New modern speakers for a Marantz 2230?

JohnnyS

Looking for EZ to get new speakers I can buy through amozon or ebay for a 2230. I like Infinity and Polk Audio only because I have some. Any sugestions!

I have Marantz amps, both vintage and new, and my only speakers are Monitor Audio Silver RX6, I really like them, they are very nice. The newer models are called just "silver 6"

Maybe give us your budget and what size speakers you can fit ?

Oh, and welcome to AK, I just saw this is your first post !

Thinking $200.00 to $300.00? I am almost 60 and my hearing is not that great anymore. Too many rock concerts back in the day. Coupled with not useing ear protection shooting guns and operating noisy machenery. LOL. Thanks for your advice!

You have many options, but speaking from experience stay away from klipsch it doesn't pair well with Marantz. Or any 'bright' speakers in general.

Marantz receivers are known as warm but in my experience they have what I would have to call an upper mid 'twang' which I perceive as the Marantz sound. I had good results with my 80s polk rt8s and Dahlquist dq8s. Not so good with Klipsch kg4s.

And don't be afraid to use the tone controls. I found dialing down the treble one notch to help with many speakers and recordings.

My Klipsch RB 61ll speakers sound great with my 2230, they are larger bookshelfs front ported so they will work on shelfs but better on stands, pretty good bass at 45hz on these. 95 db sensitivity so the 30 watts per channel can drive them plenty loud if you want. Crutchfield.com has them for $329 with free delivery and 60 return so you have plenty of time to try them. Accessories4less.com also has Kef Q100's for $299.00 that pair very well with the 2230 very sweet midrange on these front ported as well, ok bass at 49hz but they are out of them at the moment.

The kef is a good suggestion. For $50 more you can get the kef q500 on amazon which will have a much more robust sound as it's a smaller floorstanding model.

Back
Top Bottom