New Fatbike

Alobar

Addicted Member
If you are wondering what a "fat bike" is, no, it isn't a bicycle for fat people, although I am sure heavier people would love one. It is a bike with a frame that can fit very large tires, over 4" wide actually. They are low flotation so tire pressure is around 15 to 20 psi. Ride them over about anything, tree roots running at an angle, beach sand, snowmobile trails, pretty much anywhere that you would stick and bury a mountain bike these bikes will go. Not the greatest on pavement however, the tires are too grabby for that sort of riding, but for a river beach like this one, this thing is the berries!
My fat bike:
[URL=http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/eaglesnest_1412/media/CameraZOOM-201608201709430211_zpspv5s9uw3.jpg.html][/URL]
Here is a 5 minute video of my first ride with this thing at the river beach a few miles from the house. Excuse the quality, it was taken with my Samsung phone in my shirt pocket! This area (in SE Alaska) is where the Chilkat river dumps into the sea and beings that it was near high tide (+20 feet) the ocean backs up the river for a few miles so the river channel at low tide is way out there in the body of water.
The dog is probably my best friend. Smart, loyal, loves to run as this is his favorite place to go. He is a blue eyed pure bred Australian Shepherd named Aikau after a famous Hawaiian surfer. We are his second owners and he came with that name so we kept it.

That looks like a great time. Unfortunately, my back pain precludes any activity like that for me. I'll enjoy it vicariously through you. ;)

Nice! I've had a Pugsley since 2006 - fat bikes are fun!
I looked at the Pugsley line, those are super nice bikes! I wanted one for me and one for the wife but the price was too much. Then the other day in Juneau I was in Costco and there were a few of these Diamondbacks for $350 so I had to score a couple before they were all gone.

Nice score on that bike.

Yeah, back in 2006, the Pugsley was the only fat bike you could buy (commercially, other super customs were around for decades, but they were hand built), and it was only a bare frame and fork. That bike was very expensive, but I was able to spec out exactly what parts I wanted and had it built up. Still my go-to bike and I have a few others to choose from.

I'm glad you like the Diamondback - once you of fat, you never go back.

I was always under the impression these were Phat Bikes (Phat Cycles) purchased one for my wife's 52 birthday. Never knew they had actually become a genre.

Screen_Shot_2015_12_15_at_2.26.24_PM__02710.1450219215.1280.1280.png

D69D0943-orig.jpg

The one I bought for Nanette looked like the one below.
AlohaMahalo-L26-3SP-1083612-LeafGreen-1500.jpg

Martin

Went blueberry picking yesterday about 30 miles out of town. Brought the fatbikes and rode them on the old logging roads where some good picking exists.
CameraZOOM-20160821155317952.jpg CameraZOOM-20160821160042085.jpg CameraZOOM-20160821160406139.jpg

CameraZOOM-20160823143313304.jpg
How did it preform?
As a fatbike. the geometry if you will is very nice. The tires rolls over stuff that would have put me over the bars on my GT Avalanche mtn bike.
The biggest problem has been the lack of low enough gears. It has only a 7 speed cassette on it and just one sprocket on the front, a 40 tooth. The biggest in the rear is a 28 tooth. I need to either get a smaller front sprocket for the front or a larger set for the back. These bikes need not be fast, as their claim to fame is rolling over stuff and knocking about with roots, rocks, sand etc and thus I find these bikes are almost always in first gear and having to work to go through sand, and uphill you need to stand and pump, short runs are okay, but I am 61 after all!

The biggest problem in changing out sprockets is that the front is a no-name brand with its own way to attach it to the crank. No problem, just get a new crankset. That has been a problem locating because of the extra width of the bike, the crank has to be about twice as wide as normal cranksets. I haven't spent much time researching this as of yet. I did know going in that I would probably need to mod these bikes some. Basically they list for $500 and we got them for $350 each so while not exactly the cheapest fat bike out there, the fact that they are quite light for their price range (the Mongoose fatbikes are 15 lbs more) they do give a good place to start with this genre.

Any ideas on drive system mods that will accommodate the extra clearance that the 4" tires need I am all ears! One thought I had was to weld another smaller sprocket right next to the one that came with it, maybe a 32 tooth. I have a mig welder and I believe the sprocket that is on there is steel.

Ok cool.Now this maybe straying a bit but maybe you or somebody else can steer me straight.After 20 years ive decided to casually ride around the city to lose some weight.Note ive had both knees replaced .So I bought me a el-cheapo huffy 18 speed mt bike.Ive always set up my bikes so I have very little bend in the knee when its at the bottom stroke.Correct or not.Sure is a big fall from my 1500 dollar parkpre(?) mt bike that I had in the 90,s.

Ok cool.Now this maybe straying a bit but maybe you or somebody else can steer me straight.After 20 years ive decided to casually ride around the city to lose some weight.Note ive had both knees replaced .So I bought me a el-cheapo huffy 18 speed mt bike.Ive always set up my bikes so I have very little bend in the knee when its at the bottom stroke.Correct or not.Sure is a big fall from my 1500 dollar parkpre(?) mt bike that I had in the 90,s.
I would definitely say yes, very little knee bend on the bottom stroke is what you want. It will be much easier on your knees and you will be getting the max power that way as well.
Biking is good exercise, and fun too!

OK THANKS.Seeing as how I cant walk very far I figured biking would be the next best thing.As I lose weight walking will become easier.Of course diet is involved also .I'm sure a lot of people are a lot worse off than me but finding out I have type 2 diabetes has spurred me on to reasonable health reforms .

Actually, they do make bikes like that, but a bit less hard core and for the more chillaxing crowd finding the unbeaten path.
CaLFSwyUMAAhMnw.jpg

Though I would rather have something like this.

pugs_year_141.jpg
Bingo! I test rode a Pugsley this summer and got all jazzed but the $1295 (on sale) was just more than I could go considering we would need two, one for my wife. I had let go of the idea and then while in Juneau doing a "Costco run" I saw the Diamondbacks there for $350. Ran back to where I was staying and did a little research and went back and bought them. Maybe later we will upgrade to a Surly product.

looks like a blast! loved seeing your dog pass you randomly then fall back or go a bit off trail and pass you again, scope out whats ahead, etc. I suppose thats what collies do.
He loves to give chase to birds, squirrels, anything that moves and he is on it. Even attacks the vac at times!

OK THANKS.Seeing as how I cant walk very far I figured biking would be the next best thing.As I lose weight walking will become easier.Of course diet is involved also .I'm sure a lot of people are a lot worse off than me but finding out I have type 2 diabetes has spurred me on to reasonable health reforms .
Don't mean to give out advice, but I'll just say I highly recommend a low carb diet such as Atkins or Paleo. I was in your shoes about 4 years ago, overweight with high BP and borderline diabetic. The Dr was ready to start prescribing and I got the hell out of there and started reading. Went on Atkins and lost about 60 lbs in 8 months. Went back to the Dr and the BP was normal, triglycerides, way low. Went shopping for life insurance and their health examiner gave me the highest rating they can give. Anyway, I really feel fortunate to have turned things around. Hope you get this solved..

The Pugsley is a sweet ride, but the Diamondbacks should work well for you, plus, with two, you can ride together. That is worth more.

Back
Top Bottom