New England OktoberFrankenFest October 20th in Clinton MA

This is starting to sound like an interesting day, we'll have something cheap and cheerful along with something that squeals. With any luck they will be one and the same :banana::banana::banana:

More than likely - but Frank hasn't been in the shop this week and I haven't been able to reach him on the details pertaining to available space and such.

More than likely - but Frank hasn't been in the shop this week and I haven't been able to reach him on the details pertaining to available space and such.

Well I'll keep an eye on the weather report as we get closer, if it looks like it will be dry I'll bring a bunch of food for the grill.

This cool, damp weather has me jonesing for this gathering. Jim, has the turntable set-up clinic been confirmed yet? If so, do you still need a couple of demo tables?

-Daren

I can bring this if it will help :D

This is starting to sound like an interesting day, we'll have something cheap and cheerful along with something that squeals. With any luck they will be one and the same :banana::banana::banana:

Last edited:
I can bring this if it will help :D
attachment.php
I'm sure it will pole very well during this election season.

Really looking forward to this. I'll be bringing my new (to me) TD-160 along with some of my better records and some of my better SACDs.

Microscope for stylus inspections? Stylus cleaning?

I'm not sure if we're having a TT setup clinic on Saturday. If so, it might be nice to inspect stylii for wear, dirt, etc. I recently picked up a fairly nice AO Reichert-Jung 150 microscope for $30 with the idea of setting it up to look at stylii. It needs cleaning first and that may be all I get to do before Saturday.

To really work well for stylus inspection, I'll have to modify or remove the slide stage and create or find a good side lighting setup. With the slide stage in place, it works fine if you take the stylus out of the cartridge so that the tip is within the focusing range of the scope. I've shone an LED flashlight in from the side and that works OK. The right way to do it is with diffused light sources on each side.

EDIT - I just ordered the same 20W halogen lights used in Sparky's stylus microscope build thread. They should get here by Thursday. I'm not sure I'll be able to get them mounted up on the microscope before Saturday but I'll try.

If there's interest in checking stylii, I'll clean this up and will bring it. If anyone has lights that could illuminate the stylus from the sides and top, please bring them along. Of course, if someone has a microscope already set up to do this, it would be better to use that than whatever I can come up with.

Since I'm betting that some of the stylii will turn out to be dirty, if anyone has good stylus cleaner and technique, we could clean them too. I'm sure people would be happy to pay a couple of bucks for the stylus cleaner used.

Last edited:
I'm not too concerned with the setup, I was just going to bring it to play. But if there isn't going to be a spot for it no worries at all, I'm sure there will be more than enough to listen to.

Hi, all. Brand new member here, who plans to attend the Saturday event. I have been out of the audiophile scene for quite some time (20 years!), but have some decent vintage audio gear. Is this sort of event a good place to meet potential buyers? If so, I don't know if I should bring the gear (turntables can be fragile) or just bring a list and some pictures.

I can provide a list of stuff, but want to be sure I don't violate any forum rules. I made that mistake in another (non-audio) forum and it got ugly. I'd rather not formally list my items (in the proper forum, of course) until after the Saturday event.

Welcome, GLHS239. There's a separate Barter Town thread for posting items for sale. You need to be an AK Subscriber to read and post in the Barter Town section but it's well worth it. It's sometimes helpful to post nice and/or expensive items ahead of time so potential buyers can contact you before the event but you can also bring them to Clinton on Saturday and see what happens.

Last edited:
Hi, all. Brand new member here, who plans to attend the Saturday event. I have been out of the audiophile scene for quite some time (20 years!), but have some decent vintage audio gear. Is this sort of event a good place to meet potential buyers? If so, I don't know if I should bring the gear (turntables can be fragile) or just bring a list and some pictures.

I can provide a list of stuff, but want to be sure I don't violate any forum rules. I made that mistake in another (non-audio) forum and it got ugly. I'd rather not formally list my items (in the proper forum, of course) until after the Saturday event.
First I'd like to welcome you to AK.
So far you're fine in not listing any specific items for sale - just your general intent.
That being said all that you've mentioned is fine. Feel free to bring gear for sale or to demonstrate. Also feel free to bring pictures or a list of items.
See you Saturday!
JimB

Jim,

I just bought some great stuff off a local guy that has boxes of $1 records and more boxes of $3-$5 records.
Most are in excellent condition with the rest in VG+.
He drops his Ebay no-sale records to 5, then to 3 if they don't sell at 5, then to $1.
$1 but no junk :yes:
I didn't know if it would be appropriate to invite him to bring his stuff without checking first.
Should I invite him?

Back
Top Bottom