New member, first setup

starstuff

Hello! I've lurked here a lot while I was doing research before buying my first turntable setup and I'm so excited to have it up and running. Here's what I decided on:

Hitachi ht-356 with Micro-Acoustics 282-E cartridge
Sherwood s-7200
Unknown speakers

I'm very happy with the sound quality, not that I have much to compare it to. I think I got a great deal, only paid $80 in total.

Anyway this forum contributed so much to the process so I'm very thankful for all the great advice. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180616_132139.jpg
    20180616_132139.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20180616_132150.jpg
    20180616_132150.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20180616_132401.jpg
    20180616_132401.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20180616_132310.jpg
    20180616_132310.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 35
  • 20180616_132235.jpg
    20180616_132235.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20180616_131806.jpg
    20180616_131806.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I recognize those speaker grills but just can't put a name to them...
All I know is the covers are only coming off if I tear them. I convinced them to give me the pair of speakers when I bought the stereo at a thrift shop, and I think the main reason they did it is because they were unbranded. They sound really good though. I did manage to get a peek and the large speaker has one of those small inverted cones on it.

Welcome! The small inverted cones on the woofers to which you referred are known as "whizzer" cones. They serve to extend the woofer's frequency response...a "mechanical tweeter" if you will. As posted previously getting them a little ways off the floor's going to be helpful. Corner placement tends to reinforce bass as well. You're off to a good start!

Welcome! The small inverted cones on the woofers to which you referred are known as "whizzer" cones. They serve to extend the woofer's frequency response...a "mechanical tweeter" if you will. As posted previously getting them a little ways off the floor's going to be helpful. Corner placement tends to reinforce bass as well. You're off to a good start!
Interesting, thanks! I'll definitely have to play around with speaker placement and see what works.

Prepare to absorb info...
Lots and lots of info!
Welcome and remember that as this is indeed the internet.. so it must all be true..your off to a great start. Cheers!
Nemobit;)
"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left ":);):boring:

Be gentle with the power switch on that Sherwood. They're delicate and hard to replace. Other than that, it's a nice unit. Also, the guys telling you to separate your speakers aren't just blowing smoke -- that's how they were designed to operate.

Welcome to AK!

Be gentle with the power switch on that Sherwood. They're delicate and hard to replace. Other than that, it's a nice unit. Also, the guys telling you to separate your speakers aren't just blowing smoke -- that's how they were designed to operate.

Welcome to AK!
Yeah I read about the power switch issue, I think about that every time I turn it on. Will this be the time it breaks? Lol.

I know the speakers should be higher up and separated, but I really don't have anywhere to put them right now. I can, at least, put them on the sides of that stand instead of underneath. They cant be there during the winter anyway because heat comes out from behind them. I'm thinking about mounting our TV up on the wall so I can put the whole setup on the TV stand. I might even move around our whole living room to see what I can come up with.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom