new audio plugin for windows

• Multi-band dynamics processing restores spectral balance to your music library.

• Multiple look-ahead peak limiters provide distortion-free transient control.

• Makes tunes sound louder and punchier, while bringing out subtleties you never knew existed.

• Automatically adjusts volume dynamics and spectral balancing.

• Corrects song-to-song volume shifts and overdriven speakers.

• Same professional technology used by DJs, radio stations and webcasters.

NOT on my download list. :no:

First note that Breakaway is for computer playback only.

For music:

If you have hooked your computer up to your hifi and have applied Replay Gain to all your music files then this software is not so useful.

This software is for people who have music recorded at different levels, or lower quality playback systems, or people who prefer the hot CD/radio sound.

For DVD/Blu-Ray playback on a computer:

Most movies have a high dynamic range, so you have the choice of very loud explosions or very quiet dialogue. With the compression provided by this software you can reduce the dynamic range, which is useful for watching movies at night (when you don't want to wake up your neighbors).

Wow: lets take uncompressed music (no I don't just mean MP3's) and completely compress it! No thanks... I'll leave processing up to the processor :)

NOT on my download list.
I don't and never would use any DSP's.
No thanks...
Anything that kills dynamic range is right out.

I'm surprised to read, on this forum, negative comments from people who, apparently, haven't tried the software in question. A constructive discussion of the pros and cons of DSPs, in general, would make for an interesting read, but are off-topic in this thread.

I installed and used Breakaway for a week. For now I have disabled it, but I would recommend it for several situations. As I mentioned previously, it can be useful for watching movies at night. It would also be useful for party music (even background music at a dinner party): you may appreciate a high dynamic range, but your less audiophile guests may not.

I found that it much improved some recordings that sound a little weak, and that its bass boost works very well with some early synthpop tracks.

Give this software a try if you have any recordings that you think were poorly recorded/mixed. I suggest applying Replay Gain first, and using the Zenith preset with range set to 25, power & speed set to 50, and bass set to normal. Increase range and bass to taste.

For bass boost with no compression, set range and power to zero and play with the bass settings.

I'm surprised to read, on this forum, negative comments from people who, apparently, haven't tried the software in question

Haven't been on the forum long then have ya:D

General rule is that compression sucks.

If you want to alter the sound you hear that's your thing but don't be surprised, especially here, if others don't subcribe to it.

Low levels are intelligently raised and loud signals are kept under control

Thats was the RG range expanders do, this is just on a digital level.

dew,.

General rule is that compression sucks.
For critical listening I completely agree, but, for some people, there is a time and place for compression. I am no fan of the loudness war.
If you want to alter the sound you hear that's your thing but don't be surprised, especially here, if others don't subscribe to it.
Actually I don't, generally, want to alter the sound (other than using Replay Gain). But this thread is about software that does change the sound. So that's what my post discussed.

I'm sorry that I made some off-topic comments in my posts to this thread. I'll keep my future posts to this thread on-topic. ;)

well i am someone who has a use for this.i play alot of movies,and games late at night.the compression is great for extremely low level listening.before i started using this i couldnt hear alot of things at the low volume levels.now i can hear it all at the lowest possible listening levels.seems like i started a controversy,and run.that was not my intention maybe i should have been more specific about why i use,and like it.

This sounds like what the music channels do on the TV cable.. they limit the peaks, and raise the valleys.. and it's annoying as hell...

To each his own. :) It's not my cup of tea, but I deal daily on another forum with a bunch of computer guys who think their views are the only ones that matter. If it makes you happy, who's to say you're wrong?

Back
Top Bottom