New Chick on The Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latin Groove

I have been reading some of the threads here the past few weeks and debated whether or not to sign up - seems like the majority of the members here are guys. Hope you don't get your feelings hurt by the point of view of a proud Latina who might put in her two cents at times.

;-)

I am just out of the Navy and getting my bearings. I love old analog gear and have enjoyed reading some of the information on this site about speaker hookup and placement as well as a ton of other subjects that have made me laugh at times. There definitely is a wide variety of personalities here!

Look forward to participating!

Elena

Hi Elena -- welcome!

Welcome to AK and welcome back to civilian life, too! :thmbsp:

I think you'll enjoy yourself here. IMO AK is alot like a big family -- lots of individual character(s), a mix of big brothers/little brothers (and a number of sisters, too), a few father figure types, etc.

As you've already discovered, we are a pretty diverse group joined by a common interest -- audio and vintage audio -- but tempered with a wide range of "other" interests including, but by no means limited to, music, food, wine, beer, motor vehicles, antiques, literature (highbrow and lowbrow), film, radio, television, the arts, family, pets (lots of animal lovers here), etc.

While AK is considered a "virtual" community, many of us have actually met fellow AKers in-person and count them among our "real" friends.

I look forward to hearing your insights on the many things we discuss here.

Doug aka soundweasel

glad to have you onboard

what kind of gear floats your boat...( a little naval humor there...lol)

Welcome aboard! Anyone coming from the Navy who shares an interest in vintage audio is a welcome addition to the AK "family", regardless of age or gender. We are bound by an interest in audio (especially vintage gear), and there are many ex-service people here, too, so you should fit right in.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, there are other women here, too. Some are singles and some are wives of members, and we have one or two female moderators, too. You may find some superficially "sexist"-seeming comments made around here sometimes, usually referring to "WAF" ("wife acceptance factor"). They are not really meant to be "sexist" at all, but simply reflect the fact that in general, more men than women are into audio stuff. Many husbands here on AK have slight differences of opinion with their wives, regarding what audio gear looks good or can or should be put in the living room, etc... so it occasionally pops up as a topic. It isn't an anti-woman thing at all, it is just recognizing a general (although not universal) tendency for a different appreciation of/attitude towards audio gear by men and by women.

Again, welcome aboard, and don't hesitate to spice up the threads with a little of that Navy Latina attitude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom