New NAS

skippy_ps

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
DS216J

iB6jh9l.jpg
oFLtLaK.jpg
HzOWUHr.jpg

Congrats! I got a 413j and it is great for backups. I also use it with the DS Audio app on occasion.

Congrats! I got a 413j and it is great for backups. I also use it with the DS Audio app on occasion.
Yeah, I have another one at home now so I'm going to copy the music from that one to the 216J and use the other one for backup.

I use both DS Audio on the iPad and the pc interface to run mine. It's actually a little easier to use the iPad/Android app than the computer interface.

These things are great for music/file servers as well as backup.

I took the new one home and dl'd the os and AV software and will copy tunes later. I had to walk over and stick my ear up to it to see if it was running as it's very quiet.

Murray

I use a 213+ to serve up music, pictures, movies (it doesn't have the horsepower to transcode on the fly, so I do that before putting them on there), they are great little units. I stream music with Sonos, JRiver, BubbleUPnP, stream movies with Roku, Kodi, or just the PC. Handy as a pocket on a shirt.

A NAS is one of those things many people wouldn't think they need until the give one a spin, now I can't imagine being without one.

Subscribed for thoughts after you've used it a while. Bought a WD MyCloud EX2 and really disappointed; transfer speeds suck and so does Twonky. No ability to do fast batch copy by using USB connection, have to go over Ethernet.

I use a 213+ to serve up music, pictures, movies (it doesn't have the horsepower to transcode on the fly, so I do that before putting them on there), they are great little units. I stream music with Sonos, JRiver, BubbleUPnP, stream movies with Roku, Kodi, or just the PC. Handy as a pocket on a shirt.

A NAS is one of those things many people wouldn't think they need until the give one a spin, now I can't imagine being without one.
Yep, same here. I listen to a lot more music now as it's just so much faster and convenient. It's the bees knees.

Subscribed for thoughts after you've used it a while. Bought a WD MyCloud EX2 and really disappointed; transfer speeds suck and so does Twonky. No ability to do fast batch copy by using USB connection, have to go over Ethernet.
A lot of it has to do with the capability of the wired network and file size. I get, on average, about 55-70 mb/s moving files back and forth between the nas and computers in the office. Seagate Pro with two Seagate 3tb nas drives.

They will slow way down when transferring small files like .xls and .doc files. The Seagate nas has jumbo frames enabled which makes a big difference on large files.

Murray

I have 20K hours on mine presently, and it's an earlier model than Skippy has. Very reliable, and the GUI is great - lots of thought went into it. I've never tried any USB transfers, ethernet only, but it zips right along there. 80~90MB/s transfers over the whole network. HGST 7K4000 4TB Ultrastar drives.

Not sure if it'll show up, a screen shot on 4K monitor can make things kinda tiny. Resized the graph, it was way to tiny.

XFer1.jpg

Last edited:
I have 20K hours on mine presently, and it's an earlier model than Skippy has. Very reliable, and the GUI is great - lots of thought went into it. I've never tried any USB transfers, ethernet only, but it zips right along there. 80~90MB/s transfers over the whole network. HGST 7K4000 4TB Ultrastar drives.
Just to see what the current speed is, I just copied 1,280 files totaling 10.0 gb and got 70 mb/s to the Seagate Pro NAS. Mixture of files from <1k to about 40mb.

I'll check on what the Synology NAS does tonight.

Murray

yeah, I'm getting like 3-5 on the WD. definitely will be watching this thread. It's nice to have RAID 1 capability but the ability to load it up, um, blows.

yeah, I'm getting like 3-5 on the WD. definitely will be watching this thread. It's nice to have RAID 1 capability but the ability to load it up, um, blows.
Just transferred about 80 gb of music files (mostly .wav and .flac) and the average speed was 40 mb/s. From DS214 to DS216J.

Murray

I have it sitting about 5' from me and can't hear it at all. I believe that the fan speed can be adjusted on this one but I haven't looked for that yet.

Murray
I'm going to check this out. I want another NAS to use just for playing music, and I want it in the credenza with the rest of the living room stereo gear.
Thanks Murray.

I'm going to check this out. I want another NAS to use just for playing music, and I want it in the credenza with the rest of the living room stereo gear.
Thanks Murray.
Fan speed and led brightness adjustable in Control Panel/Hardware and Power. Not all of the Synology nas's have that feature so check it out at the Synology web site.

Murray

the 213+ that I have is discontinued, but it could sure use that LED brightness feature. Fan is quiet, HGST 7K 4000 Ultrastars are anything but quiet. Luckily it's where the noise isn't a big issue, but if I had it closer to civilization, I'd want quieter drives.

the 213+ that I have is discontinued, but it could sure use that LED brightness feature. Fan is quiet, HGST 7K 4000 Ultrastars are anything but quiet. Luckily it's where the noise isn't a big issue, but if I had it closer to civilization, I'd want quieter drives.
I left the fan speed at "medium" which seems to work fine - drives were reporting 29 - 31 C. I did turn the leds nearly all the way down as they can be annoying.

I have Seagate nas drives in the DS214 and they make no noticeable racket. I also have a Seagate nas with WD Red drives and they constantly make this clunk-clunk sound and that gets tiresome really fast. But, with the WD Red drives in the 216J, they don't do that, they're just as quiet as the Seagate drives. So, it must be something in the Seagate nas os that is constantly polling the drives. No noticeable vibration from either the Seagate or WD nas drives.

Murray

Back
Top Bottom