New CD units, CD transport units, ???

Discussion in 'Digital Integration' started by Moon_Man, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Moon_Man

Moon_Man Dreps Crone Maze

I currently have 2 Denon DCD 1500's (metal, heavy), and a slightly newer Denon unit (plastic, light), that I love and they work, generally, very well. However, I also have recently added a Maverick TubeMagic D1+ with upgrades that I really like for USB (FLAC and Streaming) play. I'd input one of the Denon units using the analog RCA inputs because as "legacy" unit, it does not have as coax or optical outputs. I'd like to free up the analog input for my HOMC > DJ Pre output so I can run my TT through the DAC as well. So I'm thinking about actually adding a new CD player. My questions:
    • I'd love to hear your opinions on not-too-expensive new CD players, and I mean not-to-expensive, and
    • Does a "CD Transport" unit need a DAC because it does not have that circuitry itself, and will a DAC like the Maverick perform that function?
    Thank you. I love AK.

Tom

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Moon_Man

Moon_Man Dreps Crone Maze

My good fortune - I discovered that another unit I had, the Denon DCD-820, had an optical out port. This is a nice unit, with 20 times oversampling, and sounds great through the TubeMagic d1+.

3. frahengeo

frahengeo AK Subscriber Subscriber

I must've missed your original post somehow. Glad that you were able to find a CD player with a digital output. I was surprised to read that one of your other players didn't have a digital output.

With regards to your question(s):

A not-too-expensive new CD player w/ digital outputs should perform just fine, since it is merely sending the data to your DAC. In this scenario, it is acting as the 'transport', and does need a DAC. There are, however, pure transports units that have no built-in DACs, and utilize either an accompanying DAC or may be used with another outboard DAC.

There is nothing like a nice robust transport in a player though. I've got a few units like this, and it will play anything I throw at it no matter what condition the disc is in.

4. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

almost anything with an optical (or digital coax) output can be input to a DAC for CD playback.
    the good news is that CD redbook specs seems to be a floor that most DACs can handle.

you can pickup old DVD players and look at the backside for the optical/coax connections and you're
    good to go.

Drumolator likes this.
  5. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

I wish Rega made a transport-only version of the Apollo. I like top-loading as it's one less thing to fail.