New Releases, 2016

Kalle Kalima – High Noon

7SNGQa5.jpg

"Cowboy jazz" (yes, there is such a thing). Apart from the atrocious cover, this is actually both interesting and well performed imo and I'm not even much of a fan of "cowboy" music anything in general.

3.5/5

Leo Amuedo - Guitar Stories

cKBKRWy.jpg

Basically crossover/world-fusion guitar based jazz from this virtuoso guitarist who excels at the myriad of styles he performs on this eclectic album. My only complaint is that the SQ is a little sub-par, being as the DR is only 10, and thus the album sounds a little loud and lacks some air. This is a shame as this is often beautiful sounding music that deserves more room to breathe and truly shine.

4/5

Malou Beauvoir - Is This Love

ovjJWQ1.jpg

I've never been a huge fan of vocal jazz (I like it, but only occasionally), so I'm pretty picky with such vocalists (too many performers seem like bad lounge singers to me, including popular singers I will not mention), but Beauvoir sings with both conviction as well as elegance and restraint (she doesn't overdo it); on this album at least.

And as a not inconsequential bonus to her fine performance is that this CD has exceptional SQ imo. It serves as a fine example of just how stunning vocal jazz can sound with modern production techniques done right. The vocals are warm yet incredibly clear, there is a lovely sense of space around all the instruments (including the vocals) but not so much as to ruin the needed intimacy of the recording, and the highs (particularly on the cymbals) are exquisitely delicate...and that's just to start. This may even become (yet another) system tester CD.

A captivating recording both artistically and sonically. 4.5/5

Last edited:
MI0004038391.jpg

Ebonit Saxophone Quartet
The Last Words of Christ

Release Date
March 25, 2016
Duration

53:05
Genre

Classical
Styles

Chamber Music

It would be difficult to find a new release by a saxophone quartet that was as pure and moving. A well thought out and constructed piece of musical art that enjoys the highest standards in recording from Challenge Records.

4 star

Malou Beauvoir - Is This Love

ovjJWQ1.jpg

I've never been a huge fan of vocal jazz (I like it, but only occasionally), so I'm pretty picky with such vocalists (too many performers seem like bad lounge singers to me, including popular singers I will not mention), but Beauvoir sings with both conviction as well as elegance and restraint (she doesn't overdo it); on this album at least.

And as a not inconsequential bonus to her fine performance is that this CD has exceptional SQ imo. It serves as a fine example of just how stunning vocal jazz can sound with modern production techniques done right. The vocals are warm yet incredibly clear, there is a lovely sense of space around all the instruments (including the vocals) but not so much as to ruin the needed intimacy of the recording, and the highs (particularly on the cymbals) are exquisitely delicate...and that's just to start. This may even become (yet another) system tester CD.

A captivating recording both artistically and sonically. 4.5/5

You give it a 4.5 I put it in my basket. No wonder I am always broke.

MI0004090038.jpg

Kristin Lewis / Andrea Bocelli / Zubin Mehta
Verdi: Aida

Release Date
July 22, 2016
Genre
Classical
Styles
Opera

I love the album art and enjoy the familiar voice of Bocelli along with the soprano work of Kristin Lewis but I don't think Mehta has brought anything special or unique to this oft heralded opera.

I was/am fine with last years well received release by Pappano featuring Kaufmann and Harteros and did not need this at this time.

3 of 5.

MI0004083352.jpg

London Symphony Orchestra Percussion Ensemble
Steve Reich: Sextet; Clapping Music; Music for Pieces of Wood

Release Date
June 10, 2016
Duration
43:03
Genre
Avant-GardeClassical
Styles
Chamber MusicMinimalism
Recording Date
October 30, 2015

I suppose recording like this have their place but it's certainly not in broad appeal or or what we generally think of as entertaining music. It's more a work in experiment and as such has it's place... I suppose. Yes Reich has his place but this collection of his work is not for me. (although I did enjoy Crotchet+ 192)

All Music seems to enjoy it just fine offering 3 1/2 stars, I am not so smitten, I offer but 1/12.

You give it a 4.5 I put it in my basket. No wonder I am always broke.

It's worth it! :thumbsup:

This mini review saved me a buck! About time. :)

Jmo of course, but I was really disappointed.

I do tend to be generous in my ratings with most albums (for instance, I could easily give that one a 1.5 - 2), so keep that in mind. :biggrin:

MI0004083352.jpg

London Symphony Orchestra Percussion Ensemble
Steve Reich: Sextet; Clapping Music; Music for Pieces of Wood

Release Date
June 10, 2016
Duration
43:03
Genre
Avant-GardeClassical
Styles
Chamber MusicMinimalism
Recording Date
October 30, 2015

I suppose recording like this have their place but it's certainly not in broad appeal or or what we generally think of as entertaining music. It's more a work in experiment and as such has it's place... I suppose. Yes Reich has his place but this collection of his work is not for me. (although I did enjoy Crotchet+ 192)

All Music seems to enjoy it just fine offering 3 1/2 stars, I am not so smitten, I offer but 1/12.

Very interesting; I'll try about anything and I bet that sounds great on a top system. Would be of utilitarian value for a system tester/builder if nothing else.

Caveman - Otero War

RClcYmf.jpg

Harmless and entertaining indie light pop rock. Nothing more or less. 3/5

(And yes I checked it out mainly because of the cover. :D)

Try to be back soon; I have a lot of albums I've listened to but have yet to post (at least in here). Seems I never have the time for even my silly little mini-reviews. (An impromptu lengthy trip to France recently distracted me as well).

Metal Church - XI

nyIsZPT.jpg

While I have all of MC's material, I'm only a mild fan, in the sense that I find even their best material just alright, which perhaps explains why I found this release very dull. There's nothing wrong with it (apart from the horrible modern production), but it's just "there" imo. 2/5 for me.

MI0004061552.jpg

Simon Rattle / Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphonien 1-9

Release Date
May 13, 2016
Duration
05:44:11
Genre
Classical
Styles
Symphony

https://www.berliner-philharmoniker-recordings.com/rattle-beethoven-symphonies.html

Simon Rattle conducts the Berlin Philharmonic:
Beethoven's 9 Symphonies

5 CD + 3 Blu-ray + download / hardcover edition

the download is available in Surround or Stereo, Wav or Flac, 24/192 or 24/96

A limited edition, 10 LP vinyl released is planned.

This is a must own collection for EVERY music enthusiast. Classical may not be your preferred genre but the inclusion of this new release masterpiece, is essential.

Rattle brings power, clarity and definition with the Digital Concert Hall capturing every note in it's purity.
Beethoven performed to perfection, interpreted in genius and captured at the apex of recording technology.
What else can be said?

All Music gives it 5 stars.
I seldom give 5 stars, very seldom. I believe I gave but one 5 star rating last year and likely 3 this year. This is clearly a 5 star recording.

MI0004052693.jpg

Dennis Russell Davies
Philip Glass: The Symphonies

Release Date
April 22, 2016
Duration
07:47:14
Genre
Avant-GardeClassical
Styles
SymphonyMinimalismModern Composition
Recording Date
September, 1996

Yet another stellar collection released this year.
Dennis Russel Davies make the most of these formidable works over the years and now here they are all housed together.
For me, this is an essential set as a collector. Another 5 star release.
I am, of course, a big fan of Mr. Glass.

It's been a wonderful year for music. :)

Madeleine Peyroux ~ Secular Hymns
TIDAL

MI0004124477.jpg

I can not recommend this one. After hearing the 'Everything Funky' single I was hoping for a great album, but this one just kind of drags along, especially her covers of "If the Sea Was Whiskey" and "Hard Times Come Again No More"

Even my wife commented on this saying she seems to be in search of a style that suits, and this is not it.

Maybe I will listen again during the middle of the winter on a dark wet day but not when the sun is shining.

Weird happenings with AK. I was ready to post a question about olson_jr's post about the Peyroux, and it hung up. And of course I missed his post above. Doh!

I can not recommend this one. After hearing the 'Everything Funky' single I was hoping for a great album, but this one just kind of drags along, especially her covers of "If the Sea Was Whiskey" and "Hard Times Come Again No More"

Even my wife commented on this saying she seems to be in search of a style that suits, and this is not it.

Maybe I will listen again during the middle of the winter on a dark wet day but not when the sun is shining.
As my post above mentions, I tried to ask you about this one but it failed.

I had strong hopes based on what amazon mentioned about the songwriters she was covering on this album.
I'm a fan of a lot of her earlier stuff, but the last two? Meh, for me.

You're wife might be onto something. I saw Peyroux live a few years ago, and that's how I felt about her performance. She really seemed to be trying to change things up. Which is fine, but her covers came across as very mailed in, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom