New Cart/stylus recommendations for Hitachi PS-58

brad1138

I am looking for a new cartridge/stylus for my Hitachi TT. I have the Ortofon 2M blue on my Project, and I like it a lot, but I am looking for something a bit less "clinical" clinical for the Hitachi. Price limit is about $300.

It has a Shure m75ed type 2 currently, which is fairly good (in the direction I am looking), it has a more "luxurious" sound, but has silibance issues.

Thanks

w2xpoeBh.jpg

Sibilance is something I would not equate to the typical Shure sound. But, you want a less clinical sound? Try Nagoaka, Grado, or Denon as some starter choices.

I am looking for a new cartridge/stylus for my Hitachi TT. I have the Ortofon 2M blue on my Project, and I like it a lot, but I am looking for something a bit less "clinical" clinical for the Hitachi. Price limit is about $300.

It has a Shure m75ed type 2 currently, which is fairly good (in the direction I am looking), it has a more "luxurious" sound, but has silibance issues.

Thanks

There is a very good after market replacement HE-hyper elliptical stylus that would put the Shure M75 ED Type 2 cartridge near the performance level of the Ortofon 2M Bronze.

The HE stylus should help to eliminate the sibilance issue too. :thumbsup:
https://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=SHN075HET2LP

Really liking my Audio Technica VM540ML. Very good balance from bottom to top frequencies. Not forward sounding, natural. The AT-440MLa, that cartridge was forward sounding compared to the VM540ML.

There is a very good after market replacement HE-hyper elliptical stylus that would put the Shure M75 ED Type 2 cartridge near the performance level of the Ortofon 2M Bronze.

The HE stylus should help to eliminate the sibilance issue too. :thumbsup:
https://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=SHN075HET2LP

A $89 stylus on par with a $400 bronze? That sounds almost too good to be true.... Am I looking at the right link?

Can you comment on it's "sound", I am trying to get away from the "clinical" (for lack of a better term) sound of the Blue.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sibilance is something I would not equate to the typical Shure sound. But, you want a less clinical sound? Try Nagoaka, Grado, or Denon as some starter choices.
I have had others recommend the Nagoaka before. That is on my current short list. Just looking for more thoughts.

A $79 stylus on par with a $400 bronze? That sounds almost too good to be true....

Am I looking at the right link?

Can you comment on it's "sound", I am trying to get away from the "clinical" (for lack of a better term) sound of the Blue.

Thanks

You have to read carefully, I wrote " near the performance level " not on par.

The Ortofon 2M Bronze has a - Nude Fine Line stylus = $289.00.

The after market HE has a bonded hyper elliptical stylus = $79.00.

Nearly as good but not the same as, that is a very good bargain to some users.

The Shure sound may not be as mellow as the Nagaoka, no where near clinical at all. :dunno:

I got the Hitachi from my father, he no longer listens to vinyl. If the Shure cart is good enough, to support a higher
You have to read carefully, I wrote " near the performance level " not on par.

The Ortofon 2M Bronze has a - Nude Fine Line stylus = $289.00.

The after market HE has a bonded hyper elliptical stylus = $79.00.

Nearly as good but not the same as, that is a very good bargain to some users.

The Shure sound may not be as mellow as the Nagaoka, no where near clinical at all. :dunno:

OK, sounds good. If it is "near" the Bronze, it is probably (more or less) on par with the Blue, and that's fine with me.

Using the same cart is a good way for me to save money and I think I am going to go that direction. Someone recommended the Jico Neosas stylus for the M75. It is quite a bit more @ $250. You know anything about that one?

Thanks again.

https://www.lpgear.com/product/e086036.html

I got the Hitachi from my father, he no longer listens to vinyl. If the Shure cart is good enough, to support a higher

OK, sounds good. If it is "near" the Bronze, it is probably (more or less) on par with the Blue, and that's fine with me.

Using the same cart is a good way for me to save money and I think I am going to go that direction. Someone recommended the Jico Neosas stylus for the M75. It is quite a bit more @ $250. You know anything about that one?

Thanks again.

https://www.lpgear.com/product/e086036.html

The Shure M75 HE Type 2 should be above the Ortofon 2M Blue.

The Ortofon 2M Blue has = Stylus type - Nude Elliptical.

I have not used the JICO neo SAS on the Shure cartridge yet.

Most of my Shure cartridges have the older JICO Boron cantilever SAS.

The Shure M 75 Type 2 with the JICO neo SAS should put its performance close to if not the same as the Ortofon 2MBlack and above the Ortofon 2M Bronze.

Not bad for a $250.00 stylus in today's market. :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I posted this question in another forum, and someone commented, in regards to the NeoSAS.

"make sure you have between 400 and 500 picofarads of capacitance total. a 220pf phono stage + average length coaxial interconnects should get you close enough."

I told him I use a Schiit Mani and he replied.

"thats a modern preamp with the new world standard of approx 150pf at the input. it will not sound right with a flat bottom shure cart unless you use a very long interconnect, which could be a problem if you live in a high RFI area."

Does that make sense to anyone, and/or do you agree?

Last edited:
I posted this question in another forum, and someone commented, in regards to the NeoSAS.

"make sure you have between 400 and 500 picofarads of capacitance total. a 220pf phono stage + average length coaxial interconnects should get you close enough."

I told him I use a Schiit Mani and he replied.

"thats a modern preamp with the new world standard of approx 150pf at the input. it will not sound right with a flat bottom shure cart unless you use a very long interconnect, which could be a problem if you live in a high RFI area."

Does that make sense to anyone, and/or do you agree?

There are those that need to put everything in the exact and what they perceive as the perfect format.

Some of us heretics don't care that much. :rolleyes:

That's because we are not using the latest neo SAS , just the old Boron SAS. :naughty:

I wouldn't worry too much about the technical factors of cartridge loading at this stage (or ever). I also wouldn't recommend getting the neoSAS since you found the m75 sibilant. Any SAS for that matter, you must like the Shure sound. The HE would be a better route if you want to upgrade the stylus and not as expensive if the Shure let's you down.

Back
Top Bottom