New Marantz owner needs help!

Jeff S

Hi All -

Apologies as I'm very clueless here... For a couple of years, I've waxed nostalgic every time I've seen a record player and talked about my much loved the vintage Marantz set up that I inherited from my dad in the early 90's (memory has never been clear but I think it was a 2200b). Throughout my teenage years, I fiddled with it and set up with different components. Unfortunately, the set up was lost at some point after I went to college. Anyways, my wife went through a lot of effort and worked with my dad to surprise me with a late sixties Marantz twenty-six and Bose 6.2 audio everywhere speakers from 1985 (same ones from my original set up).

My wife paid a fair amount for the receiver ($~300) and I'm experiencing some issues getting it set up properly and I'm hoping for some help as it is a bit of a bummer to not have it up and running after such a thoughtful gift.

1. When I press the stereo button when using phono, all the sound goes out in the right speaker and sound is only coming out of the left speaker.
2. I attached a Bluetooth receiver to the aux and it works great itself however if I have the Bluetooth unit plugged in and I switch over to phono there is "bleeding" from the aux setting (i.e. if I was listening to Spotify and the song is still running on my phone, I can faintly hear it through the speaker before I play the record). Worse still, if there is nothing playing on what had been the aux setting and I switch back to phono then there is a low squealing noise.
3. A lot of popping and crackling when I move the volume switch but I assume it just needs to be cleaned.

Any help would be much appreciated. I live in Los Angeles so if repair is necessary and anyone knows of a good person please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to AK. Your wife is a keeper, a beautiful gift. The LA guys will chime in soon, you new a good cleaning of the switches.

Cool! And welcome, you'll get great advice here.

It's amazing how much it helps to properly clean all the pots, switches and controls. Very common issue. That's definitely the first step and easy to do yourself if you want to.

In regards to the missing phono channel in stereo, Try flipping your phono inputs and see if the issue is the same or the phono player itself has a problem.
Let us know the results of the deoxit cleaning, as we here have all found, that stuff can do wonders. Congratulations on your new gear!

Tom at Northridge Electronics is one of the go to folks/shops in the area.

Bleed through is common.

Back
Top Bottom