New addition: Sansui AU-555A

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by kray, Jan 8, 2019.

1. kray

kray HE>i Subscriber

Just got this beauty today. I have a AU-101 that was recapped from a fellow AK’er and fell in love so decided to look for a little beefier model. After my research and availability I picked this 555A. Cosmetically it’s 9/10. All original, came in original box with all original paperwork. Was told it sat in the box most of its life. Since this will be my daily driver, I’m now on the waitlist for the infamous Leestereo to completely upgrade this sucker!

It’s no slouch at all now. Very “airy” with lots of detail.

7FB63B98-9A64-4792-ADF5-32F44F87E969.jpeg C0ADDB2C-F487-46AA-9EE9-7DA044AD2E75.jpeg 895B46F6-67FE-4138-B0E3-98E36B9C5318.jpeg 04516949-2E4B-45C3-8DAA-2EBDB1B11BD5.jpeg 83F8B386-2B68-4AAA-BF4F-95DAB3997A47.jpeg 8213B93F-A3A0-4D64-804B-00590E7CDA77.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BLAH BLAH

BLAH BLAH Super Member

Wow that box the Sui 555A was packed in is pristine! Must speak volumes for the state of that 555A...:thumbsup:

3. kray

kray HE>i Subscriber

I think they correlate perfectly!

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  4. 911s55

911s55 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Whoo hoo, nice one! Glad you found and excellent cosmetic unit, makes the added restoration investment worth even more.

I've rotated six different amps since getting my new Zu Dw's a few weeks ago and the 555a is the sweet spot. I hope you dig it.

kray likes this.
  5. kray

kray HE>i Subscriber

Thanks! For sure makes the restore cost worth it to have it so minty box and all. So far loving it with the Zu’s

6. kray

kray HE>i Subscriber

It’s like a found a treasure :D

I just not tipped the amp over on its side and found this

6DD4D62A-3505-4804-8BE7-F578BF92D974.jpeg 9D677BC8-7322-48C8-82B5-FD8A17AD16D7.jpeg

BLAH BLAH likes this.

7. Sansuiman

Sansuiman Active Member

Wow, that is a sweet find. I have to admit being slightly envious. Only component I've ever scored mint and in a box that clean is a TU-719 tuner (which is nice, no doubt) and I've been at it since 1996. Have a few other things with boxes that are beat up to varying degrees.

Anyway, you did quite well in picking that up, considering the 555A is a real sleeper. Of course, word of it's worthiness is becoming common knowledge now, so they are commanding real money in most cases. If you ever sell it, it will fetch a premium being so complete and clean.

An unrelated side note, anyone else ever notice the boxes have a silhouette of the carved wood used in making their speaker grilles? I've seen this on many Sansui boxes of the early 70's, and am wondering if they reused big sheets of cardboard that the raw speaker grille lattice was packed in to make shipping cartons. Can't really see how else that would happen, as I don't think they'd spend extra money and effort to "print" that pattern on the boxes just for looks? Anyone else have insight on that?

rasenthiran and BLAH BLAH like this.
  8. kray

kray HE>i Subscriber

Thanks @Sansuiman

I agree with you. Also I did notice the speaker grill imprint on the boxes. Interesting theory about that.

9. BLAH BLAH

BLAH BLAH Super Member

Tad curious about those so called speaker grill imprints on the Sui boxes myself...
    Hunted down one of my 555A boxes (serial number 223109433 stamped on the box) seems like their are faint 'v' marks on the top
    But am having trouble seeing any 'v' pattern on the sides. Not sure whether it's because their completely faded, my eyes are in a worse state than I realize or their were none...
    20190113_104547.jpg
    20190113_104427.jpg
    20190113_104409.jpg

kray likes this.
  10. nosirrah

nosirrah Moderator Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Very nice indeed. Find a TU 666 tuner to match and enjoy. I have that setup in my bedroom, it probably logs more time than any other here.
    Great sound, ample power, looks great!

11. Sansuiman

Sansuiman Active Member

Blah Blah, I definitely see the markings on the box top. Have to figure the sides have faded (or darkened rather as corrugated is prone to do with age) making it less or non-visble.

This is getting OT, but I'd love to know why this shows up on so many boxes. I really have to think bulk sheet pieces of speaker lattice were shipped in this cardboard (maybe the cardboard was between layers in a master crate as padding) as Sansui used an outrageous amount of that grille material given the number of speakers that were made with that design.

So, I theorize that they then took big sheets of this cardboard and used it to make packing cartons from. Would be a worthy reuse, and given the way Japan is limited in space for unglamorous things like landfills, I figure they were trying to reduce waste even back in the 70's.

kray and BLAH BLAH like this.