New to me C100

I run XLR's from my D100 to the McPre. Works great and sounds better than the unbalanced RCA connections.
Oooohhh; that's just what I wanted to hear. I just ordered a pair of Kimber xlr's and I plan on doing just that.

Looks good in your rack! FWIW, I'm running fully balanced from an OPPO BDP105. SQ is definitely improved this way. Glad I could help answering your questions as best as I could. Enjoy!
Antoine - according to Oppo the 105 is a fully balanced design from the word go. I bet that does sound good.

Well, you'll have to report on this and let us know. Dan has the same DAC connected to his C100 but I'm honestly not sure if he's using RCAs or XLRs. Dan?
XLR from day one, if at all possible anything I have is connected with is with XLRs
Oooohhh; that's just what I wanted to hear. I just ordered a pair of Kimber xlr's and I plan on doing just that.
Very good choice, I like Kimber products and wish I had all my XLR IC in Kimber.

Congrats on the c100 addition to your system and can understand the sonic difference from the C33 you have.

Glad you are enjoying :) I hooked the D100 up to the C100 a few times to test how it would sound. It was a great combo.

XLR from day one, if at all possible anything I have is connected with is with XLRs

Very good choice, I like Kimber products and wish I had all my XLR IC in Kimber.

Congrats on the c100 addition to your system and can understand the sonic difference from the C33 you have.
There's another issue lol............now I'm noticing sonic differences in cabling. There I was perfectly happy for years with some better quality Monster speaker cables. Then some MIT's speaker cables came home with me from last weeks audio meet and some Kimbers will be getting added next week.

Having spent a little time with the C100 there's a few other things I've noticed. The bass is a big improvement over the C33. Enough so that I've now taken my 18'' def tech sub out of the mix as it is not needed. At one time I had 2 of those 18'' monsters now I find I'm better off with none.
Another thing I've noticed is the C100 is completely flawless. Normally buying a 20 year old piece of equipment means you have to put up with a blemish or something that doesn't work or a light out or something somewhere that is not 100%. Not so with my new toy I cannot find anything wrong anywhere which to me is downright amazing for a 20 year old piece of gear.

That IS amazing for a 20 year old piece of gear. Previous owners seem to invariably mar them up; you're very lucky on that C100.

I can see how a preamp can improve bass, but it's hard for me to imagine how it can eliminate the need for a sub, particularly the bass that can be had from a huge 18" sub. let alone 2 of them. I suppose it must be about quality rather than quantity.

You guys with these dual chassis Mc preamps are killing me. Those TOTL Mc pres are haunting me to try one.

Last edited:
That IS amazing for a 20 year old piece of gear. Previous owned seem to invariably mar them up; you're very lucky on that C100.

I can see how a preamp can improve bass, but it's hard for me to imagine how it can eliminate the need for a sub, particularly the bass that can be had from a huge 18" sub. let alone 2 of them. I suppose it must be about quality rather than quantity.

You guys with these dual chassis Mc preamps are killing me. Those TOTL Mc pres are haunting me to try one.
And matched up with your D100 you will not be wanting anything else. Well maybe, a pair of big mac mono blocks would round out the package..:p

And matched up with your D100 you will not be wanting anything else. Well maybe, a pair of big mac mono blocks would round out the package..:p
I really can't envision ever replacing my strapped 2500's. Of course you never know if the right deal comes along on a pair of modern mono's all bets are off.

I imagine if you had a way to switch between all the SS preamplifiers from the C-100 onward using the same source, amp etc. there isn't anyone over the age of 14 that could hear a difference. :)

Back
Top Bottom