New to DAC/Amps - help with HD6xx

Hey there! I just joined the drop from the HD6xx on Massdrop and can't wait for these bad boys to show up in December. In the meantime I was hoping to enlighten myself on the basics of DACs and Amps since I noted the impedance on these headphones are 300 ohms. Will an iPhone 7 plus be able to power these? Do I need a DAC AND an Amp, or just one or the other? What are some budget friendly options for a desk top set-up (dont think I will be using these on the go). I have a MoBo with integrated audio (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/F9Gj4D/msi-motherboard-z170agamingm5) is this enough to power the headphones? I wanna get the best performance I can out of these headphones without spending more than $100-$200 on any additional parts/components. Thanks for all the help and insight!!!

Here is the link to the drop page as well: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx?utm_campaign=Transactional%3A Joined Drop&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Transactional%3A Joined Drop&utm_content=1498744837303.064605167365803092534486&referer=J2DTUT

You likely need a better amp to drive these than the integrated mobo audio. Unsure if IPhone is up to snuff, but you should be able to find a DAC/amp combo or even separates for under $200, perhaps used, that will be much better than the mobo.

You can start with a Schiit Mani-Modi combo for starters and you can go from there. they will power your mass drop just fine. I might jump in too.

I'm fighting the temptation to also order the HD6xxs, I have a Dark Voice OTL tube amp that should pair very nicely with them.

I have a Bottlehead Crack kit to build - I figured jumping on the HD6xx deal oughta spur me into action and get the thing built, already.

But I've been wrong before... I am not easily spurred.

You likely need a better amp to drive these than the integrated mobo audio. Unsure if IPhone is up to snuff, but you should be able to find a DAC/amp combo or even separates for under $200, perhaps used, that will be much better than the mobo.
Would I be better off going straight for a higher quality amp - like the $180 Schiit offering? Would a DAC not really be needed from my PC?

These are, supposedly, nice headphones, I'd say you want an external DAC to get the best out of them. I'm very happy with a Centrance Dacport Slim that can be had for $100 from MD but with 32 Ohm cans, supposedly it can drive headphones up to 600 Ohms but I'd look for reviews about it as its USB powered which has its limits.

Those Massdrop HD650s would benefit from a better headphone amp. If you want a decent, inexpensive DAC you might look at the Audioquest Dragonfly.

I am jumping in as well, even though I already spend too much on headphones recently...... but from what I understand it is a deal you don't want to miss. As of now (could change as we are many months out) I am planning on pairing them with a Schiit Vali 2 and one of their DACs, most likely the Modi Multibit.

Back
Top Bottom