Netflix doing away with reviews

I find viewer reviews tend to be just about par with a dart board or roach race for picking something to watch ...

I just skim them for key phrases that appear in more than one review like "dumb or no ending"

If it is available, I look at the trailer. If it does not grab me, I move on. <snip>.

That's the problem with this one the trailer grabbed me and the movie kept me paying attention waiting for some clues as to what was happening. Instead of building any story they just rode the tension that builds from not knowing and all the standard incidents along the way.

It had some recognizable actors in it and a decent budget.

Some mentioned Netflix "How it Ends" (Spoiler Alert) … watched it the other night and really enjoyed it.

The "Event" off the California Coast was a Hitchcock(ian) MacGuffin.

I think the 'no ending' and/or mysterious happening can be pulled off if done correctly.

I've seen several movies that ended with it up to you to imagine how they made out and they worked. Sing Street for example did a great job with not wrapping it up in a bow. Even ones like Cloverfield worlked for me.

If they use it to leave something up to your imagination or even just give you a glimpse into part of an event it can work.

The problem I found with this one is they just used the lack of any explanation as to what was happening as an excuse to have anything and everything happen along the way. Why not have nothing be related if you don't have any intention of giving the viewer any information ever.
(spoiler alerts) Global positioning satellites failed, compasses spun randomly, temperatures soared, power went out across the entire country, no information from the west coast reached anyone on the east coast, planes fell out of the sky and trains derailed. The military sent tanks to the west coast (with cans full of gasoline next to their diesel humvees) and yet almost no traffic was encountered fleeing from the west coast. His girlfriend and neighbor were seemingly the only ones out of three quarters of a million people to escape Seattle into the hills. And nobody from the surrounding area was to be seen either. They just went in every direction with the mysterious happening like it was a combination terrorist attack, alien invasion, natural disaster, climate change, sharknado all at once.

Last edited:
A little mystery can be a good thing. Wonder how many people passed on John Dies At The End just because of the film title? Having read the book, I knew better ...

A little mystery can be a good thing. Wonder how many people passed on John Dies At The End just because of the film title? Having read the book, I knew better ...

I like a little mystery; that's what had me watching pretty intently through the entire movie. Trying to piece something together until I realized there was nothing to piece together. It wasn't good writing that leaves a few things to question or imagine; it was just lazy writing that leaves out the hard to come up with parts.

not liking negative reviews of their original content...."How It Ends"

I am just about done with Netflix. They are just throwing crap at the wall with their originals. Although they look good and have high production values (mostly) the stories feel like the pitch outline, just the barest of bones never added onto. How It Doesn't End is a perfect example. What an effing waste of time and not for the lack of a good cast.

Amazon Prime OTOH, has given me Bosch, Goliath, Patriot, and The Man In a High Castle, to name a few. Great character development and writing that leaves you wanting more along with gorgeous filming. AP is totally worth it, Netflix is on the bubble for me. If they don't get their act together I am done. I can watch crap anywhere for free.

I am just about done with Netflix. They are just throwing crap at the wall with their originals. Although they look good and have high production values (mostly) the stories feel like the pitch outline, just the barest of bones never added onto. How It Doesn't End is a perfect example. What an effing waste of time and not for the lack of a good cast.

Amazon Prime OTOH, has given me Bosch, Goliath, Patriot, and The Man In a High Castle, to name a few. Great character development and writing that leaves you wanting more along with gorgeous filming. AP is totally worth it, Netflix is on the bubble for me. If they don't get their act together I am done. I can watch crap anywhere for free.

I tried AP but, was not impressed with the movie selection, and I really am not interested in more series TV. After a while, I lose interest. I want a well made movie or miniseries length story telling. So I stick with Netflix until something else comes along.

If Netflix continues to produce movies like "Open House" then it's in their best interest to remove the rating system.

Netflix has however made many good movies and series.

For $10/month, I can't really complain. Waiting for the next Lost in Space, Season 2. Kind of hooky, but it passes the time.

Back
Top Bottom