New to tape with a Pioneer RT-707 and I'm enjoying it

Onebean

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just wanted to post a picture of my set up and say how much I'm enjoying my new to me tape deck. I've been listening to a few pre-recorded tapes, and I recorded my first tape last night. The sound quality is terrific, and it's very pleasing visually too. It's pretty awesome to have this tape deck complimenting my turntable, I'm all in on analog. Excluding my speakers, my whole system was put together off Barter Town. I can't get enough of it.

Onebean

IMG_0295.jpg

I had two of them through out my time. I purchased my first one when they first came out in the 70s but had to sell it when I came upon hard times. I got my second on for free in the early 80s and fixed it up myself since I had access to alignment tapes and test gear since I working working in a TV station back then. It was the ultimate party machine for me back in the 80s. I still have all of the tapes I made back then. I now longer have it and now have a TEAC A-6300 which I enjoy very much. At times though I do miss having an RT-707, it is a great machine. Enjoy!!!

MDE, how does the RT-707 stand up to the A-6300 sound quality wise in your opinion? Of course, I'm already dreaming about a 10.5" machine. I bet those were some good parties in the 80's.

Hi onebean,

enjoy it!!! They are fine machines indeed. Get a good supply of IPA and keep the heads and guides clean with cotton buds. I have recordings which were done on mine in the late 70s when I bought the machine new. I used it to preserve the condition of my Vinyl collection. The machine was hammered and I wore it out. At the end the heads were shot!!

I progressed onto Revox machines then but the older RT707 tapes are still playing well!!!

GPS16

Congrats on your new to you machine!
Don't worry about comparing it to others, learn how to get the most out of it you can.
I recently listened to a tape I made back in '85 on mine and it brought back all the memories of doing the recording just so. No needle drops, nice transitions between songs etc.
You should enjoy that machine for years to come.

MDE, how does the RT-707 stand up to the A-6300 sound quality wise in your opinion? Of course, I'm already dreaming about a 10.5" machine. I bet those were some good parties in the 80's.
The parties were legendary, and the tapes still sound good. It is very hard to compare the two machines as both reproduced recordings with excellent response and good SN Ratio. Back then I used Maxell XL-1 on the RT-707.

I have both the RT&-707 & RT-909. The 707 holds up well in comparison between the two units. Treat yourself to some sealed maxell tape and enjoy the recording & playback.

Congrats on your excellent choice ! The 707 is considered by many to be one of the best 7-inch decks....the sheer weight of it should speak volumes about it`s build quality :)
Many of us here have these decks among our gear !

upload_2018-2-8_13-56-55.png

Welcome to the club. Just be warned it is an addictive area of the hobby. There is lot of technical advice available if you ever have trouble with an RT-707 and it is one of the more serviceable units since parts are available easily and there are no rare ICs which turn many other units into door stops eventually.

The RT-707 is a great sounding unit. I now have a 15ips 2-track unit and basically it puts 6dB more between you and the noise floor (compared to 7.5ips 4-track). Sadly, genuine prerecorded tapes at 15ips 2track are rarer than rocking horse shit (you will see so-called studio and radio station copies on ebay... don't believe 99% of it).... enjoy they 707 until you really must have the extra dynamic range for your home recordings.

I found another Rt 707 on this spec rack, I will never get tired enjoying this decks, just little love and they will sound amazing and last fo years!!

Gustavo

image1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom