New Schiit Saga - Passive preamp

Just found this thread (hi Jeff !) doing some follow-up on the Saga from another thread.
Interesting component, I transitioned from a passive to a buffer myself not long ago with a Pass Labs B-1, a "stick shift" solid state alternative to the Saga.
Relative to the discussion in the $31 preamp thread about polarity reversal, I don't think the Saga inverts acoustic polarity in any setting, assuming it is a cathode follower buffer. A "buffer" stage is an isolation stage intended to isolate loading or other interactive effects between two other stages or components, like a source and a power amplifier when signal boost isn't required or desired. A buffer generally has less influence on the "sound" than an active preamp. A preamplifier can do isolation but also boosts the signal, and may or may not invert signal polarity, depending on design. A preamp may affect the sound, compared to a passive controller or buffer.

An older thread now, but curious if anyone is still using their Schiit Saga, and if they continue to enjoy it's performance? I have a 1st gen used Saga on it's way. And while it wasn't a great financial risk in buying it, I was still wondering if this preamp has met expectations?

I got the Saga at a great price. The previous owner is even including a tube riser, as well as Rad-Tel "black" and GE/Sylvania 6SN7 aftermarket tubes. So, I'm definitely excited for it's arrival on Tuesday. It should be fun! Even more so, since I learned it can be set for unity gain, to allow for HT passthrough functionality.

Oh, any other tubes I should look out for? I like open and airy, with good midrange presence. Accurate bass. I listen to most genres of music, with Prog, Classical, and Electronic my main favorites.

Thanks.

I suggest you try it for awhile before tube-swapping. I've no knowledge of new tubes, some of NOS. I also have 6SN7 Sylvania NOS, and find Ram-Tube equivalents better. Ram-Tubes were new tubes critically selected for the best: Ram went defunct years ago and can no longer be considered "New" but the concept is the same. And they're better than the Sylvania (true NOS: I put the first hours on them, doing the burn-in.)

curious if anyone is still using their Schiit Saga, and if they continue to enjoy it's performance?

Yes, and yes.

Since this is my first preamp, I have nothing to compare it to. I've always used receivers/integrated and even now have the Saga into a Pioneer SX-1010. I primarily bought it for the remote. Using mine with a Tung-Sol but really can't tell any difference, in or out. Of course that's probably due to my old, half deaf ears (I top out at 9Khz-where the tinnitus starts).

I also tried it with my Sansui AU-919 but found it to be a little too revealing. At least to my ears. The Pioneer adds just a little smoothness, without any loss of detail, that I prefer.

I think you'll enjoy it!

Yes, and yes.

Using mine with a Tung-Sol but really can't tell any difference, in or out. Of course that's probably due to my old, half deaf ears (I top out at 9Khz-where the tinnitus starts)
When it was a new item, many commented that switching the tube in or out made no difference. Your old ears may be blameless.

I suggest you try it for awhile before tube-swapping. I've no knowledge of new tubes, some of NOS. I also have 6SN7 Sylvania NOS, and find Ram-Tube equivalents better. Ram-Tubes were new tubes critically selected for the best: Ram went defunct years ago and can no longer be considered "New" but the concept is the same. And they're better than the Sylvania (true NOS: I put the first hours on them, doing the burn-in.)

Thanks. Unfortunately, no chance of trying the stock tube. The previous owner discarded it. So, I'll have to start with the included tubes, and decide if I need anything else, after comparing those two. Schiit does offer JJ tubes, but I think I'd rather try others first. :)

Yes, and yes.

Since this is my first preamp, I have nothing to compare it to. I've always used receivers/integrated and even now have the Saga into a Pioneer SX-1010. I primarily bought it for the remote. Using mine with a Tung-Sol but really can't tell any difference, in or out. Of course that's probably due to my old, half deaf ears (I top out at 9Khz-where the tinnitus starts).

I also tried it with my Sansui AU-919 but found it to be a little too revealing. At least to my ears. The Pioneer adds just a little smoothness, without any loss of detail, that I prefer.

I think you'll enjoy it!

Thanks too! That's good to hear. I'll try the Saga with an Amber ST70 amp. I have a NAD as well. My Hafler DH500 needs recapping, otherwise that would be my first choice, for the Saga.

Oh, I'm interested in a Tung-Sol. I'd add it to my list. :D

Last edited:
had a freya, found the chinese stock tubes to be horrible, the upgraded new tung sol 6SN7 a little better but not worth the cost for the uptick..i put some old RCA in there, also rolled several other NOS.. all were better than the new issue tung sol and overall, worth the $, because you can resell or keep for later, put the junk tubes back in to sell it. I'd go straight to NOS. in my limited experience, new issue tubes make me pine for solid state.

I read that RAM were made at the SED plant in St Petes..also read they were Chinese so. anyone? I missed on some KT-88 a few months back..still don't know if I dodged a bullet or missed out on the deal of a lifetime.

An older thread now, but curious if anyone is still using their Schiit Saga, and if they continue to enjoy it's performance? I have a 1st gen used Saga on it's way. And while it wasn't a great financial risk in buying it, I was still wondering if this preamp has met expectations?

I got the Saga at a great price. The previous owner is even including a tube riser, as well as Rad-Tel "black" and GE/Sylvania 6SN7 aftermarket tubes. So, I'm definitely excited for it's arrival on Tuesday. It should be fun! Even more so, since I learned it can be set for unity gain, to allow for HT passthrough functionality.

Oh, any other tubes I should look out for? I like open and airy, with good midrange presence. Accurate bass. I listen to most genres of music, with Prog, Classical, and Electronic my main favorites.

Thanks.

Still using in front of a Naim inspired power amp in the gym system. I don't really believe it can be bettered without spending significantly more. My Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 3 is undoubtedly better though at a large increase in overall cost.

I've been listening to my Saga for about 2 weeks now, and really enjoy it. The GE tube was noisy, and popped when changing inputs, so I'm using the Rad-Tel Black. The Rad-Tel sounds far better than the GE. Much more open, with a wide soundstage. Very easy to listen too, very musical.

Unfortunately, in going back to separates, I found my vintage amps need some updates. It seems all my spare amps are now exhibiting hum, pointing to a need for recaps. So, to fill in, I picked up an Aiyima TPA3251 Class D amp. It sounds good, plenty powerful. Good bass detail and timbre, but dry and forward in the treble. Not harsh, just a bit excessive.

Now, around the same time I found the Aiyima amp, I also spotted an Adcom GFA-5400 amp. It's recapped, and the seller offered free shipping (after I asked)! After spending 4 days in Fed Ex limbo, I received the Adcom yesterday. Saying it was an improvement over the Aiyima is an understatement. Every musical aspect is better. Dynamics, bass response and impact, air and soundstaging, palpability, all better, and much more realistic. I can hear space and air around the musicians, and decay and reverb detail is easily heard. My system truly sounds (entry level) high end now, if that makes sense? I feel I can do some additional tube rolling with the Saga, and hear what's changing, and pick a final winner.

Last edited:
Oh, Stravinsky's The Firebird did not make for a good recording to relax to, before going to bed last night! Much more dynamic, with the Saga-Adcom combo. I can now understand why there were riots in Paris, at it's premiere! :eek:

I think tonight, some Aaron Copland might be a better bedtime choice. :)

Last edited:
I'm still running my adcom monos and just switched back to SS from 4 months o0f tube.. and fell back in love with them.

Stravinsky's The Firebird

Sounds like a good one to put on while I load the truck for a dump run. Also have Berlioz, Tchaikovsky and Smetana in the same cartridge so should be good for a while. ;)

Glad you're liking the Saga and yes, the amp does make a huge difference. :thumbsup:

Had been running a Sylvania 6F8G which was better than any 6SN7's I've tried. Decided to try something new, a pair of Ken Rad 7193 / 2C22 with adapter. I don't think there is going back to any other tubes, the 7193's beats anything I've tried.

saga - 7193 by bladerunnr40, on Flickr

Looks impressive. But do I need 1.21 Gigawatts of power? :)

Care to share sources? Especially, the adapter?

Thanks.

It looks like something one might find on HeeHaw, but maybe you could explain it?

Adapter comes from China via every ones favorite auction site.
Each 7193 is half a 6sn7 with grid and anode caps. These are hands down the best tubes I've had in the Saga and they are inexpensive. (as little as $6 ea from places like ESRC) Had to buy a couple more adapters for another amp I was so impressed.

Last edited:
While I'm not on lock-down, I was still bored, and modded my Schiit Saga preamp. I pulled the stock Wima caps and replaced them with Mundorf EVO Oils. They were extras, and fit perfectly in place. My Supremes and Supreme S/O caps were just too large. No Dynamat on the relays, like some have done. I thought about it, but the clicks don't bother me. My son hates it...! :)

After only a couple of hours of play time, WOW. A nice difference. More expansive in all directions. Extended bass and treble. Better micro detail, less blurring of musical passages. Multiple instruments, playing together, are now separate and distinct. The only negative so far, a bit of white noise in the treble. Better treble extension and air, just a slight sheen over the treble. Hopefully, that'll improve with more playing time (burn in). :rolleyes::p:biggrin:

Last edited:
I just picked up a used Schiit Saga + On Fleabay and the seller is including some extra tubes with the unit. Can anyone give me some opinions on the models?
This is my first introduction to mid-fi and tubes. I have a pair of JBL 4410's that I just can't seem to part with. The Saga will slide in and push signal to an Emotiva A-300. I love the detail of the 4410's tweeter, but they can get fatiguing after extended listening. I'm hoping this tube brings some refinement to the high end and makes for some better sound staging, (something the 4410's already do very well.)

GE 6SN7GTB
GE 6SN7GTA

Back
Top Bottom