New smoker

I leave my smoker alone for the most part. The "char" built up on the sides actually helps keep the temperature more even. Some of the BBQ experts out there even recommend seasoning the smoker before using it by smoking some really fatty meats a couple of times just to build that layer up. They do, however, recommend cleaning out old grease and other things that can become rancid or affect the flavor. I think the char on mine is so baked on by this point that it would take a major effort to remove it anyway.

Reminds me that I have racks of ribs in the freezer waiting to be smoked. Maybe this weekend.... ;)

Well this is my gas grill, I cleaned like this. I do have a smoker and I pretty much just clean the racks and water pan. Seeing his grill is both smoker and grill, that is why I commented.

Well this is my gas grill, I cleaned like this. I do have a smoker and I pretty much just clean the racks and water pan. Seeing his grill is both smoker and grill, that is why I commented.
Gotcha! My mistake--I was reading fast, and replying based on it being a "smoker" thread. ;)

My Weber kettle sometimes gets a good cleaning--I'll hit it with the power washer. Most of the char comes off, but some still remains. It does get rid of all the soot and other things that accumulate. Gotta tell ya though, mine is way overdue. I've been debating getting a new one that has the cart attached to it, as I have nowhere here to put any of the tools down. And mine is 21 years old--the bowl is fine, but I had to bolt the handle on, and the legs have gotten wobbly. I'll keep it though. A second grill is handy for parties.

First modifications made to new smoker: fire brick in the smoke box. This should hold more heat in and make the fire a more consistent temp.
DSCF6144.JPG DSCF6141.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF6141.JPG
    DSCF6141.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 0
First modifications made to new smoker: fire brick in the smoke box. This should hold more heat in and make the fire a more consistent temp.
View attachment 1145605 View attachment 1145608
Great idea. One of my biggest problems with sheet metal smokers was keeping the temp constant, especially on windy days.
Are you lining the smoker section too? Wouldn't hurt for sure if you can pull it off.

One of my biggest problems with sheet metal smokers was keeping the temp constant, especially on windy days.
It cost a bit, but the temperature controller I bought eliminated that problem once and for all. (It's actually a pleasure to use the smoker now. ;) ) Windy days were a little more challenging prior to that, but it was more a problem getting the temperature where I wanted it initially, and I would be checking it more often to make certain it was still on track.

I have used fire bricks in the smoker part and seem to get somewhat more consistent heat. The bricks I have are full size bricks from a house built in the '30s. I might have to check and see if some to the smaller bricks will work in the firebox.

Alan

It cost a bit, but the temperature controller I bought eliminated that problem once and for all. (It's actually a pleasure to use the smoker now. ;) ) Windy days were a little more challenging prior to that, but it was more a problem getting the temperature where I wanted it initially, and I would be checking it more often to make certain it was still on track.
My first smoker was a propane barrel type grill/smoker thingy. All manual, no place for a temp control.
A small gust of wind would send the temperature jumping off a cliff.
I bought a small fridge type insulated electric smoker recently and have had much, much better luck.
Keeping the smoke constant was another hurdle though. All smokers should come with a separate burner for the wood.

I would like to report that this brisket was the best I have done.
Wrapped it at 160. Took the point up to 205 and the flat to 199. Then wrapped in towels to rest for 3 hrs. It was melt in your mouth like butter but not falling apart. soft and very juicy texture. Everyone was very complementary.

I’ll definitely be doing them hot and fast from now on. Much easier and turned out great. I used seasoned oak and only thin blue smoke .

Wow, you guys are smokin' up some great looking meats. I was using a Weber Smoky Mountain 'till I got a Traeger.
I don't have to tend the fire nearly as much and can combine the woods to my liking.
My hats off to you guys. Good job and top notch BBQ. :thumbsup:

I would like to report that this brisket was the best I have done.
Wrapped it at 160. Took the point up to 205 and the flat to 199. Then wrapped in towels to rest for 3 hrs. It was melt in your mouth like butter but not falling apart. soft and very juicy texture. Everyone was very complementary.

I’ll definitely be doing them hot and fast from now on. Much easier and turned out great. I used seasoned oak and only thin blue smoke .

Explain "hot and fast" please. I don't do brisket a lot as I have trouble maintaining a consistent temp for the long smoke needed for brisket.

Most consider anything over 350 "Hot and Fast", others will say 375. But it is a rule a thumb not a hard and fast rule. I consider anything over 325 grilling not BBQing. And 275 is a much easier temp to maintain for a long brisket cook so many will start there. But again, rules are made to be broken ;)

61cJxstoJ2L._SL1054_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom