New Guy (me)

Oside

Hi all:

Glad to find an active audio forum with what looks like a good crowd - not a vibe I've had from some of the others. I'm probably not the first to say this, but I'm finally back into quality audio after being distracted for way too many years by all the tek changes, starting with surround sound/home theater, fueled by mp3 and torrents, on in to streaming and bluetooth off of pc or portable. For them past 15 years, my best stereo has been in my car and was always a welcome excuse to road trip - but it wasn't enough.

In the past 2 years an old friend who got into audio the same time I did when we were in college in the early '90s moved close and, thankfully, he was still into quality sound. When I went to his place and heard his system(s), I got the bug again - couldn't believe I let good sound go as much as I did. So I'm back into 2-channel - actually in the market now for a sub to upgrade to 2.1. But that's it for speakers - Sooo, I'm also looking at amps, since the ELAC I (re-)started with needs a friend . . . And so it goes . . .

Welcome to AK!

With a subscription you would have access to Barter Town, a sub-forum where subscribers buy, sell, and trade all kinds of goodies.:)

Hi all:

Glad to find an active audio forum with what looks like a good crowd - not a vibe I've had from some of the others. I'm probably not the first to say this, but I'm finally back into quality audio after being distracted for way too many years by all the tek changes, starting with surround sound/home theater, fueled by mp3 and torrents, on in to streaming and bluetooth off of pc or portable. For them past 15 years, my best stereo has been in my car and was always a welcome excuse to road trip - but it wasn't enough.

In the past 2 years an old friend who got into audio the same time I did when we were in college in the early '90s moved close and, thankfully, he was still into quality sound. When I went to his place and heard his system(s), I got the bug again - couldn't believe I let good sound go as much as I did. So I'm back into 2-channel - actually in the market now for a sub to upgrade to 2.1. But that's it for speakers - Sooo, I'm also looking at amps, since the ELAC I (re-)started with needs a friend . . . And so it goes . . .

Welcome Oside, I am also relatively new to the forum, and have a similar story to tell about being seduced by the 5.1 home theater sound. My audiophile days started way back in the 60's with an AR amplifier (solid state 50W/ch), AR turntable, and KLH Model 5's - great sound even by today's standards. I found a pair of Wharfedale W70E models at an antique store and just had to have them. I remember my brother going on and on about how these were the "best". I've spent weeks restoring them and now have them put together enough to listen to them, and I am not disappointed. The first thing I noticed was all the music being played in the low frequencies range. Stuff that small speakers and a "thumper" just can't reproduce. BTW I understand the want for a sub, but keep in mind that they are inherently non linear and tend to tune on one note. You just can't beat a BIG 15 or 12 inch speaker with a real low resonance point. Cheers!

Last edited:
Welcome to AK!

With a subscription you would have access to Barter Town, a sub-forum where subscribers buy, sell, and trade all kinds of goodies.:)

Yes, I am probably going to do that. Though, I just bought a sub (the Monolith 12" THX dropped to $634 today!!). I can still look for amps!

Welcome Oside, I am also relatively new to the forum, and have a similar story to tell about being seduced by the 5.1 home theater sound. My audiophile days started way back in the 60's with an AR amplifier (solid state 50W/ch), AR turntable, and KLH Model 5's - great sound even by today's standards. I found a pair of Wharfedale W70E models at an antique store and just had to have them. I remember my brother going on and on about how these were the "best". I've spent weeks restoring them and now have them put together enough to listen to them, and I am not disappointed. The first thing I noticed was all the music being played in the low frequencies range. Stuff that small speakers and a "thumper" just can't reproduce. BTW I understand the want for a sub, but keep in mind that they are inherently non linear and tend to tune on one note. You just can't beat a BIG 15 or 12 inch speaker with a real low resonance point. Cheers!

Cool! I'm glad there are others in my boat.

As for the sub, I just bought one today. BUT, I believe in your advice wholeheartedly - my speakers are Klipsch Chorus II (circa 1993, found on craigslist, but I added Crites Crossovers and new tweeters). They have 15" woofers with 15" passive radiators in the back and a fairly good range. I just wanted to get all the way down to 20Hz and (obviously) I like bass! The sub I bought is definitely not a "one-note wonder" - I want to be able to clearly distinguish bass notes at relatively low volumes. Though THX certification is debated, it at least guarantees certain levels of fidelity. The 'X' stands for crossover, so there is attention to frequency reproduction and there haven't been any crappy subs I know of that have been granted certification - I think the debate is mostly over decent subs that don't have it because they didn't want to pay for licensing.

Yes, I am probably going to do that. Though, I just bought a sub (the Monolith 12" THX dropped to $634 today!!). I can still look for amps!

Cool! I'm glad there are others in my boat.

As for the sub, I just bought one today. BUT, I believe in your advice wholeheartedly - my speakers are Klipsch Chorus II (circa 1993, found on craigslist, but I added Crites Crossovers and new tweeters). They have 15" woofers with 15" passive radiators in the back and a fairly good range. I just wanted to get all the way down to 20Hz and (obviously) I like bass! The sub I bought is definitely not a "one-note wonder" - I want to be able to clearly distinguish bass notes at relatively low volumes. Though THX certification is debated, it at least guarantees certain levels of fidelity. The 'X' stands for crossover, so there is attention to frequency reproduction and there haven't been any crappy subs I know of that have been granted certification - I think the debate is mostly over decent subs that don't have it because they didn't want to pay for licensing.

My Sub is THX; it was meant for 5.1, is ported, and does tune on a certain note. Not horrible, but noticeable when used in conjunction with and compared to my 15 inch woofers. I do admire your want for bass, and am in the me too column. I admit to sometimes adding the sub when listening to certain types of music.

my speakers are Klipsch Chorus II (circa 1993, found on craigslist, but I added Crites Crossovers and new tweeters). They have 15" woofers with 15" passive radiators in the back and a fairly good range.
BTW I checked out the Chorus II's on the Klipsch web site. Pretty cool design 39 to 20K +/- 3db. They use a rear firing passive which extends the woofer's low end, and my guess is that having it in the back of the box probably enhances the bass further by reflecting bass off the wall which reverses the wave to be in phase with the front woofer. Pretty clever. Just curious, what did you put in for new tweeters?

BTW I checked out the Chorus II's on the Klipsch web site. Pretty cool design 39 to 20K +/- 3db. They use a rear firing passive which extends the woofer's low end, and my guess is that having it in the back of the box probably enhances the bass further by reflecting bass off the wall which reverses the wave to be in phase with the front woofer. Pretty clever. Just curious, what did you put in for new tweeters?

I love my Chorus, can't see parting with them unless I go full K-horn or LaScala. I think Klipsch erred by bringing back the Forte in their Heritage line instead of the Chorus. The Heresy already covers the Forte's use profile.

I put in the Bob Crites titanium upgrades in, which is also where I got my new crossovers. If you need anything for an older Klipsch, Crites has it: https://critesspeakers.com/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom