New Schiit preamps and power amp!

Received my Saga and Mimby on Thursday. Replaced an Emotiva DC-1. Sounds great! I like the small remote and the power switch being on the back. Using it in tube mode. I think it pairs well with the amp. Will order the Vidar when it's available.
Dan

Received my Saga and Mimby on Thursday. Replaced an Emotiva DC-1. Sounds great! I like the small remote and the power switch being on the back. Using it in tube mode. I think it pairs well with the amp. Will order the Vidar when it's available.
Dan

What does the Schiit Saga replace? Were you using the Emotiva DAC as a preamp? I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on how the new gear sounds after you've settled in with it.

The placement of the power switch on Schiit gear only concerns me on the Vidar. My power amps go the bottom shelf of my rack. Having to get on my hands and knees to flip the power switch would be a real drag. When they were developing the new "2 Channel Line" there were a number of requests for 12 V triggers but Jason Stoddard didn't think that it was a desirable feature, oh well. I understand that I can use a power strip or a remote controlled power outlet, but I'm not sure I want to go down that road.

-Dave

Last edited:
Got my Saga yesterday to play with. I broke the cardinal rule and changed a bunch of stuff in this system at once... but so far I'm very impressed. Will post more later. But I know you guys love pics...

- Woody

IMG_8351.JPG IMG_8347.JPG IMG_8343.JPG
IMG_8356.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8354.JPG
    IMG_8354.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8353.JPG
    IMG_8353.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 7
I am curious, why did you go with the Saga, not the Freya?

Also, how does the remote feel in your hand?

Have you any initial observations on the differences with or without the tube?

Good luck with it.

What's the phono pre?

Emotiva XPS-1 Gen2. It has 60db gain in MC mode and the variable loading lets me load the 103 at 100ohms. I decided it would be the best match for the 103 under $200.

I am curious, why did you go with the Saga, not the Freya?

Also, how does the remote feel in your hand?

Have you any initial observations on the differences with or without the tube?

Good luck with it.

I decided on the Saga for a few reasons. I don't need the SS output cause I knew I wanted to use the active tube out almost exclusively. I didn't need balanced output for this system since my amps have single ended input only. Price. And I wanted to be able to tube roll nicer tubes by just needing singles instead of quads.

Also, I figured (correctly) that since this is a unity gain preamp and it doesn't rely on the tube for gain, it's much more forgiving of noisy tubes. 6SN7's that are noisy in my Modwright are totally usable in the Saga. The Freya uses its tubes for gain and not just as a tube buffer.

I think it's freaking amazing for the price.

The remote is cheap and lacks heft. But as far as these types of remotes go it's good. Functionality is great. You can control almost everything from it.

I haven't listened to the passive mode really. I will and report back. I wanted the tube flavor and I knew that going in.

- Woody

Thanks for your thoughts.

I decided against buying one of these for the time being. I will probably re-consider later in the year.

You make interesting points about tubes. I was considering the issues with tubes(which I still have) in a pre- amp before I went an spent my money on a ss integrated. Yet, something keeps pulling me back toward the Schiit pre amps. I wonder if I would use the tube buffering but as a ss pre, they still look interesting.

Any future updates would be appreciated.

Just remember that the passive mode is like other passives in that you need to run short cables. I'm running a pair of 8' rca's out of the Saga so the active stage is preferable. If you're wanting to drive longer cables but no tube, then the Freya would be your go to.

I think there is a good chance I'll own a Freya at some point as well. Probably pick one up used whenever one pops up down the road and pair it balanced with a pair of Vidars. I think it would be cool to have an all Schiit system paired with my Tektons.

- Woody

I have been wanting to try out a tube preamp for some time, and I wanted to keep it under $1000. The Freya looks like a great option.

I have a kind of "hybrid" system, with Surround system and stereo system combined. The Emotiva UMC-200 is good for 2 channel stereo listening, but I usually don't use the subs for stereo listening and it isn't easy to switch them on/off and the mains from small to large, when going back and forth between surround & stereo. The dual prepro/preamp solution works well for me. Also, I really don't like the digital volume control buttons of the UMC-200, I like a good "old fashioned" volume knob, when listening to 2.0 channel music. I just ordered a "mfspdesigns" "Custom PSB2-1R" 2 way RCA switch box with upgraded silver plated wiring, to switch between my UMC-200 and Acurus LS-11, my current 2.0 channel preamp, into my Citation amp which runs the Mirage M3SIs. Additionally, I can use the use the UMC-200's EmoQ Auto room correction software for surround, and it won't mess up the "stereo" side of the system.

I don't need any of the extras the Freay has over the Saga, I just assumed it would sound/be better because it is a step up piece. But some online are saying the Saga has a cleaner/shorter analog signal path, that would be a benefit.

But anyway, any reason not to get the Freya over the Saga?

Last edited:
Yes, if you don't need the extra functionality or gain of the Freya. If "passive" attenuation will do, then IMHO the Saga is the way to go. It really all depends how much total gain is right for your system.

I decided to order a Freya, and I just got it. It has 2 issues though. Main issue is a very loud and annoying relay clicking as I adjust the volume (a lot like this
) and also the JFET stage has no gain over the passive stage. Any ideas?

Thanks.

It says on their site, its a stepped volume not a potentiometer, and you can hear it click is normal

OK... A bit annoying though...

Anyone know if the JFET stage is supposed to have more gain than the passive? Only the Tube stage has any gain over passive.

Does the sound happen with the remote as well?
Yes, but apparently that is normal, just caught me off guard so to speak.

I also got confirmation from Schiit that the JFET stage is the same gain (1) as the passive, only the Tube stage has more gain.

So all is as it should be, sorry for my overreaction, and it does sound very nice. :D

Back
Top Bottom