new to turntables

bigchainring

Hi
I am new the the AK web site. I have a (probably low end) stereo system, and just obtained a turntable.
I'll see if I can find a turntable forum, but my main question is:
Is there a piece of equpiment or part I can replace to make my vinyl listening experience better? What change would make the most difference in sound quality?
Thx
Matt

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675
Turntable: Sony PS-LX430 run through Pyle preamp
Stylus: Audio Technica AT81CP
5 speakers, passive SW

Welcome! Yes, we certainly have a turntable forum around here...plenty of vinyl lovers. And, for ideas on what to play check out the "Vinyl Only Spin List" under "Music Forums".

Hello and welcome. What speakers are you using and what cartridge does the turntable have mounted? If you don't know take a few pix. In my opinion a record/turntable weight,good set up(balance etc) and good cleaning of the records will greatly improve your experience. Please keep us posted and ask QUESTIONS-LOL.

Welcome to your vinyl journey!

You probably won't hear too much difference or improvement by upgrading any one piece of your system at this point - assuming everything is working correctly.

But that's ok. Choose your upgrades so that more of their potential can be revealed as you make more upgrades down the road.

Excellent speakers are a must if you want to reproduce music well. Period. They are also the hardest to recommend because they all sound so different.

An excellent amplifier is a must to feed your excellent speakers. If the amp delivers crap, your speakers will play crap.

Choose an excellent phono cartridge. If you upgrade tables later, the cart can be moved to your new table. They all sound different, and yes, when the rest of your system is revealing enough, you really DO start getting what you pay for.

EDIT: Just noticed your TT has a P-Mount cart. I would look for a table with a standard mount cart rather than upgrading the P-mount. A used Rega with RB-250 or RB-300 arm are good values.

I would ditch the Pyle preamp and buy a Schiit Mani. (About $100) It's a very good value, will handle MM and MC carts, and will sound way better than the Pyle. As you refine other areas of your system, the Mani will fit in nicely.

Finally, check out HiViNyws Channel on YouTube. The guy owns more preamps, cartridges, and tables that I will ever own and is no-nonsense when it comes to reviews. I learned a lot from his videos.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom