New technology with vintage amps - solution available?

TVC15

I purchased a new projector (Epson 2150) that has only HDMI and VGA inputs. I don’t have an AVR. In my current set-up the DVD deck audio goes to a Yamaha DSP-E390 amp (rear, subwoofer, center speakers) and a Kenwood KA-3500 amp for the front speakers.

I might have 3 options to run the DVD audio with this new projector:

1. PC video playback into the VGA jack. Audio from PC to Yamaha amp.

2. Buy a BlueRay player with HDMI video out to the projector that has RCA, Optical or Coax audio connections to the Yamaha amp.

3. Buy an AVR in addition to the BlueRay player.

Will options 1, 2 work and not defeat the audio channel separation available on the DVD?

Is there an audio processor available that handles the BlueRay's audio signal? If so, could I use that and my separate amps – avoiding the AVR purchase?

I read that HDCP version 2.2 is necessary when buying a new AVR. Epson confirmed my projector is HDCP 2.2 – does that mean a stand-alone BlueRay player has to be 2.2?

I'm not concerned about any other video inputs. (Playstation, cable, satellite.)

Any suggestions on available options under $300 - $400 would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:
Now that your projector purchase has forced you into the modern age, it's time to make the jump and embrace modern technology.

You can get a very serviceable blu-ray player for < $100. Sony makes several as do other manufacturers. I have several of those Sony's.

As for a receiver, you should be able to find one here and still come in under budget.

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma.../receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

I read that HDCP version 2.2 is necessary when buying a new AVR. Epson confirmed my projector is HDCP 2.2 – does that mean a stand-alone BlueRay player has to be 2.2?

Largely depends on what you want to get out of it. HDCP 2.2 is the current version and it's what's necessary to get 4K with all the bells and whistles. Technically, if you're not doing 4K with all the bells and whistles you don't need HDCP 2.2. However, if you do eventually want to move into 4K then getting all HDCP 2.2 stuff is about as future proof as can be ascertained at this time.

This is just the kind of application that Oppo players are great for, too bad they're rolling up the carpet

You are confusing audio with video in your post. Your audio will be handled in the same way if you buy a new blue ray player that has RCA audio outputs. Then just run the HDMI cable to your projector and leave the audio path the same. That's what I do. You can get a long HDMI cable to run from the blue ray to the projector. They have built in drivers that run off the power present on the HDMI jack.

You are confusing audio with video in your post. Your audio will be handled in the same way if you buy a new blue ray player that has RCA audio outputs. Then just run the HDMI cable to your projector and leave the audio path the same. That's what I do. You can get a long HDMI cable to run from the blue ray to the projector. They have built in drivers that run off the power present on the HDMI jack.

Except that quite a few BD players these days don't have any analog outputs until you move into the higher models. I saw no price restrictions by the OP, but it's just a FYI/FWIW.

I've never tried one of the HDMI audio extractors but apparently a fair number of people go that route in similar situations.

Also, it appears the Epson has audio out so perhaps that's an option too - run audio out from the projector back to the receiver/processor. The E-390 processor is Dolby Pro Logic only so there is no digital connection to/for it, just analog input.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments.

I’ll pick up a BlueRay player and use the audio out on the Epson if the BlueRay does not have RCA jacks for audio. I was reluctant to use the Epson stereo audio jack because of the small wire size.

Compared to my current audio set-up with the E-390 processor, would I gain anything by buying a good, used, non HDMI AVR?

Thanks

Now that your projector purchase has forced you into the modern age, it's time to make the jump and embrace modern technology.

You can get a very serviceable blu-ray player for < $100. Sony makes several as do other manufacturers. I have several of those Sony's.

As for a receiver, you should be able to find one here and still come in under budget.

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma.../receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

Accessories4less has some amazing prices on Integra home theater receivers right now...network receivers.

I did some research on this new (for me) technology and have decided to focus on a Blu-Ray player with 5.1 or 7.1 analog audio output into my existing audio system. I was going to buy a used Samsung BD-F7500 for $50 but decided to continue the search for a more recent model and found the Samsung BD-J7500 (new, warranty, etc.) The J7500 was released in 2015.

Are there other manufacturers of good Blu-Ray players (in addition to Oppo and Samsung) with 5.1 or 7.1 analog audio in the model years 2015-2018? Trying to keep this at $200 or less.

Thanks

For $229 you can get a xbox oneS and have a 4k player but it only has optical out or hdmi. It is a very nice digital source with expanding apps library....and of course now your talking video games on a big screen!

Use the HDMI out put of the new player to feed the projector directly and use the stereo out put to feed the stereo unit.

Back
Top Bottom