $6k and FedExcharged me $275 to ship it.

I started a claim right away with FedEx, but they are not proving to be very sympathetic. The initial claim was denied becuase their inspector felt that "No shipper caused damage was present."

I detailed additional information in another thread, but the bottom line is that even though the Mcintosh product was shipped in the factory double boxes the shipper (FedEx in this case) can deny the claim. I have written a letter to their CEO and I spoke to their executive offices today. I am waiting for a call back from the person in charge of my claim....

My very costly Mc207 is sitting in the corner of the room in the box wating to be shipped back to Mcintosh for repair and or replacement....

We also strap these amps to a wooden pallet with steel straps. Yes we pay the freight on the pallet too but it is the only way. The dealers receive the big amps on a pallet and then remove it for their warehouse storage.

Ron-C

Mike,

It also a good idea to tape the inner box if the amp has been out. Was yours factory sealed?

Ron-C

BTW, after you get the face glass fix and if you ever install this amp inside a cabinet with the pan-loc, take off the locking cup at the rear. Some of the cup lock so good it is hell to pop them lose. AMp is veru heavy and will not move around anyway. Even in earthquake country here in California. Don't try to pull on those side trims to slide the amp forward. The amp is SOOOO heavy that it really stress the glass. I crack one once. Now if I have to move the amp out of the cabinet, I just reach from behind and push.

cheers

Silas

Ron, Yes, the inner box was taped, bit it was not strapped to a pallet. I suspect that if it was it would not have been damaged. I took a ton of high quality pictures of the amp, the inner and outer boxes. The entire process has been very frustrating!

Understanable, had a 2205 that UPS paid for new glass when they dropped it on end and visibly crushed the end of the box, repaired it and sent it back using FedEx and they lost it, got paid again but not enough since they used blue book valuation....

One of the differences when McIntosh ships a unit is that our weight volume is very high so we have a lot of leverage over the trucking company or shipper.
About 8 years ago I was working a claim with Consolidated Freightways and they told me that McIntosh was their number one account in California by weight. They will pay us.
An individual shipping to another person does not have this clout..

Ron-C

Ron,

Agreed, and unfortunately I am the one that is out the money and my amp sits unusable as I try to resolve my claim with FedEx.... Very aggravating. The dealer in Florida has not been very helpful. They got their money and I am left trying to resolve it with FedEx....

OUCH!!! This Discussion Is Sending Chills Up My Spine!!! I have ALWAYS recommended buying the original boxes from Mc for their glass faced units. Lots cheaper than a new glass and install charges and the related grief and gut turning and forever after knowing that that unit sitting their is damaged goods.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom