New England Winter Frankenfest February 23rd Clinton MA

I really like this weather.

2 days w/out power. 34*F in the house. I'm pretty sure I dislike this weather.

Lads, I need your help. I'm hoping one of you guys is really good soldering on a pc board. The male rca plug on the interconnect between pre and amp was too tight, and I tore off the female rca connector on my preamp. Mono for me now, baby. When it snows, it pours...

Attachments

• IMAG2425.jpg
    IMAG2425.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 31
That looks like you tore the connections off of the socket itself (rather then from the PCB). Looks like the shield is gone too.
You might need a new socket - or we could solder a cable on for you which would work fine but be a bit of a hack.

That looks like you tore the connections off of the socket itself (rather then from the PCB). Looks like the shield is gone too.
You might need a new socket - or we could solder a cable on for you which would work fine but be a bit of a hack.

I did solder a jumper wire, like you suggest, and it worked fine for a while, until I tore the socket off for good. The preamp manufacturer is not in business any more, so I though we could un-solder one of the sockets from an unused AUX input [of which there are 4, and I only use one of them], and solder it in place of the missing one.

Attachments

• IMAG2458.jpg
    IMAG2458.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 23
Good call, John. I don't know if it'll help, but it's marked "J.T 4"

Attachments

• IMAG2459.jpg
    IMAG2459.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 25
Got a buck?
Here's one from www.mouser.com:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...GAEpiMZZMv0W4pxf2HiV7sv6uhfrItv30px%2b/GZVas=

I searched under audio/video connectors - RCA - Female - PCB mount.
They're available in different colors. Look at the data sheets and verify the measurements.
I'd guess these are a standard size.

PJRAN1X1U03.jpg

Thanks a lot! Looks like the one that broke, and the price is right. Just ordered it. :)
I'll bring the preamp to the Festivus, if someone who knows how to solder neat is willing to do the job. Then we'll listen to all the glory of the Juicy Music Blueberry. I love that preamp. Along with the Khorns it was the best money I spent in all of my years in audio.

There should be plenty of people who can sling solder there.

Once it is fixed I would love to give it a go with my musical fidelity amp that I will be bringing. Only going to bring some smaller speakers this time though (lugging the vandies is just too much work! That and I don't feel like restapleing the socks yet :p ). I will have my studio monitors and a pair of Overnight Sensations along with my new prototype effort of a cheep portable acoustic space! (Trying to find a way to make a sort of copy of a smaller and cheeper ASC Tube Trap atack wall). I will try to bring the Stax again as well. The source will just be my laptop with my DAC.

Anyone know any good cheep hotels nearby? I will likely spend the night rather than drive home.

I'll be sure to toss my solder kit into the car, just to be sure. And I'm sure I won't be the only one!

Anyone know any good cheep hotels nearby? I will likely spend the night rather than drive home.

People say the Clinton Motor Inn is a horror show full of junkies.
Look in Marlboro, West Boylston or Leominster.

Thanks a lot! Looks like the one that broke, and the price is right. Just ordered it. :)
I'll bring the preamp to the Festivus, if someone who knows how to solder neat is willing to do the job. Then we'll listen to all the glory of the Juicy Music Blueberry. I love that preamp. Along with the Khorns it was the best money I spent in all of my years in audio.

There should be plenty of people who can sling solder there.

Once it is fixed I would love to give it a go with my musical fidelity amp that I will be bringing. Only going to bring some smaller speakers this time though (lugging the vandies is just too much work! That and I don't feel like restapleing the socks yet :p ). I will have my studio monitors and a pair of Overnight Sensations along with my new prototype effort of a cheep portable acoustic space! (Trying to find a way to make a sort of copy of a smaller and cheeper ASC Tube Trap atack wall). I will try to bring the Stax again as well. The source will just be my laptop with my DAC.

If you guys would like, I will bring my Metcal solder station with me.
For those that are not familiar with a Metcal, it makes soldering much easier as it reads the resistance in the material you are soldering and automatically sets the tip temperature accordingly. Most professional assembly shops have these on their benches.

Al. Wise

dsil,
We were hoping you would personally deliver your coffee. Of course, in that spirit, no good deed goes unpunished and you'd be forced to meet like-minded people, listen to music, and geek out over gear.

Last edited:
Just wondered if a 1000 or so records would be welcome and available for sale. I can bring a basic sound system if members wanted to listen before purchase. Someone LMK

I am in Coventry, CT BTW

Boxes of records are ALWAYS wanted at the New England meet! And you will have a lot of vinyl lovers flipping through your discs. Bring 'em, daddio!

Back
Top Bottom