Never Opened Gear

Buy and flip. No need to open it unless you just have to know.
Have you actually seen it? I've gone to see a few NIB, never opened things that were not as described. People have a funny way of overlooking stuff like a re-taped box, blemishes or in one case an "absolute mint" preamp that had a spray painted top cover.

Buy and flip. No need to open it unless you just have to know.
Have you actually seen it? I've gone to see a few NIB, never opened things that were not as described. People have a funny way of overlooking stuff like a re-taped box, blemishes or in one case an "absolute mint" preamp that had a spray painted top cover.

Good point, be sure that it really is factory sealed. Thorens TD-124 went for $7k factory sealed, waaay above other prices.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-STILL-FS-NEW-IN-BOX-THORENS-TD-124-MK-II-WITH-TONEARM-TP-14-/362074058798?hash=item544d4bb02e:g:5O0AAOSwAQtZluP0&nma=true&si=Y1bMmh36ePSWrJRyr1tebgGfu6k%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Looks like an extra set of staple holes where the originals were?

s-l400.jpg

The staples go in the inner holes, there are formers that poke outer holes and bend/form the staples. Most shipping departments had those staplers, very common. Our production lines still use staples like that, a pneumatic stapler pops them in and forms them in the exact same way, ... if you placed the stapler carefully it'll even use the old holes.

I have removed and replaced staples that are installed this way, you wouldn't be able to tell without opening the box.

As I said earlier, if you don't open it you don't know if you're buying and storing a bag of sand. Risky. It could also have been dropped, if it landed flat there would be little (or no) way to tell.

Then there bears the question of whether the seller will actually allow you to open it up for inspection. After all, that sealed box adds value, and if you open it, they may lose substantial $$$ for that value-added condition. You most likely will have to make a serious commitment to buy, and agree on a firm price before they'll let you open that box.

Then there bears the question of whether the seller will actually allow you to open it up for inspection. After all, that sealed box adds value, and if you open it, they may lose substantial $$$ for that value-added condition. You most likely will have to make a serious commitment to buy, and agree on a firm price before they'll let you open that box.

True. My approach would be to have the seller guarantee what is in there: an un-used un-damaged complete 2385. We agree to the price, I show him the money, we open the box. If it's as described, money changes hands and we both have what we want. If it is a bag of sand or otherwise not as described, the seller has no "leg to stand on" and either was duped and/or was trying to scam me.

Chances are that the seller already knows.

Back
Top Bottom