New England OktoberFrankenFest October 20th in Clinton MA

Anyone have a laserdisc they could bring? I have a Pioneer player and although I know it will play CDs I don't have a laserdisc to verify video playback. I won't be able to make it down until early afternoon.

Last edited:
I'll bring a few laserdiscs if you bring Alex Vogel with you! Seriously, remind me on Friday and I'll bring some test discs along with me. Which model is it? Will there a be a TV available? Just because you get audio output, that does not mean that an image will be available. Laserdisc players are sometimes tempermental...

I'll bring a few laserdiscs if you bring Alex Vogel with you! Seriously, remind me on Friday and I'll bring some test discs along with me. Which model is it? Will there a be a TV available? Just because you get audio output, that does not mean that an image will be available. Laserdisc players are sometimes tempermental...

My wife's Mini Cooper has an appointment with Alex tomorrow. I have a small CRT TV, I plan to bring to verify video. I will PM you on Friday.

Sounds good, Dublin! I don't remember the Harvard record dealer's name! He sells on ebay...but I drove out to get a bunch of 78's he was giving away. I'll have to see if I can find him!

T minus 5 update.
Talked to Frank this morning and he's all set. He's trying to confirm the availability of both front rooms - one he's sure of at this point.
Besides the aforementioned record dealer there's another from West Boylston who's planning on attending.
Also, I just got word that a bunch of folks from the infamous Boston Audio Society will be in attendance (they'll be bringing pizza and other snack worthy foods).
I also anticipate some guys from DIY Audio.

I think we'll be getting a whole bunch of LPs for sale - let's try to put those in one of the front rooms so we don't jam up the central hallway.

Looks like another terrific event!

I'll try and be as dependable as the seasons.
I'll bring cheese n'crackers.

I think we might need to do a tally on what workshops there will be, if any, and what times they'll be at so people can plan their day accordingly.

Last edited:
At this point I've come up dry on someone to host the turntable workshop.

Any volunteers?

I'm planning on having a session for people to practice soldering - specifically PC Boards, and how to use a multimeter. Those are more conducive to one-on-one sessions and as such can go on throughout the day.

If you (Don) are planning on session on subwoofers that may be a more structured situation.

Would any one else like to do a session or presentation you can announce it here or just do it.
I was thinking a headphone comparison but we would need someone to own that.

For my hifi comparison I'm planning on setting up a high end CD player and A/B comparing it to a cheapie CD player.
I'll run them both simultaneously with the same source material and have a provision for level setting.

The model is a Pioneer CLD-3030

Sure, I'll do a subwoofer thing. There will be handouts and a write-up.

I'll bring a sub and just hook it up into someone's system. Anybody running an SS piece with speakers A and B or with a preamp RCA out will do. As long as there's a tap for speakers or line level that the volume control changes gain on, I'm good.

Welcome, GLHS239. There's a separate Barter Town thread for posting items for sale. You need to be an AK Subscriber to read and post in the Barter Town section but it's well worth it. It's sometimes helpful to post nice and/or expensive items ahead of time so potential buyers can contact you before the event but you can also bring them to Clinton on Saturday and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip! I just subscribed, and will try to post something on Barter Town this eve. I wish I had another week before the event to prepare a better listing, but I'm super busy having just started a new job.

UPDATE

I just talked with Paul aka delihaus - he's been swamped at work and hasn't had a chance (shudder) to check in to AK lately.

While he's not prepared to put on a turntable clinic he did agree to host a turntable roundtable discussion (thanks to Stephanie for the suggestion).

Paul is 98% sure he'll be able to attend (something about leather stains and getting his chaps back from the cleaners) but decided that since he's been working so hard as of late he deserves a break (yay).

We are planing for the TT roundtable to start at 3PM. I would say that if anyone has a turntable they want to set up they should bring it with the understanding that guidance will be given but they will need to be the hands on their gear. This also means that you'll be responsibile if something goes accidentally awry.

Also keep in mind that once you move your TT from the GTG you will need to recheck it at your home listening position.

You should also bring some small tools (screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, scale, cartridge alignment jig) that you may have.

And one would be wise to stay away from the beer until after the fine work is done!

4 more days...:banana:

Hi, I'm a new member to Audiokarma, but a long time, avid audio guy. I live in Clinton, and am trying to organize my Saturday schedule to stop by. Looking forward to this gathering.

Best to unload and then park in the lot across the street though. Then others can pull up to the loading dock to unload and load also. Some people bring a lot of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom