New Technics SL-1500C Introduced!

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by MCM_Fan, Jan 7, 2019.

1. DavidTT

DavidTT AK Subscriber Subscriber

You'll have to pony up then for the GR, G or GAE if you want your Technics to arrive from Japan. The new decks will be made in Malaysia and WhatHiFi noted a significantly cheaper, lighter build quality in their hands-on.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Owner and user of an SL1300 Mk2 since 1996. This is pretty damn cool to see all this new stuff from my favorite tt manufacturer!

3. spark1

spark1 Super Member

Sounds to me as if they are describing a cheaper, lighter build quality.

And the stated differences in materials used and in weight are not subjective.

4. jetstream

jetstream Active Member

What is important is are they any lower quality than MK2. Of course they'll be lower quality compared to the G that's triple the price.

5. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

From CES!

Attached Files:

6. wushuliu

wushuliu AK Subscriber Subscriber

Stereophile says it will be $1400 for this and $1200 for the 1200MK7. Yikes. On the upside, probably means quality will be better than some people think. Downside is that they are still pretty expensive and outside the budget market. I had hoped they might be within buying range for me, but at those prices I'd rather do vintage for less.

Evonimos likes this.

7. mackat

mackat AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's somewhat disappointing to hear. I was hoping (and I think many others were as well) that it would be $999 or less, and certainly not more expensive than the 1200 mk7. Of course, it will likely still be a great turntable, but at $1400, that would to be a hard sell for me.

8. jetstream

jetstream Active Member

1500c can't be cheaper than mk7, as it is the same turntable plus: phono pre, Ortofon cart and auto lift. You can't get these features for $200 separately.

9. ODS123

ODS123 Well-Known Member

I disagree. A built-in phono pre-amp is probably a few dollars in parts as there's no need for a separate case, connectors, etc.. ..Just a few parts soldered into the signal path.. ..And a Red Ortofon cartridge is $99 retail. ..I'm sure Technics is paying quite a bit less based on volume.

And, remember the 1500 doesn't have the strobe light, the strobe dots on the platter (so easier to mill), the speed slider, or a reverse rotation feature.

Yet, if it's true that it's more expensive then there must be something more to the feature set. ..I'd be surprised if it's just b/c of the auto lift, pre-amp and cart..

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  10. jetstream

jetstream Active Member

If we see things that way then everything should be much cheaper, not only this turntable.

11. Montycat

Montycat AK Subscriber Subscriber

But there are more parts in that there are 2 sets of outputs. One bypasses the phono preamp. Also the phono preamp has a separate power supply.

I agree that it doesn't look like it should be that much more $$ though unless there's something else we don't know.

12. jetstream

jetstream Active Member

Let's put it this way: get te mk7 and equip it with decent phono pre, Ortofon Red cart and auto lift for $200. Impossible.

Montycat likes this.
  13. DavidTT

DavidTT AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'll be surprised if these machines sell well if priced well over $1000usd. Technics has a significant history but it's 2019 and the landscape has changed considerably. Their SL-1500 will have to compete with many other options and younger buyers will likely not know that Technics is/was a thing.

Times change. I would argue that Technics is very late to the party here. Asking prices so close to their Japan-made audiophile machines would be a significant mistake.

14. kermit z

kermit z Loud Music saves Lives!! Subscriber

No one should be surprised that the 1500 and 1200mk7 are not built in Japan. They are built to a price point, and really where the point is will have to wait. This doesn't mean they will be bad tables, just cheaper. We will see as people start buying these to find out how they are in the real world. Panasonic isn't a newby in this audio world.

SB12345 likes this.
  15. Evonimos

Evonimos Active Member

Thing is, the price doesn't translate to the cost.

It is usually adjusted to the segment of the market.

There can have same exact manufacturing cost, but selling at completely different prices.

16. Starquest

Starquest Super Member

No doubt this is exciting, but I don't need a phono preamp, and I don't need a 2M Red. An option for this table without those features would be great.

But I'm obviously not their target market. This item is aimed squarely at vinyl noobs who want to grab everything in one go.

17. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

I am an innocent bystander that somehow got hit by accident.

May have to get one to test out.....;)

Montycat likes this.
  18. lico

lico AK Subscriber Subscriber

The new Technics would be nice. Curious to see Teac's new TN-4D too. Announced at CES but haven't seen any pics yet....

TEAC also teased a couple of new turntables at the show: the TN-4D and TN-3B.

The TN-4D is a direct drive two-speed deck. It uses a special low-profile motor and features a static-balanced s-shaped tonearm made by SAEC. Attached at the end is a Sumiko Oyster moving magnet cartridge.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/teac-...ies-amplifiers-and-new-turntables-at-ces-2019

19. garyush

garyush New Member

Just seen video posted by techno dad on the 1500c at ces with some one from technics. TT price point of $1400 w/cartridge

20. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Addicted Member

I for one am happy about the $1400 price point on the 1500C.
    If it had been under $1000, I would have been a buyer.....and I DO NOT need another table!!!!!
    :D