New LG Nano Cell 4k TV not bad at all.

Audiofreak71

Boerboelicious
Subscriber
So I have a very long history with going through these 4k tvs and having bad luck with them, I first jumped on tge bandwagon to soon and the early ones didn't support hdcp 2.2 so had to buy into that, then I discovered a nasty little thing that inherits these tvs alot and that's a thing called DSE (Dirty screen Effect) look it up if you haven't heard of it, it's actually a thing. I have gone through 8 tvs because of this and it had me seriously considering just going back to my tried and true Pioneer elite 1080p plasma. So my last resort was with the manager at Best buy where I bought my other tvs and he told me that they would do a direct exchange for either the new 2018 LG nano cell Suhd 4k TV 65in or an LG OLED55b7, only reason I didn't jump on the oled was because it was a 55in even though I knew I would hands down by satisfied with the picture and not have to worry about the dreaded DSE.

So I decided to give the 65in LG nano cell a try. After I had my tech come over and ISF calibrate it, I started the process of critical movie watching. First thing I noticed was how bright this TV can get which is a good thing, second was the extremely wide color gamut, nice deep and vibrant colors without being fake or overdone. Next thing I noticed and the most important is I have so far notice no DSE during black or white scenes. Blacks are very black but not quite inky like a good plasma or oled but very believable. However, there is light bleed, it's minimal but it's there if you really look for it. I'll have to give it a couple more days to see if any DSE occurs or if it stays the same which I'm hoping it does. Can I live with the slight light bleed? At this point I don't know, but im about to really say screw it and just get that 55in oled and call it a day. Could get the 65in but at a price difference of $1200 out of my pocket and im not wanting to fork out that much coin on top of what I've already spent.

So that's pretty much it, these new nano cells are one step below the Totl oleds (well the model I have is) and it's very impressive. Most would be more than satisfied with it as it really is a stunning picture but at this point I'm not to sure I'm willing to live with that little bit of light bleed that is in all led tvs even the nano cells. We'll see though in the next couple days if I decide to keep it or upgrade the model yet downgrade the size. It's really a shame that we have to go through this with tvs these days, I never even thought about DSE or motion issues when I owned plasmas.
0238B6B5-2730-4B46-A7CC-55F37A984E1F.jpeg

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
I have been waiting for oleds to come down in price. 55" is as big as I can go in my space and that size oled LGs have stuck at $1500+ for a year and a half. They have to come down sometime. :dunno:

I have been waiting for oleds to come down in price. 55" is as big as I can go in my space and that size oled LGs have stuck at $1500+ for a year and a half. They have to come down sometime. :dunno:
They have come down drastically in price compared to when they first came out but they still are up there in price. I think around summertime this year they'll take a big drop in price.

Audiofreak71

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My wife is ready now and I am not.
My opinion is going oled is excellent and you won't be disappointed and LG's new nano cell tvs are very close and I highly recommend them as well but there not perfect.

Audiofreak71

We have a Sharp 55" 4K set in the master bedroom. I have a 60" Sharp in the spare bedroom, that I use for movies and music. While I can't do a side by side comparison, but to me, the 55 seems small when I've been watching the 60. So, I hope you can go from a 65 to a 55, because that difference will be very noticeable. But, I think I'd have to pay the difference, and spring for the 65 OLED.

Last edited:
It was a battle between a Sony and Samsung OLED. Got a good package deal on the Sony with a used AV stand. The Sony xbr65x900e was selected and so far it looks excellent.

We expect to have it calibrated soon.

We have a Sharp 55" 4K set in the master bedroom. I have a 60" Sharp in the spare bedroom, that I use for movies and music. While I can't do a side by side comparison, but the me, the 55 seems small when I've been watching the 60. So, I hope you can go from a 65 to a 55, because that difference will be very noticeable. But, I think I'd have to pay the difference, and spring for the 65 OLED.
Yeah your right about that, I don't think I could go down to a 55in. So far I'm liking this Nano Cell do dad TV, but I'll give it a couple days to make a final decision. If I do decide to turn it back in I'll most likely spring for the larger 65in oled.

Audiofreak71

It was a battle between a Sony and Samsung OLED. Got a good package deal on the Sony with a used AV stand. The Sony xbr65x900e was selected and so far it looks excellent.

We expect to have it calibrated soon.

I highly recommend getting it calibrated if you watch alot of movies as it makes a big difference with color accuracy and deeper blacks.

Audiofreak71

I highly recommend getting it calibrated if you watch alot of movies as it makes a big difference with color accuracy and deeper blacks.

While my Sharp Quattron Aquos 60" set isn't 4K or OLED, it does have a decent picture. Maybe not as good as my late lamented Samsung plasma, but it's very watchable. Even more so, after I found an on-line site that listed calibrated settings for the set. After matching those settings, it's been awesome.

Do oleds have to be calibrated and if so what kind of cost are we looking at?
They don't have to be calibrated but it is recommended they do get calibrated. Usually it's around $300 and there are various places that can do it, best buys geek squad is one of them.

Audiofreak71

Well if you watch movies often it's well worth it, but if its not often you watch movies then I wouldn't recommend getting a professional calibration. I was skeptical the first time I got my pioneer elite plasma calibrated and man what a nice difference it was once it was.

Audiofreak71

I'm lucky, after talking to the sales guy and since I bought a TON of crap, I got the fancy Best Buy package that allows me to get IDF calibration for $50. Like I said "Nice!"

Calibration alone met the price for getting the (usually) worthless service for me...

Not related, but that photo looks similar to one I took at the same park (Canyonlands) this past summer. :D

I am so on the fence about these TVs. My geeky side says to save up and go OLED, yet I don't watch movies, I'll maybe watch the occasional concert (usually while doing something else) or old TV episodes, and maybe the occasional hockey game, but primarily it would be used for video games on the weekends. Some stores near me are currently blowing out some of the lower-end 4K LGs and at the price, it's hard not to jump on them. The 65" is a frighteningly low price, in fact...made my wallet twitch...

Back
Top Bottom