New LG Nano Cell 4k TV not bad at all.

For the life of me I can't understand why so many folks mount their TV's above their fireplace mantels. Mounting them at that height causes one (at least me) to get a crick in their neck when watching. Plus, it's simply not very comfortable.

When viewing TV/movies you want to look straight ahead not up.

I certainly wouldn't mount my TV above the fireplace if I had another choice but like Audiofreak71 my couch reclines and I also tilt the TV down. It is the best I can do video-wise but the advantage of the TV's placement in the middle of the wall is I was able to set up my 5.1 speakers in great locations. Its all a balance I suppose. My wife and I have been looking at houses on Zillow considering a possible move and it is pretty amazing that so many homes either by default or design have the TV over the fireplace. Most folks watch TV in their living/family room and designers don't seem to recognize that fact.

^^This, it is unfortunate but like AV Fan said you work with what you got and like him I was able to set up my 5.2 setup very nicely and excellent placement of my 2ch rig. Designers of these newer homes unfortunately look at form over function when it comes to entertainment.

Audiofreak71

I am so glad that I'm not crazy and you brought that up. I have experienced that weird glitching and I thought it was just me as it doesn't do it all the time it's very sporadic. So I called oppo and they asked if it could possibly be my hdmi cable, Well I have a brand new high end 18gbps cable but just to troubleshoot I swapped in another new hdmi cable and it did the same thing. So then I called LG and they had me do a reset on the TV and that seemed to work until me and my son Sat down to watch the new planet of the apes movie in 4k and it started to do it again. So I was messing with settings etc trying to figure what the hell was going on. I had it on the new technicolor setting so I switched it to home cinema and that seemed to resolve it but I still don't have a warm and fuzzy about it.

So is this an Oppo issue or LG issue?. I'll set the oppo to 24hz and hopefully that fixes it. How did you come to the conclusion that setting the oppo to 24hz would resolve that issue. With high end products like this I feel that we shouldn't have to walk on eggshells like this. Anyway I appreciate the heads up and im glad this isn't an isolated issue.

Audiofreak71

Whew! I was questioning why I upgraded all this stuff when I couldn't get the 4K to play so I'm glad to hear it isn't an isolated issue. How did I figure it out? All my wires are in the wall due to the TV being over the fireplace and the two HDMI cables are not 18Gbps. They didn't exist when I installed them. I read that backing down the frame rate with 4K material might allow older HDMI cables to work. So I started with the OPPO at Auto then 60Hz and neither worked. I thought for a bit that 50Hz worked but there was a subtle pause at regular intervals. UHD at 24Hz finally fixed it. Funny thing is I hooked up a 18Gbps HDMI cable over my mantle to the LG and did the same procedure and it didn't work any better. I'm glad I tested all this stuff and I didn't open up my walls to replace the cables to find out they didn't work! So I think there is some kind of handshake or communication issue between the OPPO and LG but I have no idea which is the culprit.

I have a way that might give me a clue. I have an 4K Apple TV too but I haven't used it to send 4K to the TV. I'll report back my results.

FYI if you haven't already I recommend turning off all the noise reduction and TruMotion settings as those give a false contrast and make film look like high contrast video. Turning that stuff off made a huge improvement.

Whew! I was questioning why I upgraded all this stuff when I couldn't get the 4K to play so I'm glad to hear it isn't an isolated issue. How did I figure it out? All my wires are in the wall due to the TV being over the fireplace and the two HDMI cables are not 18Gbps. They didn't exist when I installed them. I read that backing down the frame rate with 4K material might allow older HDMI cables to work. So I started with the OPPO at Auto then 60Hz and neither worked. I thought for a bit that 50Hz worked but there was a subtle pause at regular intervals. UHD at 24Hz finally fixed it. Funny thing is I hooked up a 18Gbps HDMI cable over my mantle to the LG and did the same procedure and it didn't work any better. I'm glad I tested all this stuff and I didn't open up my walls to replace the cables to find out they didn't work! So I think there is some kind of handshake or communication issue between the OPPO and LG but I have no idea which is the culprit.

I have a way that might give me a clue. I have an 4K Apple TV too but I haven't used it to send 4K to the TV. I'll report back my results.

FYI if you haven't already I recommend turning off all the noise reduction and TruMotion settings as those give a false contrast and make film look like high contrast video. Turning that stuff off made a huge improvement.
Excellent to hear all this and I wonder how many others are experiencing the same thing, also why doesn't oppp or LG know about it?, when I talked to both parties they acted as if they knew nothing about what I was talking about and walked me through troubleshooting procedures which I had already done. Only the resetting of the TV which lg recommended is the only thing I didn't try. I have it set to 24hz and am testing a movie now, so far so good. I don't use the true motion settings as I hate the soap opera effects, however I read that by turning it on as User then put the sliders to 0 will solve some glitching problems that could occur so I set mine that way, it's on but it's off.

I'm going to call oppo again tomorrow and tell them about what we have discovered and see what they say, because I believe you are correct, it seems to be a handshake issue. I'll keep you posted as to what they say. Thanks for the tip btw, saved me from going crazier lol.

Audiofreak71

I'm unfortunately afflicted by the videophile malady as acutely as I am with the audiophile virus and those fireplace mount situations make my head explode.

I'm sticking with my current monitor until all the dust settles on the large new technologies. We seem to be in a similar time as the mid-90's when first the 16:9 Phillips tubes started showing up and then the 16:10 (I think it was Pioneer who did that) rear projectors and all sorts of different offerings and RGB... no wait... S-video... no wait!.... DVI. I did hours of research and finally settled on Toshiba which was the "Samsung" of the 90's. Toshiba took the rear projection crown (IMO) when we all started getting them leaving the previous tube king (Sony) in the 4:3 dustbin.

That Toshiba was one of my favorite TV sets and kept its place as the main monitor for a decade. It was only when HDMI finally took hold that I was forced to change out to a Samsung LCD.

I suspect I'll not replace the Samsung until I am able to afford something big enough to replace both the TV and the Panasonic projector. I hear the 70 inchers are coming down in price. But will it be 8K or 4K?

Probably a good thing Costco doesn't take Mastercard. The LG 55" 4k OLED I saw earler today was looking really sweet as an upgrade for our older 43" LG TV in the livingroom.

Probably a good thing Costco doesn't take Mastercard. The LG 55" 4k OLED I saw earler today was looking really sweet as an upgrade for our older 43" LG TV in the livingroom.

lol I've been saved by that a few times myself.

My old Samsung is still working flawlessly after the bad power supply capacitors were replaced under warranty. Where I've really been tempted is with the front projector which is starting to show its age but whose bulb refuses to die giving me an excuse to get a replacement. I guess there is something to having a dedicated A/C duct blowing on it when it's in operation. But so far I survived all the 3-D "it's not a fad" projectors and now I'm probably going to wait until I can simply get the big one mentioned earlier. I will say one thing; the Superbowl looked great in 100 inch splendor this year again!

So I have discovered something else about the flickering. If you choose Technicolor even if your in 24hz there will still be occasional flickering depending on what uhd movie your watching. But when on Cinema Home or Cinema and 24hz so far I have not experienced any flickering. I had my calibration set on Technicolor but Cinema Home is about the same once I set my calibration off what I had in the Technicolor. This is very frustrating and something that either LG or Oppo needs to fix as I'm sure by now they know of the problem. I did get the latest firmware upgrade today from oppo and was hoping it would address these issues but it was a no go. Anyway thought I would give you and anyone else that may have this setup some insight.

Audiofreak71

Back
Top Bottom