New Cornwall III issue. ...What would you do?

If you decide to return these, I would recommend you inform the dealer in no uncertain terms, to thoroughly inspect the new speaker pair for this and any other manufacturing flaw before the speakers are shipped.

I agree and thought same myself. ..My preference is that Klipsch sends out a new pair (either to me or dealer) AND closely inspects replacement pair for ANY fit/finish flaws before boxing them. ...I'm not sure I'd want the dealer opening, inspecting then rebooting a pair from their inventory b/c it's too easy to damage these just unpacking them. ..I'd rather Klipsch do it. We'll see how they respond. I'm hoping they don't simply say, "Sorry, but that degree of bulging from the baffle is within our manufacturing tolerances." ...That won't fly with me.

All this said, damn! ..Do they sound great!

If you do get the green light from Klipsch to go ahead and tighten her down, then I would lay the speaker on its back, and remove all of the screws, seat the horn correctly (assuming it can be seated correctly, and the cut isn't the problem), then tighten all screws. Just be careful to not overtighten! Just snug. Not grrrrrrr tight! You can feel it.

then I would lay the speaker on its back
Easier said than done on speakers weighing in at 100 lbs. each! Please get some help if planning to lay them down, as there's no warranty coverage if they're dropped and damaged.

Last edited:
If you do get the green light from Klipsch to go ahead and tighten her down, then I would lay the speaker on its back, and remove all of the screws, seat the horn correctly (assuming it can be seated correctly, and the cut isn't the problem), then tighten all screws. Just be careful to not overtighten! Just snug. Not grrrrrrr tight! You can feel it.

A must!

If the bottom of the assembly is pushed out like it is,, the magnet at the end of the horn is hanging down a bit. If you try to tighten that screw with the speaker in the upright position, you/ll be trying to lift that magnet up with just one screw (like holding out a 10# sledge by the end of the handle).

If that horn is a fairly tight fit, it may have just hung up on the edge during assembly. Laying it on it's back and loosening all of the screws should tell you pretty quick. I'd probably get the OK from Klipsch first, though.

Last edited:
Like said, remove all screws to confirm it will sit flush, then readjust. Or put on pallet and get shipping company to pick up and take back to klipsch for warranty. Which approach do you prefer?

I have to wonder, what is difference between a 4200$ Cornwall and a good old used Cornwall for 3500$ less?

ha, you amerikans always discuss inflation, I see now!

Used Cornwalls are had for less than $1,300 for the most part. I just got a beautiful set of 1983 Cornwalls for $850!

If they are going back to dealer anyway,you have nothing to lose but try to remove all hardware from the driver, confirm it sits flush and then retighten. If not, then your recourse comes from dealer and unfortunetly it will be unpleasant. Good luck.

Last edited:
You bought them from an authorized dealer right?

Stop mucking around and ask them to fill their boots.

If a Tech from Klipsch can't walk me through an easy repair involving just a screw driver, then I will return them to the store (they're only 2wks old - still returnable under 60-day policy) and will ask for a new pair. Yes, dealer is fully authorized.

But I do intend to get permission from Klipsch before doing anything. Though loosening/repositioning/tightening seems pretty easy, I can still imagine something going wrong. With my luck, as I back a screw out I'll dislodge one of the tee-nuts on the back of the baffle and I'll then have to remove the woofer to fish it out. ..So, no, not doing anything until they say, "Go ahead, loosen the screws and try to reposition the mid-range driver, we'll assume the risk should anything go wrong".

But I do intend to get permission from Klipsch before doing anything. Though loosening/repositioning/tightening seems pretty easy, I can still imagine something going wrong.

I should have added that might be a good idea.... you don't want to give them any excuse not to honor you.

However, if they are only 2 weeks old just get your money back and buy a different pair.

If a Tech from Klipsch can't walk me through an easy repair involving just a screw driver, then I will return them to the store (they're only 2wks old - still returnable under 60-day policy) and will ask for a new pair. Yes, dealer is fully authorized.

But I do intend to get permission from Klipsch before doing anything. Though loosening/repositioning/tightening seems pretty easy, I can still imagine something going wrong. With my luck, as I back a screw out I'll dislodge one of the tee-nuts on the back of the baffle and I'll then have to remove the woofer to fish it out. ..So, no, not doing anything until they say, "Go ahead, loosen the screws and try to reposition the mid-range driver, we'll assume the risk should anything go wrong".

Why are you even ****ing around with this?

Get the dealer to do their job for christsakes, which is to sort this out for you.

Because of their size and the hassle of reboxing them I don’t mind investing a few minutes of time trying to resolve this without returning them. I am skeptical however. I suspect the relief in the baffle that was routed for the driver was not accurate meaning no Amount of repositioning will fix this.

So, yes in all likelihood these will be going back. In fact, I may insist the dealer come and retrieve them and bring the new pair. They will have to understand that given I had one pair with fit & finish issues I will be scrutinizing the next pair very very carefully

Because of their size and the hassle of reboxing them I don’t mind investing a few minutes of time trying to resolve this without returning them. I am skeptical however. I suspect the relief in the baffle that was routed for the driver was not accurate meaning no Amount of repositioning will fix this.

So, yes in all likelihood these will be going back. In fact, I may insist the dealer come and retrieve them and bring the new pair. They will have to understand that given I had one pair with fit & finish issues I will be scrutinizing the next pair very very carefully

Have the dealer come look, and see if they can be properly fixed. Klipsch doesn't want them back, the dealer doesn't want them back.

That is your leverage to have them to come to you to sort it out. Stop making it harder than it is.

"Have the dealer come look, and see if they can be properly fixed." "Stop making it harder than it is"

I think we agree that easiest is best. For me, that's attempting to repositioning the driver myself rather than having to be home during work hours so they can do the same simple thing. Plus, I worry that if the dealer comes out and can't easily re-position it, they will then insist on some more invasive remedy like deepening the recess with a dremel tool, or maybe grinding the flange on the driver. As you said, they don't want these back. But I would find such remedies unacceptable. So I'd rather try the easiest remedy myself or ask for replacements.

Last edited:
Do these have a support bracket on the rear of the horn? if they do, I would imagine it would need to be adjusted as well.

Back
Top Bottom