New documentary - Chasing Trane - and Audio damage!

hjames

We are all just walking each other home.
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
I was killing time last Saturday and dialed up "Chasing Trane" on Netflix (via my TIVO Roamio) . As soon as it started I was bombarded with drums and sax in fully separated dramatic surround sound. Amazing stuff. I kept watching and enjoyed the film (tho the rest did not have that dramatic separation). I do highly recommend the film if you like John Coltrane's music - there are new family video and such in the film. Even his late in life trip to Japan.

I also have a season pass on my DVR for the PBS show "Independent Lens." I think I saw the Muscles Shoals film there first. Anyway, last night I noticed Independent Lens had a listing for the "Chasing Trane" film - and I wanted Emma to hear that dramatic Audio intro - so I sytarted playing it back on the TIVO and ... the audio on the PBS version was all flattened down and not dramatic. I quick cued up the Netflix version and played there so she could hear the difference... and that got me to wondering, what else has been aired on multiple media and (perhaps) had audio lost in the translation?

Last edited:
Been meaning to check that one out. There are also a couple of good Sonny Rollins doc's out as well.

I have know idea what killed the audio.
But I can see PBS trying to save a buck by going with an inferior version.
Just speculation on my part.

I did see the Coltrane doc on Netflix and enjoyed it very much.

I've been listening to his first two albums lately and it was a treat to place them into context.

I saw it a couple days ago, and didn’t really love it. I always love to hear what Sonny Rollins has to say though.

I thought it was a good documentary. There's a bit where John Densmore relates hearing the quartet with Elvin Jones on successive occasions and how his playing style and interaction with Coltrane infused his own drumming with The Doors. I think his comment was that Elvin gave him his hands or something to that effect.

I did not want to open this thread when I saw that audio damage thing.

Glad it was not your ears or speakers that suffered the damage.

Back
Top Bottom