New Production 12DW7/7247...go or no go?

Fuzzbuster

Addicted Member
I was wondering what those who tried the EH 12DW7 thought about it. I don't really care for their 12AX7 for audio...too much gain. Great for guitar amps. So what say you all? Thanks, Fuzz.

I was wondering what those who tried the EH 12DW7 thought about it. I don't really care for their 12AX7 for audio...too much gain. Great for guitar amps. So what say you all? Thanks, Fuzz.
the price is very attractive! I got a pair and they are perfectly acceptable. 12ax7 and 12au7 are made by jillions so putting 1 of each section in a single is not a big deal.

It works fine. I ran a pair in my Fisher 600. I later swapped them to a set of Mullard-made ones and honestly it doesn't sound all that different. If its being used as a voltage gain / phase inverter tube like they usually are, its inside the feedback loop and any variance in that tube won't really matter very much.

that said, if you don't mind odd branding, sometimes you can find gently used old production for reasonable prices. Mine are Hammond branded Mullards that cost about the same as new EH. They are used but test like new.

Thanks for the replies. The Fisher I just got has 2-12AX7s in for the 7247s. Depending on what the 12AU7 half is used for could that affect performance negatively?

Last edited:
JJ makes a 12DW7/7247 under their name ECC832.

Thanks for the replies. The Fisher I just got has 2-12AX7s in for the 7247s. Depending on what the 12AU7 half is used for could that affect performance negatively?

I'd expect so. If memory serves here, the 12au7 side is for the phase inverter, and the 12ax7 is the voltage amp. With the wrong value resistors on the inverter side, its probably not going to produce the right output voltage. Without taking any time to look at the specifics, my guess is you'd either get asymmetrical drive or possibly it would run out of ability to drive before you hit full output voltage.

I'd expect so. If memory serves here, the 12au7 side is for the phase inverter, and the 12ax7 is the voltage amp. With the wrong value resistors on the inverter side, its probably not going to produce the right output voltage. Without taking any time to look at the specifics, my guess is you'd either get asymmetrical drive or possibly it would run out of ability to drive before you hit full output voltage.

Hi. Thanks for that information. My electronics knowledge is woefully lacking. Is there a Resident Fisher Authority on this site that I could consult? Thank you.

Ask over at the Fisher forum for a technical reason and explanation.

In my Fisher SA100 I use Hammond branded 7247' s by Millard (made in Gt Br. ). I tried other brands, I liked the Mullard tubes the most in that amp. YMMV.
I bought them years ago but I don't remember what I paid. I know they didn't break the bank.

I guess they're holding up better than my memory.

Back
Top Bottom