Neighbor's JBL stash

jbailey930

AK Member
Happy New Year all!
We went to a neighbor's for NE party last night. We've known them for 20+ years, but i have never been inside their house despite being very friendly. They both are from So Cal but been in Va since the late 80s. The front living room was turned into a game room with pool table and these large speakers. IMG_2982.jpg
Unfortunately, they weren't hooked up and they are in need of some exterior refurb. When I was able to corner the host, he said he also has a pair of L96's and 4310s also not in service. They looked like they were used as end tables but could be freshened up with some light sanding and danish oil.

I let him know I have several receivers and sources ready to go and hope to get a listen to the 220s. Apparently, he's had them serviced in the past. It was interesting find at a nice neighborhood gathering.
Best, John

Can't fault his taste in ornamentation...but would be nice to have them pumping some music. Happy New Year, neighbor!

Well maybe you'll be even better neighbor's now and spend some time having listening sessions at each other's places. Might also inspire hi. To get those other JBLs singing again.
Happy New Year!

What a shock! And a shame he isn't using them although it sounds like you've offered to help remedy the situation.

Not to be conceited or anything but being from So Cal if I moved to Virginia due to the cost of living I could afford to have nice speakers just hanging around too. Make them an offer, he/she may want to thin the herd.

Next, ask him if he's got vinyl stashed away.
He probably got busy with life etc.

The solution is obvious. You and your neighbor need to take your relationship to the next level!

Seriously, you have enough electronics and he has enough speakers that you can try different combinations at his place and yours and see what sounds best together.

Get those JBLs back in service. It could be a real symbiotic relationship. No gear has to permantly change hands. You guys can shuffle gear back and forth for the mutual benefit of both parties.

Plus, it sounds like fun.

The solution is obvious. You and your neighbor need to take your relationship to the next level!

Seriously, you have enough electronics and he has enough speakers that you can try different combinations at his place and yours and see what sounds best together.

Get those JBLs back in service. It could be a real symbiotic relationship. No gear has to permantly change hands. You guys can shuffle gear back and forth for the mutual benefit of both parties.

Plus, it sounds like fun.
he does know what he has. Apparently, he had a Sansui 9090 but it took a spill off a cabinet. He knows quality equipment. Now he runs AVR / Bluetooth so there is a chance to turn around this situation.

Now that we know there is more in common, dogs, cars (he has Vette, me 911 turbo, bikes) i will get him back into this hobby.

Am I the only one cringing at the half-full drink and candle left sitting on that L220? I bet he doesn't store orbital sanders on the Vette...

John

Am I the only one cringing at the half-full drink and candle left sitting on that L220? I bet he doesn't store orbital sanders on the Vette...

John
yeah, i agree. At least the grills were on since there was a pool table in the room....i didn't expect to find the cat eye tweeter behind the grill when I asked for a look. Bargaining chip, maybe!

Lol... I had forgotten how little you cared for the L220's, Tom - that said, you might concede that people are often careful about putting those things on fine furniture, and the L220's should qualify as that (given the price these days if nothing else) even if you don't want to listen to them.

Good one, though./

John

When i won my kef 104.2s off an auction site, the former owner was using them as rather huge potplant stands. They were a leftover from an ex partner.

Back
Top Bottom