New Schiit Saga - Passive preamp

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews & Opinions' started by normdeplume, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Mark_71

Mark_71 AK Subscriber Subscriber

So am I not realizing all the potential uses for this? I was thinking it was just a phono pre-amp. If it boosts a phono signal up to line-level, won't it over do (boost too much) a CD or Tapes signal which is already at line-level? Or is that what the volume control is for? And so having all those extra inputs adds some "color" or somehow enhances the sound of those other devices.

Reason I'm asking is I'm searching for a new phono preamp. Looking at the Pro-ject Tube Box S and Tube Box DS2 - both of which are more money than this one. I'm using a Technics SA-700 integrated receiver.

2. The Saga is NOT a phono pre amp.

If you want a phono pre amp from Schiit, they offer the Mani.

Mark_71 likes this.
  3. jetstream

jetstream Active Member

You already have phono input on the SA-700.

4. Mark_71

Mark_71 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I do, but I wanted to try our some external ones to see if it made any difference. Even a modest improvement.

5. jetstream

jetstream Active Member

Ok, Saga is not a phono preamp.

6. judsonw

judsonw Active Member

Yeah, the Saga is not what you are looking for then. I have not heard the Tube Box S, but I have the Tube Box DS2. I enjoy it, but it was also a big step up from the $50 phono preamp I was using before. I have used it with both MM and MC cartridges and like the versatility of it.

As for the Saga, I may be interested whenever I decide to upgrade next (currently have an integrated amp; might want to try separate pre and power amps).