New Orleans music and the Mardi Gras Indian project

There's another thread going on at the moment and I was going to mention that I didn't "get" Harry Connick Junior until I heard him on a decent system. I bought around 10 CDs Harry's on ebay for my wife and passed it off as lightweight, sentimental stuff with some jazzier numbers now and then.

Anyway, threw on "She" one day and had it playing in the background, it caught my attention a couple of times in some clever spots and I thought I'd give it a listen. It's described as a "funk' album but it doesn't seem to be , it's a mashup of blues, jazz, funk, swing, rock and country. And at the time I attributed this as a sort of melting pot of New Orleans sound. Magnificent album recorded with a really, really bloody tight band and excellent SQ. It really surprised me, all my preconceptions went out the window.

Anyway, your excellent posts have thrown some more light on this unusual experience in a roundabout way.

Nice! If you get a chance to watch the Booker documentary Harry does a great job showing why Booker was such a genius. Plus the stories he tells are great! I really cant imagine in todays world of "safe spaces" and political correctness a powerful political figure bringing a drug addict home to teach his children to play piano! hahahah

I made a small Kickstarter pledge to that Booker documentary but I still haven't watched - love his music.

Yeah Lily had a real hard time getting the family to sign off on the film. They were real upset that she openly said he was a gay man, which he was, but they didnt want that out there. On one hand it is sad that his family was so unaccepting of his homosexuality that 30 years after his death they couldn't admit it, on the other hand this lifetime struggle for Booker is what made him what he was. Like a sacrificial lamb, his inner torment and pain that led to his beautiful music is ultimately what killed him. He died anonymously in the hall way of Charity hospital in New Orleans.

On a happier note... go listen to these albums.

Louie_and_the_Dukes_of_Dixieland_1960_Audio_Fidelity_AFSD5924.jpg

Louie and the Dukes of Dixieland

Louis Armstrong and The Dukes of Dixieland

1960 Audio Fidelity AFSD 5924

My CD/LP/TAPE Collection

I could go on but I will see if anyone really has any interest in this.

if you are interested and looking for some newer stuff to get into check out the 79er's gang 2015 release, great record!

also in 2015 the legendary Big Chief Monk boudreaux released a indian staple "indian red" on red vinyl

79ers Gang is made up of two different gangs from the 7th and 9th wards. I know Chief Bossier from the 7th Ward Creole Hunters who make up half of the 79rs. This is a great project.

Well , every now and again you come across a unicorn. A record so rare no one knows anything about it.

I picked this up today off of ebay, James Carroll Booker " the black Liberace" Dan's dilemma and Sunny side of the street. I found one listing on popsike for one of these that was autographed, nothing on Discogs. I did find one other mention on a blog where the person, said he had one but didn't know anything about it really. He speculated it was a one off label, probably just ran this one record to be sold on tour or for promotion but this was all speculation. I have emailed anyone who might know whats up with this release, we'll see what turns up. For now , I am ecstatic that it is coming home to New Orleans and into my collection!

Well , every now and again you come across a unicorn. A record so rare no one knows anything about it.

I picked this up today off of ebay, James Carroll Booker " the black Liberace" Dan's dilemma and Sunny side of the street. I found one listing on popsike for one of these that was autographed, nothing on Discogs. I did find one other mention on a blog where the person, said he had one but didn't know anything about it really. He speculated it was a one off label, probably just ran this one record to be sold on tour or for promotion but this was all speculation. I have emailed anyone who might know whats up with this release, we'll see what turns up. For now , I am ecstatic that it is coming home to New Orleans and into my collection!

Wow amazing.

I just recently picked up a used copy (CD) of Bo Dollis "I'm back ... at carnival time" that I stumbled across at a record store. Some of the vocals are a bit smoother than I anticipated, but the African rhythms are pretty wild. The "call and response" format is much in evidence also. Excellent stuff!

Glad I found this thread. I love the Wild Tchoupitoulas album and other NO music. Have you seen the photo book In the Spirit by Michael Smith? Got some great Indian pics.

Pete_Fountains_New_Orleans_1972_MCA_MCA-505.jpg

Pete Fountain's New Orleans

Pete Fountain

1959/1972 MCA MCA-505

My CD/LP/TAPE Collection

Nice! for some weird reason this is the third reference to Peaches records I've seen today on this forum....weird. Maybe the universe is telling me to go over there soon!

New_Orleans_Sweet_Emma_and_her_Preservation_Hall_Jazz_Band_1964_Preservation_Hall_VPS-2.jpg

s/t

New Orleans' Sweet Emma and her Preservation Hall Jazz Band

1964 Preservation Hall VPS-2

My CD/LP/TAPE Collection

I just picked up this album! haven't even listened to it yet. The last Preservation Jazz hall record was great!

Back
Top Bottom