New to me old lens

Old Ears too

Was surprised the other day when I got this lens in the mail from my niece's husband.
Nikon Series E 100mm 2.8.
Great size, light weight, and sharp where it counts, what more could I want?
I've been keeping my eye out for one for some time now. He got it as part of a trade and already had one so sent it my way. I'm looking forward to using it a lot.
Here it is sitting on my Sony A7ii.

DSC06034 (Large).JPG

Is that af with that adapter or only mf? It's nice to come into lenses like that. The closest I can come to that lens is a Minolta MC tele rokkor PF 100 2.5 on my A7ii. Enjoy your new lens and post up something with it.

It's only MF with that adapter. With the TAP adapter it would be auto focus. I haven't tried that yet.
Here's a shot I took this afternoon with it.

DSC09143-1 (Large).jpg

That's a fantastic lens. Nice and lightweight. Not quite as nice as a manual AI/AIs 85mm f1.8 or f2, but available at a much lower price and so lightweight, esp useful when used with something smaller than a full frame digital or a semi-pro film camera.

I've had one since... I don't know how long. Since before I had a DSLR, when I still regularly used an F100. A few years ago, I got a scorching deal on a second copy while on vacation, along with a 28mm f2.8 E Series. The 100mm is a much, much better lens.

I can't overstate how much I enjoy these lenses. I might call it the best long-ish portrait lens available in the Nikon world and/or mirtorless cameras at the prices these regularly sell for.

I put it on my Nex-7 and it really makes for a nice lightweight package that's for sure. I like that it isn't all that heavy as some of the old glass I have is.

The Series E lenses are really underrated. In the right hands, they are very capable lenses. At one time, I had all the Series E primes. Now, I've only got the 75-150E left. I've bought and sold a LOT of lenses in the last 10 years, but this lens is one that I'll keep.

Back
Top Bottom