New Mac Trade-Up Program

Has anyone actually visited their local dealer and started the process?

To me the process would start with us sending out a advertising mailer highlighting a new product. Phone calls and store visits would usually start with a lot of "tire kicking" and dreaming......

One of these dreamers would offer a unit to be traded or ask for a estimate of it's value.

Then the process would be in the salesperson's court to try to find a buyer for the used piece.

The salesperson would have had to do due diligence to keep track of potential buyers and have a good enough relationship with those clients to let them know of this used units availability.

If the used unit can be turned quickly, and profitably, the trade in value will be higher.

This does not happen because of a international ad campaign.....it happens local. If you do not support your local dealer how can you expect them to help you achieve your dream.....

Many dealers trade in equipment every day without the need for any "trade up' program. I have no idea what difference the trade up program really makes. If your equipment is worth $x to the dealer, that's what you get - whether you walk out the door with cash in your pocket or towards other products. Money is money. What does McIntosh have to do with that? Is the factory going into the used equipment business? I don't think so.

Generate Dealer customer foot traffic, maybe ?!?! :dunno:

Correct me if I'm wrong -
let's say I want to replace the C42 with the C47.
McIntosh C42 MSRP $3,850. Best case scenario 75%=~$2,900 credit.
So I have to spend $3,850 plus give them my C47 which they will value at max $2,900 ( I don't think so, but just for the heck of it let's say they will), and get the preamp with the MSRP of at least $6,750. So basically I'd have to pay $3,850 + tax, and give them my C42, but even that won't worjk, becase the MSRP for the C47 is lower than $6,750. So I'd have to go for the C52, which is MSRP'ed about $7,000.

Or -

Crutchfield is selling C47 for $4,000. They must be an authorized dealer?
So if I sell my C42 for whatever the market price is, [I'm guessing maybe $2,000] I still end up with about $2,000 more remaining in my pocket than I would with that TRADE-UP deal.

When was that last time that your guys trade in your car or even your phone.
Trade in is like giving away.

Normally, you need to leave your equipment at the retailer then a local/regional distributor/sale will come out and determine the value of the trade in.

When was that last time that your guys trade in your car or even your phone.
Trade in is like giving away.

Normally, you need to leave your equipment at the retailer then a local/regional distributor/sale will come out and determine the value of the trade in.

If it wasn't for a trade in deal at my retailer's I wouldn't have been able to come home with my pair of MC1201's earlier this year. It's nice to have that option when your gear won't sell quick enough and you don't want that deal to slip away. As far as trading in my cars yes my last 3 or 4 cars got traded in towards brand new vehicles. To me it isn't worth the hassle of dealing with the tire kickers. Used phones are worth more to me as spares should the newer ones get damaged.

If it wasn't for a trade in deal at my retailer's I wouldn't have been able to come home with my pair of MC1201's earlier this year. It's nice to have that option when your gear won't sell quick enough and you don't want that deal to slip away. As far as trading in my cars yes my last 3 or 4 cars got traded in towards brand new vehicles. To me it isn't worth the hassle of dealing with the tire kickers. Used phones are worth more to me as spares should the newer ones get damaged.

Gee a real dealer responsible to their customers needs.......there must be something wrong for you to be the only member here with a good relationship with your local dealer.

My C220 and 275 both came from my local dealer. I'd have their 452 in my music room now, but a pair of 501's showed up close to me on Agon. What's a Mac lover to do, right ?

I also trade cars when it makes sense. Not everyone has the time and inclination (and intestinal fortitude) for private sales. Time is money and trading in a car (or Mac) at a dealer can easily save the former, resulting in more of the latter. Support your dealer, or they won't be there forever.

jblnut

I guess I didn't get enough sleep last night.

When I read the title of this thread, I thought to myself "great, I need a new computer!" :confused:

Exactly; I've heard it said that some people prefer a used Mac over a brand new item from another manufacturer. I fall into that category myself.
Let's face it. As soon as you load that new piece of audio equipment into your car, it has depreciated.

Back in the 60's and early 70's when the appreciation in Mac prices was yet to arrive. If I could have gotten 75% for my preowned Mac Equipment I would have come out way ahead. I use to come out ahead selling my pre-owned stuff at. Mac amplifier clinics. I came out way ahead on my problem prone C-28, 2100's, 275's 240's and MC 60's. I didn't fare so well on MR-67,71,74,77. I still have my 78 and 80. My Boss bought my MA 230 for one of his kids and kept for a Lon long time. The C-29, MCD 7005, along other misc pieces Frank Gow took in trade on newer pieces at Audio Classics. Steve took my MX-119 which needed some work and my MAC-3 in on my MX 151. He also found me a RFD2 for my Laser player when I traded the MAC=3. I still can't believe what a fantastic piece the MX 151 is. I'm using 16 inputs.

I have several McIntosh Preamps and in the end it was between my 33 and my 34V. I traded in the 34V which is without a doubt as nice as they come condition wise. I had it listed for weeks on CL locally and couldn't even get a bite at $1600. So I decided to go with the Trade in program. I contacted 3 dealers for McIntosh. 1st one said they didn't want to participate. 2nd one took my information and said they would get back to me. After 3 calls they wouldn't call back me back to get the process moving forward. The 3rd one who is the closest and the largest retailer of the 3 said that they were familiar with the program and for them it was a pain in the a$$. He gave me the Trade in amount of $1879 and deducted $75 because I did not have the original packing. As he explained it, McIntosh absorbs 1/2 the loss of profit and he absorbs the other 1/2. Still better than no sale. So I just got back from the dealer and he did fill out the paperwork. He took 50% down on the C-52 and told me that it would take about 2 weeks to get it there and by then McIntosh will have processed the paperwork to deduct the trade in amount from my balance. I made it clear that if McIntosh did not honor what we agreed on, sale on my part was null and void. He agreed. To answer some one else's previous post I agree, on some models this would not be the way to go. In my case, selling out right would have resulted in the endless phone conversation's of "Will you trade", "I'll give you this", "will you ship", ect…….well this may just work out for me. If it does then I'll go in with my 2155 and trade up also.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom