New Girl here

Welcome! :thmbsp: Very nice gear; Sargent Rayments aren't exactly an everyday sight! Nice pics, too, and getting over 5000 tubes in one go is a fantasy many here would "die for". That must have been fun! Did you really sell them ALL? That would have been difficult for many here to do, although no doubt you also helped a lot of people get/keep their old gear working well, and made some cash in the process, neither of which is a bad thing.

I hope you find more good tube gear to replace those SRs. Once hooked, no one should have to live without some nice tube gear around!

It's also nice to welcome another female to the site. Seems that this place (and the audio hobby in general) is overbalanced with males!

Welcome to AK! It looks like you're going to fit in real well here! Beautiful gear! Enjoy the forums! :music:

Very nice picks! Welcome to AK!
Regards,
Jim

found a yard sale in Huntington Beach and ended up buying his entire yard sale. It took 3 full truck loads to get it back home. Over 5000 tubes in milk crates. No boxes. Some had been wiped clean of their identification. Needless to say, the tube I needed was included.

First, that's MY kind of yard sale! :D

Secondly... that's definitely one way to find the tube you need! :D :D

A while back, I had a similar situation with a guy I work with... we were given like 33 boxes (old oil-can boxes, hat-boxes, you name it) of tubes from a radio repair shop... the owner had retired, and moved back to Israel for his retirement. I got the task of listing and cataloging all the tubes... in exchange for getting to cherry-pick a decent number for my own purposes! Not quite as many as you had, but probably between 1000-2000 tubes. I wound up with some nice stuff... EL84s, 7581s, a bunch of neat looking TV sweep tubes, and a bunch of good small tubes too!

We've made pretty good use of them... many of them have been used in guitar amps (we service those here), and I've built quite a number of DIY projects and restored quite a few vintage audio pieces with the ones I wound up with, over the last few years...

I'm always looking for stuff like this... every ham-fest, antique radio meet and other "vintage electronic geek" event I can find. Never know where the next building project might come from... :thmbsp:

In short, I think you'll fit right in fine here. Welcome!

(oops... gotta take a short break here. This post made me remember that I need to search the archives here for a tube for BrassTeacher... BRB :D )

Regards,
Gordon.

I may have bought some of your tubes :)
You don't have the Sargent Rayment anymore? it looks way cool...

Welcome to AK! Here's a little tip; the writing on old tubes wears off sometimes, as you saw. Sometimes you can make it re-appear to identify the tube by fogging the glass with your breath. Turn the tube and examine it carefully and sometimes a faint outline of the printing can be still read. Then you can mark the tube with a sharpie.

Sargentrayment.jpg

Very nice... and welcome to AK.

Welcome to AK. I hope you find the knowledge you seek.

Wow! I've never heard of Sargent Rayment before reading this thread. I feel like a true "tube newbie".
Alot of people have never heard of it either. From what I gather, I believe that SR was created in a small radio shop up in Northern Calif in the late 50's or so. A few guys started it out and later one of them, Arnold Wolf, became CEO of JBL or Jensen. I think. Anyway, dude is supposedly still alive and kicking in Monterey AND.... (I was told)... listens to the Sargent Rayment 8000 tuner and 5100 preamp. :music:
Kinda says something there. Out of all the choices that he has, he picked those two.

welcome. what camera did you use to get such sharp pics?
San Jose and Santa Cruz are my favorite places in Calif. Love them redwood trees!
My sister lived up on Highway 9 near Bear Creek Rd. in Boulder Creek.
As for my camera, it's an old Canon Power Shot G1. Nothing special. Just used a tripod.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! I like it already. :D

Back
Top Bottom