Needed Mc2205 faceplate...

I agree again! I bought the factory box for my MC7205 that I am sellling just to do it right.

My damaged MC207 was shipped in the factory double box, but it was not strapped to a pallet.....

Wonderful News...

The faceplate is available as we know, but is on backorder. When they are produced, I will be in line to get one. Also, the endcaps and upper and lower rails are no longer available but they do make parts that superceed them and will work correctly in their place, according to Gail at Mcintosh Labs parts dept.

She is a nice lady and very helpful. I am so happy that I will be able to salvage this unit. It sound great althought it's looks leave something to be desired at this point. As much as a PITA this has been, it could have been much worse.

My day just got a whole lot brighter! :banana:

Artie

Jesus, the more I read the less happy I am about having pulled the trigger on one of these beasts. It hasn't even shipped yet. I did talk the shipper into getting the box from Mac. I hope she saw this thread.

Jesus, the more I read the less happy I am about having pulled the trigger on one of these beasts. It hasn't even shipped yet. I did talk the shipper into getting the box from Mac. I hope she saw this thread.
Put it into action, you cannot ship these amps such as a 2205 without the factory shipping box, the amp bolts to a wooden skid, then slips into the box, and then the other box.
Buy the box and send it to the seller with the explicit instructions on how to pack it. Audio Classics sent packing instructions with the boxes I have bought...

We tapped each other out. I didn't trust the seller to get it to me in one piece. They was pretty overwrought with family issues. Some folks have bigger problems than how to hunt down/buy/ship Macs. I wished them luck. No harm, no foul.

I've got a bunch of amps, many bigger and badder. But this was a bucket list thing. NBD, but still.......so close....maybe it wasn't meant to be.

I sold a C39 on ebay a few years ago and removed the front panel to ship in a separate box. It arrived just fine. I wrote a very long detailed step by step instruction note to the buyer on how to put it back together because the motorized door is tricky. If anyone is going to ship an MX130 or C39 let me know and I will e-mail you the instructions I wrote.

I purchased an MR77 off ebay about 10 yrs ago that arrived with cracks in the glass radiating from the knob holes. (I got my money back). It is amazing how the chassis must flex and then rebound if hit because the knobs were in the correct position with the correct spacing in front of the glass. IF YOU DO NOTHING ELSE, remove the knobs and put them in a bag.

Last edited:

Audio Classics currently has an MC2205 in "B1" condition listed on their site. They'll pack it right, the condition will be outstanding and will be guaranteed for a year. Been around this track many times. The vast majority of private party transactions often wind up more costly than simply buying the best in the first place, not to mention the hassle. There is the occasional "score" here and there but those situations are extremely rare.

Audio Classics currently has an MC2205 in "B1" condition listed on their site. They'll pack it right, the condition will be outstanding and will be guaranteed for a year. Been around this track many times. The vast majority of private party transactions often wind up more costly than simply buying the best in the first place, not to mention the hassle. There is the occasional "score" here and there but those situations are extremely rare.
That is a super price!! I'd be all over it if I needed another!

Thanks, 62Caddy. I'll take a look.....and yeah, now that's it's been mentioned, I think I remember seeing it. Not sure if "prototype" is a good thing or bad......The comments in Kessler's book referencing that amp are a little bipolar. One of the best but the designer said it was one of his least favorite. Weird......but editorially admirable for whatever that's worth......

Put it into action, you cannot ship these amps such as a 2205 without the factory shipping box, the amp bolts to a wooden skid, then slips into the box, and then the other box.
Buy the box and send it to the seller with the explicit instructions on how to pack it. Audio Classics sent packing instructions with the boxes I have bought...
You would most certainly know ...

Thanks, 62Caddy. I'll take a look.....and yeah, now that's it's been mentioned, I think I remember seeing it. Not sure if "prototype" is a good thing or bad......The comments in Kessler's book referencing that amp are a little bipolar. One of the best but the designer said it was one of his least favorite. Weird......but editorially admirable for whatever that's worth......

I plan on going up to A/C today. I'll look into the reason for the prototype classification of that MC2205.

Wow 12 + years on I never thought this thread would be relevant. I still have this very 2205, and I'm happy to say it's still working perfectly after it's unfortunate experience. I have a pair of them actually, I had been running back then as mono amps for a pair of XRT20's before I bit the bullet and bought a pair of 501's in 2006. The 501's are as perfect as the day I brought them home. I did save their boxes if shipping is ever needed, as well as picked up a few more boxes along the way for other Mc pieces I have here.

Good thing too, the MX-135 I bought new in 06 need some love, I will be shipping it out shortly to Audio classics for service. What I'd like is for Santa to being me a C2600 for Christmas, so A/C can take their time with the 135, while I'm enjoying a new toy...

Seriously tho, knowing what I know now, I would never try to ship one of these monster amps, or buy one shipped, without the Masonite base and factory double boxes all wire strapped to a pallet. My 501's both came new metal strapped to their pallets, straight from Binghampton. I was there when they were cut free, the new unopened boxes CAREFULLY placed into my SUV, taking up all room practically in the hatch area. Those are some BIG HEAVY boxes, for the 501's. The PS-112 sub boxes are pretty stout as well, with the box top and bottom also wire wrapped to an inner structure and outer pallet.

What I don't have, never see and wish I did have, was all the packing material and boxes for my XRT20's. They were long gone before I came along many years ago.. I've moved them 3 times, and they they are a PITA every time. Their sound however makes it all worth while every time I listen.

Last edited:
Wow 12 + years on I never thought this thread would be relevant. I still have this very 2205, and I'm happy to say it's still working perfectly after it's unfortunate experience. I have a pair of them actually, I had been running back then as mono amps for a pair of XRT20's before I bit the bullet and bought a pair of 501's in 2006. The 501's are as perfect as the day I brought them home. I did save their boxes if shipping is ever needed, as well as picked up a few more boxes along the way for other Mc pieces I have here.

Good thing too, the MX-135 I bought new in 06 need some love, I will be shipping it out shortly to Audio classics for service. What I'd like is for Santa to being me a C2600 for Christmas, so A/C can take their time with the 135, while I'm enjoying a new toy...

Seriously tho, knowing what I know now, I would never try to ship one of these monster amps, or buy one shipped, without the Masonite base and factory double boxes all wire strapped to a pallet. My 501's both came new metal strapped to their pallets, straight from Binghampton. I was there when they were cut free, the new unopened boxes CAREFULLY placed into my SUV, taking up all room practically in the hatch area. Those are some BIG HEAVY boxes, for the 501's. The PS-112 sub boxes are pretty stout as well, with the box top and bottom also wire wrapped to an inner structure and outer pallet.

What I don't have, never see and wish I did have, was all the packing material and boxes for my XRT20's. They were long gone before I came along many years ago.. I've moved them 3 times, and they they are a PITA every time. Their sound however makes it all worth while every time I listen.
wow - another xrt owner! that makes five or so here ...

Got the story of the MC2205. It is a prototype and it's not for sale. The price on the site is an error.

Wonderful News...

The faceplate is available as we know, but is on backorder. When they are produced, I will be in line to get one. Also, the endcaps and upper and lower rails are no longer available but they do make parts that superceed them and will work correctly in their place, according to Gail at Mcintosh Labs parts dept.

She is a nice lady and very helpful. I am so happy that I will be able to salvage this unit. It sound great althought it's looks leave something to be desired at this point. As much as a PITA this has been, it could have been much worse.

My day just got a whole lot brighter! :banana:

Artie

You can get them from Larry (top and buttom rail secure + both end cap )
he is making advertising on the top of AK pages
"making parts that superceed" joke of the day ? No, they are completely different and don't superceed anything

Even the box can be no guarantee...even though my 2205 came undamaged. When I was removing screws on base, I could see the screws and holes in base had been stressed from the unit being shipped.

I was in my garage when UPS showed up and when I seen the guy struggling in carrying that box over to me, I quickly lowered my tailgate on truck for him to set it on. He moaned and asked what the hell was in that box!?..lol. After he left, I picked it up to carry into house...and thought damn!!..this thing is heavy! Just never realized how dense this unit is....and thinking....they have women delivery drivers now...and this thing is over 90lbs? There is no way in he'll that I will ever ship this ground. Maybe freight...but never ground. I feel lucky my came in good shape.

Even the box can be no guarantee...even though my 2205 came undamaged. When I was removing screws on base, I could see the screws and holes in base had been stressed from the unit being shipped.

I was in my garage when UPS showed up and when I seen the guy struggling in carrying that box over to me, I quickly lowered my tailgate on truck for him to set it on. He moaned and asked what the hell was in that box!?..lol. After he left, I picked it up to carry into house...and thought damn!!..this thing is heavy! Just never realized how dense this unit is....and thinking....they have women delivery drivers now...and this thing is over 90lbs? There is no way in he'll that I will ever ship this ground. Maybe freight...but never ground. I feel lucky my came in good shape.
I was on the phone once with Gail and started a conversation about handling the transformers out on the assembly line. Seems most of the employees doing the work were women.

Got the story of the MC2205. It is a prototype and it's not for sale. The price on the site is an error.
Thanks for checking, 62caddy. I tried calling them long ago about a tube amp. They were sold "out" then as well. Maybe I just have bad luck. If I call, it's not in stock. Maybe if I get my wife to try it......lol.......
I'll keep looking, thx!

wow - another xrt owner! that makes five or so here ...

Yes sir,, the XRT-20's are fantastic speakers.AFAIAC, for my ears, these are among the finest sounding loudspeakers out there, of any age or price. I've had these 15 years now. When ever I listen to speakers that are highly acclaimed, more expensive, newer technology, what have you, these still sound far and away better to my ears. These are later production models, with the upgraded crossovers, sending different frequencies of bass to each woofer. When I purchased them, I contacted Roger and he supplied me full schematics and his personal notes on what he considered necessary tweaks. Great guy, we talked speakers for hours over several conversations. Truly a gentleman in every way, and with a little work and his help I now own the last set of speakers I'll ever want or need. With a pair of 501's pushing them, they sound exquisite at any volume. They can really rock out while maintaining great dynamics and control, as well as get very LOUD, CLEAR, & DETAILED, whenever the need arises. If you 'Yellow Light' them for more than a few minutes, your ears ring for a few days after, especially playing something like The Who's 'Who Are You', or Tchaikovsky's '1812 Overture'. The cannon shots are insane!

Back
Top Bottom