New to me Technics SL-D3 - Thanks AK!

Wolverine

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
IMG_1063.JPG Came across a D3 today in a local thrift. Missing the head shell but I have a spare. Cover looked like hell and knew it would be a project. Reading the DYI sticky here I saw someone mentioned toothpaste as cheap method for cleaning covers so I thought I would try it . Dang if it did not work on cleaning it up significantly! I will still need to use another polish but I have hope I can get back into pretty good shape. I swapped out the Pickering XV-15 I was running on the SL-1700 and I really like how this turntable sounds.

Attachments

• IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 19
Controls can get 'sticky' and need cleaning otherwise a nice TT

Never used a D3 but did play a D2 for a couple weeks

Even though everything seemed to be in good working order ( a little speed drift) when I tested it at the store I did give the Speed control a couple of shots of Deoxit and worked it back and forth. I played it for about 4 hours and it was solid as a rock with absolutely no drifting. The track repeater also worked flawlessly.

It looks like it was well cared for other than the fact it looks like something was stored on top of it for several years. That probably protected the cover from getting scratched by anything else but there are 4 rings from the footprints of whatever it was that sat there. I should be able to give it a final cleaning/polishing tonight with something a bit better than toothpaste!

I have a D3, good table. I found a huge improvement in swapping out the cables with some component video cables (low capacitance) soldered to the board.

I have a D3, good table. I found a huge improvement in swapping out the cables with some component video cables (low capacitance) soldered to the board.

One of the things I like about the Dual 1019 turntable that I have is that the cables plug in so you can easily swap them out and upgrade or change the cable length whenever you want.

IMG_1067.JPG Got some clear coat buffing compound and went at it again tonight. Almost there but will go at it again tomorrow night.

Back
Top Bottom