New to Tubes - Is this worth it?

Thanks for all the input.

I don't have any cherished vinyl at this point so I think I'll give the original TT a run if it works.

I'll try and power it up when I get home.

I don't doubt that you will be able to get the TT operational... I just think that the heavy tracking tonearm and the ceramic cartridge are the weakest link in the audio chain in those old consoles.

One recaps the amp for better sound. One installs the best tubes the budget allows for better sound. I see swapping the TT as simply an extension of that thinking.

If you restore a vintage car, say a '62 e-type, you want to make it 100% original...anything less is not a restoration and will diminish the value to a purist collector. But if you want better performance you dump the Lucas (Lord of Darkness) electronics and the unsynchronized Moss gearbox.

But it's all just choices, no right or wrong, and for me the process is a large percentage of the fun.

All the best with this adventure!

Thanks for all the input.

I don't have any cherished vinyl at this point so I think I'll give the original TT a run if it works.

I'll try and power it up when I get home.
It's always a best practice to have a small but sincere supply of cannon fodder rekkids handy for test purposes.
IMO, anyway.

:)

I have a schematic of the RC3530 and an expanded amp section, but probably too big to attach here. May be close, at least the output section. email tbavis(at)rochester(dot)rr(dot)com

When you power it up, use a variac and dim bulb tester to bring it up for testing, and when your sure there are no major issues, recap it, replacing the electrolytic and paper caps.I am unfamiliar with that console, but it looks like a nice one. The console appears to have the stereo decoder, and an extra box that I don't know the function of.(the perforated one) I think it has the system that vacuums the dust from the record while it is playing also. The extra box may be a transmitter for a "music distribution system" system.
When you power it up, use a variac and dim bulb tester to bring it up for testing, and when your sure there are no major issues, recap it, replacing the electrolytic and paper caps.I am unfamiliar with that console, but it looks like a nice one. The console appears to have the stereo decoder, and an extra box that I don't know the function of.(the perforated one) I think it has the system that vacuums the dust from the record while it is playing also. The extra box may be a transmitter for a "music distribution system" system.

I agree with s-peterson on the use of a variac, but would need to know it's tube compliment to know, if it's worth restoring.

That's one of GE's better consoles so yes, it is worth restoring especially the amplifier. It uses the standard industry tubes and output tubes that we all know and love.

Back
Top Bottom