New Noob Newbie

Steveg2323

Hi audiophiles! Looking for advice here on stereo receivers and amps. I'm relatively new to this, just created a home theater system in my basement which i absolutely love. The setup is strictly for HT, but now I want a separate system strictly for music. My home theater system is an Onkyo tx nr656 7.2 receiver with 4 Polk monitor 70s for front left/right and I use the biamp to mirror rear left/right. I also have polk lsim 706c center and polk 704's to complete the 5.1 along with a Klipsch 12" subwoofer. It's amazing for home theater, but not music mainly due to the Onkyo. When i connect any of these speakers to an older crap sony stereo i have they sound so much more full and rich. Unfortunately the Sony is underpowered and not very detailed. But that setup is strictly HT anyway so I have no issues and absolutely love it.

My concerns are that I also have some great speakers that will be dedicated for music only in my living room but i want some advice on a stereo receiver. I have a pair of DCM KX-12s and a pair of Polk Audio LSIM 707's that I'm looking to power to fill the living room and dining room.

I need something to push these bad boys and not sure which direction to head. I prefer a warmer sound and have read about vintage 70's & 80's receivers as well as tube amps like McIntosh. I never had any of them but I am very curious. I also need something powerful but don't want to break the bank since this is my first foray into this hobby/obsession. I have no issue with separates either. I prefer all types of music from jazz, blues, classical to classic rock, disco, r&b, and even old school hip hop. I love stevie ray vaughn & led zeppellin but also jam out to beastie boys, rage against the machine and bass music. So please offer some suggestions on receivers/amps to power the speakers i mentioned. BTW if you can't tell i like it loud and crystal clear! I really appreciate all of your input and responses.

I also haven't decided if i want to run separate zones for the polks ave DCMs.

Thanks,
Steve

Welcome! One quick note: Unless you listen to FM, an integrated amp gives more bang for the buck.

Welcome to ya. The answers you seek can be found somewhere on AK. Ask away and the oracles shall speak truth (or at least their opinion).

Back
Top Bottom