New Member Here Intro

goatlocker

Hello folks, just a quick yell out to introduce myself as a new member here. While I have had some limited forays into the realm of kick ass stereo systems many years ago, family responsibilities put the pursuit of ever better sound systems in the back of the bus. I have since failed to keep up with the technology changes since advent of the CD, though there was a short stint dabbling in the surround sound audio/video world. You could say that I've always had champagne tastes while on a beer budget. So now, I'm approaching a point in my life where I feel I might have the time and resources to begin again. My heart is towards vintage gear, and I have always appreciated the earlier Yamaha line up. As an engineer at heart, I love the way their vintage stuff is put together, and sounds. So, the first thing for me to do is play catch-up. Not only do I need to start building my sound system up, I need to re-educate myself in the "what's what" of vintage audio. This forum seems like a good place to get started with my re-education. I wonder if any of you here would be kind enough to shoot me a few links to some suggested reading. Things like "Basic clean and inspect techniques on decades old gear" for starters. If I'm to build up a system to my heart's desire, it will have to involve going out on a limb and buying old second hand equipment. Anything I can learn to help me evaluate an item of interest before buying, and proofing it at startup when I get it home would help. I suppose this is a good place to ask for recommendations on who would be a reliable resource for sending vintage gear to for a good going over and restoration as needed. While I'm proficient with a soldering iron, and can read schematics, I'm a long ways off from knowing what the preferred upgrade components are, and where to source them. I can borrow some calibrated test equipment from work, like an o'scope and DMM, but do not have the test equipment for audio signal injection or variable power supplies. So I'm not prepared to do it all myself yet by far. I gave away or permanently loaned out some of my equipment, what's left for me to start rebuilding from is this:
1. Yamaha A-1020 integrated amp (bought new)
2. Yamaha TX-900 (bought new)
3. Yamaha CD-700 (bought new, needs service)
4. Technics SL-QL1 Direct Drive turntable (bought new, recently serviced and tuned up)
5. TEAC R-919X Dual cassette deck, don't laugh (needs belts replaced)
6. Technics AV Receiver SA-EX310, again don't laugh, use it with the TV
7. JBL 3800's, studio monitor speakers
9. Bose 901, series V speakers and equalizer (mint, but haven't used yet)
10. Late 1980's vintage, complete Sansui integrated amp component system which was given to me in mint condition. (Going to my daughter eventually when she has room for it.)

Newly acquired and untried:
1. Yamaha CX-1000U preamp (not delivered yet)
2. Pair of tube amplifiers donated to the cause by my brother recently. Name of these escapes me at the moment. Came from Italy I think. They are only around 40 watts each I think, switchable from class A to A/B operation and meant to be paired one each to a speaker, left or right channel. Haven't tried them out yet, cause I've never owned a preamp, or had pre-amp outs on anything. My brother, who is all about tube equipment, changes tubes to adjust the sound on his system instead of using tone controls, tells me these are very clear, fine sounding amps that deserve to be connected into good company. Thus I'm trying out the CX-1000U for starters, and see how that works out.

So, I guess with this hodge-podge on my hands, I'm open to suggestions with regard to where I go from here. I definitely want to include those tube amps in the beginning though. I have two potential listening rooms. The living room in our home, which has wood floors and a high vaulted ceiling seems a perfect location to place the 901's, but for now, too many distractions there for a serious listening environment. I'm working on another spot right now that has a lot of potential. Finishing out a room off the end of a barn. 10'x24', also a vaulted ceiling. Has tongue and groove wood paneled ceiling and all four walls, with concrete floor. I think speaker placement will be a challenge, but it will be a great environment to relax in and really hear the sounds. Thinking of putting the good stuff out there to begin with.

Last edited:
Thx for the welcome rottalpa. I'm already considering another amp to go on the second pre-out. Thinking hard about the MX-1000U. So are there any recommendations for someone to do repairs/restores, etc on the Yamaha gear? I saw some older posts here that made references to several, but don't know it they are still in the game.

Also, any pointers to share on how I should start up the preamp? Read somewhere that I ought to build a "Dim light" tester to do initial power up through.

Those speakers are interesting. Wish I could give some a listening to. I've found speakers to be much like shoes. Better try them on first!

it all depends on where you are located. Based on that, you would find out what tech would be available.
I would not worry too much about bringing the preamp up with a DBT.
MX-1000 is a real fine amplifier. That would need to be restored if it is in the original condition.

Those speakers are interesting. Wish I could give some a listening to. I've found speakers to be much like shoes. Better try them on first!

those speakers are more like fantastic rather than interesting and are much more like drugs then like shoes....once you listen to them, it will be really hard going back to something else. They will do fine on the tube monoblocks you have and they sound really good with a MX-1000 that is in good shape.

Well, I live in eastern NC, and the MX-1000 I'm contemplating is represented to be one owner, original condition. Sooo, for a refurb, would it be advisable to go with a reputable service point from this forums references, ship to as needed, or try to find somebody I can drive the unit too in my state, but have no volume of references?

Wonder where I could audition those speakers in the South East...

Well, I live in eastern NC, and the MX-1000 I'm contemplating is represented to be one owner, original condition. Sooo, for a refurb, would it be advisable to go with a reputable service point from this forums references, ship to as needed, or try to find somebody I can drive the unit too in my state, but have no volume of references?

Wonder where I could audition those speakers in the South East...
I would advice you to take it to our resident Yamaha tech ..above ^^^^^^^

Back
Top Bottom